Roll Casting

double spey followed by a perry poke.
Much easier and less taxing with a 2-handed rod.

I do a great deal of roll casting.

I highly prefer a level line . For me personally, it highly outperforms both WF and DT line in most till casting situations.

The guy in the video said he consideres it a roll cast...

The guy in the video said he consideres it a roll cast...

And according to Dr. Google, it's "is a localised spey cast which has its roots in the Perry Poke technique but with the addition of some extra steps unique to the Tongariro River to account for heavy flies, long leaders and larger indicators we are trying to move with little available backcast space."

A rose by any other name.

And according to Dr. Google, it's "is a localised spey cast which has its roots in the Perry Poke technique but with the addition of some extra steps unique to the Tongariro River to account for heavy flies, long leaders and larger indicators we are trying to move with little available backcast space."

A rose by any other name.
That's fine I'm just telling you what the guy in the video calls it.

While it may be easier with a 2 hander, it can be done just fine with a 9' 6wt.... and then I can effectively fish dries later in the day which ain't so easy to do with the 2 hander 😁

I found the video about two years ago and been trying to get it right and I don't care what anyone calls it, but I call it the Tongariro roll cast. I took some two handed spay lessons when I lived in Washington and know that it is a variant of a one handed spay cast, but I just like the name Tongariro roll cast. By the way I never could get doing a two handed spay cast and now I have two spay rods that I don’t know what to do with them.

Gene,
They make great stakes for tomato plants 😁

While it may be easier with a 2 hander, it can be done just fine with a 9' 6wt.... and then I can effectively fish dries later in the day which ain't so easy to do with the 2 hander 😁
Heck, I've done a double spey with one Ed Shenks's 5 foot rods. Haven't tried adding the Perry poke yet.

The Snake roll is another spey cast that has "roll" on the name.

krayfish2
Gene,
They make great stakes for tomato plants
Thank you for that suggestion but I already have tomato cages for my tomato plants, which reminds me that Fries Greenhouse opens on Saturday, must get down to see what they have this year.

I feel like if you can do anything but row in a one man pontoon you're winning.

Interesting that he does the roll cast, then as the line is rolling....about half-way he pulls it back to really load up the energy in the rod.

While generally satisfied with my ability to roll cast, I've noticed two big differences in my casts. My 10'-6" 3WT Moonshine Epiphany is a dream to roll drys on a 5 wt line. At the other end of the spectrum, my 10' 7 wt Sage Foundation won't hardly roll a 7 wt line and bare leader in my yard. I haven't tried on the water. My other rods roll OK, but neither spectacular or terrible.

What factors have the greatest effect on a roll cast? Rod length? Rod action? Over lining? Fly weight? Water vs grass?
LIne won't roll cast unless done on water. Without the water's surface tension resisting the motion of the line, as you roll cast, the line just comes zinging-back at you and piles up beside you. A 10 ft 7 wt sounds a lot like a spey rod. It should be ideal for roll casting. Ideal, in fact.

A simple stupid thing that I discovered a long time ago...

On a basic roll cast, make sure the loop you are forming and preparing to roll goes past the hand holding the rod before you flip.

If the loop is out in front of your rod hand and you try and flip from there, it just won't roll out as well.

While generally satisfied with my ability to roll cast, I've noticed two big differences in my casts. My 10'-6" 3WT Moonshine Epiphany is a dream to roll drys on a 5 wt line. At the other end of the spectrum, my 10' 7 wt Sage Foundation won't hardly roll a 7 wt line and bare leader in my yard. I haven't tried on the water. My other rods roll OK, but neither spectacular or terrible.

What factors have the greatest effect on a roll cast? Rod length? Rod action? Over lining? Fly weight? Water vs grass?
If you want to try roll casting in the yard have someone (wife, kid, etc) stand on the end of the tippet for resistance/loading.
Next make sure the line is outside the rod tip (away from your body) and make sure there is line behind the rod tip - D-loop. next make your forward cast just like you normally would. - I think there is a lefty Kreh video out there somewhere where he demonstrates this.

Also this may help

When roll casting on a hard surface or grass move as much line on the ground behind you as possible to increase the size of your D-loop. I've actually taught students to roll cast in a paved parking lot all the time by using this technique. Increasing the amount of line behind you will enable you to practice roll casting even without water tension.

Back