Rotary vs. a stationary vise

It's just a one way bearing in the rotation handle mechanism.

The Master series and the Presentation 4000 series have it too.

It doesn't "click", but it functions like a ratchet wrench does. You can only spin the head in one direction with the lever, unless you lock it out.

RCFetter wrote:
I don't understand what the "ratchet" is either but it is mentioned in the description for the Presentation 2000 (3rd line down - "a ratchet rotary actuator"):

Presentation 2000 Cam Series Vises

If you look at the picture in the link shown, you'll see that the each vise has a black arm that hangs down at the left of the vise. If you pull that arm toward you, the arm swings around the shaft that holds the jaws, but doesn't turn the shaft -- the jaws stay in place. If you push it away from you, the rachet engages, and the shaft turns, rotating the jaws.

It's not really that useful of a feature, but it does serve to make the rotary function unusable if you turn it around to tie left handed, or try to counter wrap a rib or body.

Only really useful thing about it was that it allowed the handle to be out of the way if you flipped a fly upside down - like tying a Clouser minnow, for example.

I used to own a Masters vise. Nice vise, but it really didn't do anything I needed it to do that the Traveler couldn't - especially when considering the price...

I've used a traveler since they came out. A little miffed that the cam jaw upgrade cost so much but I don't use it because it makes me feel better. I tie better flies with it. The rotary vise, super saddle hackle and cul de canard are the biggest advancements in tying in my 40 years. If anyone has a renzetti over and above a traveler you can't get used to please let me know. I've got an old fenwick FG in the rafters to trade.

Thanks for the information Redeitz - very helpful of you ;-)

The 2 biggest changes in my tying came when I started using a rotary vise, and getting a hackle gauge.

I have a dynaking pro and the dyna king side winder, with both sets of jaws.

I picked up the sidewinder when I started tying commercially.

For tying streamers, you'll notice an immense difference in tightness and speed.

A tip for tying rotary that I was taught from the fella I worked for.

DONT use the bobbin holder EVER! No half hitches either. really there's a time for it, but its pretty rare. I've never needed one. I would bet you can do the same on the renzetti's. I'll report back next week when I get my hands on a traveler while I'm down south.

example, you're doing a wooly bugger. Tie in the tail, tie in the hackle, tie in the chenille. Take a turn or two of the chenille, now hold the bobbin and material in your right hand (for a righty) and spin with your left. I like small ceramic bobbins, mediums are usually too long for my short fingers. The thread goes right in front of the chenille, the body is almost glued on! I've seen guys hold it a couple different ways, they all work. Its a bit goofy at first, and harder to explain than it is to do.....once you figure out how to hold, you'll be in. For the hackle I let the bobbin hang, being there's only 5 turns or so there's no need to use the holder here either. Its faster to back off a couple turns if needed than use the holder.

Works well for any similar streamers, fur, chenille etc.

I've never tied on a Renzetti, only the dynakings, a regal which imho is terrible for comm tying due to the heavy spring, I comm tied a couple winters on it and destroyed my hands! a superior 2A when teaching, and of course the Thomson that came in a kit when I first began.

The other downer of the regal is shooting small hooks at mach 5. its fun once, good luck finding the blasted things in the carpet LOL! In my case it was a barracks room. Things didn't go well during health and welfare inspections. Something about totes of dead critters skins and feathers along with hidden hooks. fun times!

the only downfall with the sidewinder is the adjustment mechanism is in the way on smaller or certain flies, mostly presentation which I do very very little of. I bounce regularly between the two. True Rotary for certain patterns will really speed up your tying if you're interest in comm stuff. They are worth every penny!

I'd really like to find a handvise....if anyones in south central with something like this I'd like to check it out.

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Fly-Tying/Hand-Vice/5,15416,compact.html

Back