Rookie

Just a tip. Go to your local library and look at the books and dvds on flyfishing there. I find the books will help you locate areas to fish, talk about types of gear and techniques from rigging to casting. (free) I was plesantly surprised at what my library carried.

I also would recommend based on the numbers of folks evolving through their gear (noted from above in the link) you look on Ebay for used equipment. I am not an Ebay guy, never bought anything there but my buddy gets AWESOME deals on there. I am the kinda guy that likes to be able to have a little more recourse and deal directly with the manufactor or a flyshop. But if you buy other stuff on there why not. Paul

Ok great, so lets talk leaders. How many leaders do you usually take with you on an outing. I've been looking at how to tie knots but I don't know how often the break or how often they need to be replaced.

I have a leader wallet. Looks kind of like a regular wallet but filled only with little zip bags just the right size for leaders. Every once in a while I buy a bunch and fill it. Some days I only leave wit teh one on my reel. Other times I have a wallet full. What is more important is to have a few different size spools of tippet material to be able to reconstruct or alter your leader when necessary.

I have a ziplock bag to hold my leaders. When I buy them, I put them in there and then they go in a gear bag. I have several in my vest and the bulk in the gear bag. The vest has a ziplock filled with leaders too, still in their little plastic bags.

As for tying knots, get used to it. Get some cheap mono and practice tying them. You'll need to re-tie tippet to the leader often. Sometimes more than you would like. I'll change a leader when its pretty tattered or in cases where I'm just sick of tying tippet to my leader. Generally though I use tippet as a whole spool is more economical than replacing the whole leader, even the flouro is cheaper that way.

awesome I'm learning so much on here. I'm already addicted and I haven't even hit the water yet with a fly rod.

When I first started I would use this method of leader/tippet connection.

Buy a standard tapered leader, 7-9 ft and tie a double surgeons loop on the end of it. http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/DblSurgeons.html

Cut off a piece of tippet (long enough) and tie another dsl on one end of it. Put your tippet loop half way through your leader loop and then insert the tag end of your tippet through the tippet loop. Pull tight and you instantly have your connection. Once your tippet gets too short cut it off and tie on a new piece. This will save you from having to reconstruct your leader. Eventually you'll probably want to do it differently but for the time being that should work out well for you (unless you get knots in your leader which is bound to happen eventually)

Hopefully thats a good tip for you in these beginning stages.

If you can tie that loop, you can tie tippet directly to your leader with Strength-wise.exactly the same knot I'm also not a fan of loops in mid leader. I use them between my fly line and leader but I, personally think loop leader to tippet connections are weak.

BTW that site will be your best friend for a while...

Tom while I don't use that connection anymore and haven't for quite a few years when I first started that was my go to rig. I know some guys don't like but I never had it break or come apart even when landing steelhead. Easy and effective is the key so I say go with whatever works best for you.

On a side note I am unable to resolve the link you posted though it sounds like it might be a great site.

good stuff, one of the things I may do to learn how to hook fish is use live bait for a little with my fly rod on the pennypack for sunnies. Any suggestions on hooks/sizes. I plan on buying my flies from Cabela's to start since it will be awhile until I have the time to learn how to tie my own flies.

Also when you find your local fly shop ask them to give you a quick rundown on how to tie some basic knots like the DOUBLE SURGEON'S LOOP,when i first started i found it to be a lot easier when someone showed me how to tie knots then reading it on paper or on the internet.also ask alot of questions like what are they biting on and ask them to show you the fly and what sizes.i started about this time last year and i still ask all kinds of questions when i visit the fly shop...try and stock up on flies before you hit the water cause you might be in the trees alot or sometimes when you first start learning to cast you might snap you fly off and you will be fishing with no fly on your line till you check it.. that happend to me about a million times..haha.but most of all never give up there had a be 100 times when i wanted to snap my rod in half and go home and give up..then after a while when you get in the swing of things there wont be a day that goes by when you find yourself day dreaming about flyfishing....have fun

Is there much of a difference between a 4 wt and a 5wt line? Any recommendations as to which I should go with?

Others have mentioned it and I concur. Either a 8ft 6 5wt or 9ft 5wt would be most ideal to start with and for most PA streams. Don't pick something based soley on appearance, recommendation or price. Get a chance to feel several rods load and cast them. Then select the one that feels best within your price range. I would say medium-medium fast is probably the action you'd be looking for.

Get some sponge spiders for that bluegill hole and fish them on top. Maybe a couple small nymphs under an indicator. It'll be just like using a bobber. You won't need any bait.

Not sure what the link problem is. Works fine here.
Hope this address isn't long..try copying and pasting.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=

MikeMus:
As suggested, (by tomgamber),STAY AWAY from "trying bait for a while to learn to hook fish, on a fly rod"! "Bait" sinks and you truly won't learn A THING about "hooking fish with a fly rod", if you can't see what you're doing! Not, that is, until way down the line when you may want to try fishing nymphs, etc.
For now, to learn "what to do when it happens", and for what I personally consider; "the fun and art of all fly fishing", get those suggested foam spiders, or beetles, etc, and try for the sunnies.
Use SMALL ones, in sizes 14, as the largest and #16s as the ideal size range. White and yellow work great for sunnies and most all pan fish, I've found.
"Learning to hook fish on a fly", is pretty well all about "visual reactions/timing" and again, you can't do that, if you can't see the fish and fly interaction!!

Great Advice, I guess I have to get out of that bait mentaility, Good thing is I have someone that gave me some foam beetles and terrestrials so I'm gonna head out as soon as my gear arrives. First I'll have to practice how to cast and roll cast first. But I know an excellent spot for sunnies.

Mike,

Don't forget that you can't roll cast without water! You need the surface tension to make it work. It won't work in the yard. Be sure to practice that one on a pond or something.

You might as well practice your casting on the water. Catching sunnies on a fly requies very little skill, and it makes th whole experience more fun.

Might I suggest some wet flies, soft hackles in particular, and some wooly buggers. You can't fish them wrong and its never the wrong time to fish them. Find some hungry trout and have at 'em.

Mike,

As someone who just started back in February of this year I will tell you that IM POOR!!! VERY, VERY POOR!!!!

Second I started with the same Cabelas combo that was linked on the first page of this thread and I love it. It was a great rod to learn with and it was quite forgiving while I was learning to cast.

Thrid, I have since bought many other rods, reels, line etc... and I found that my favorite rod and reel (believe it or not) is my eagle claw 5ft 4wt. with a cabelas prestige reel. This is my go to rod for trout! I have more expensive gear and I like those rods but my cheap $14.99 ugly yellow eagle claw is my favorite (ill probably catch crap for that one) I have also found a cheap fly line called Nova that I really like as well. as I am not well off and need to cut corners where ever I can I have found some cheap alternatives. If you need some more ideas or want to hit the stream some time send me a message. I am by no means a pro hell I'm not even seasoned, but I would be willing to show you what I know.

Bob

PS I'm in Lansdowne

Back