Roll Casting

N

NRD

While generally satisfied with my ability to roll cast, I've noticed two big differences in my casts. My 10'-6" 3WT Moonshine Epiphany is a dream to roll drys on a 5 wt line. At the other end of the spectrum, my 10' 7 wt Sage Foundation won't hardly roll a 7 wt line and bare leader in my yard. I haven't tried on the water. My other rods roll OK, but neither spectacular or terrible.

What factors have the greatest effect on a roll cast? Rod length? Rod action? Over lining? Fly weight? Water vs grass?

I have had some success roll casting on grass, though my catch rate suffers. I think the biggest factors are a soft rod tip and a stout butt. Length of rod is not a factor.

I have had some success roll casting on grass, though my catch rate suffers. I think the biggest factors are a soft rod tip and a stout butt. Length of rod is not a factor.
Actually, the longer the rod, the bigger the "D" loop and bigger means heavier, so more weight equates to easier roll casts (think about how long spey rods are...). The water tension helps load the rod during a roll cast. On grass, positioning as much line more behind you as possible increases the weight you are casting and helps with your roll casting on land.

I would agree that longer rods make the job easier, but my recent experience lawn casting a couple of 7 foot, 6 wt HI bamboo rods suggested the softness of the rods and the relative heavy weight of the lines were the key factors in this case. I have an 11 foot 6 wt Cabelas graphite rod that is also a nice roll caster.

Actually, the longer the rod, the bigger the "D" loop and bigger means heavier, so more weight equates to easier roll casts (think about how long spey rods are...). The water tension helps load the rod during a roll cast. On grass, positioning as much line more behind you as possible increases the weight you are casting and helps with your roll casting on land
I would agree that longer rods make the job easier, but my recent experience lawn casting a couple of 7 foot, 6 wt HI bamboo rods suggested the softness of the rods and the relative heavy weight of the lines were the key factors in this case. I have an 11 foot 6 wt Cabelas graphite rod that is also a nice roll caster.
When lawn casting you can tie a series of blood knots in your leader and leave the tag ends about an inch long. The knots will catch on the grass and help increase tension, similar to surface tension water provided

a double taper line works better than a weight forward line
Only if you've got more than the whole head outside the guides. When you include rod length and leader length, you're talking about casts of over 40 feet, longer than most people care to roll cast a single handed rod.

They mend a whole lot better as well.
Again, only if you're fishing more than about 40 feet off.

I only use DT lines, but at typical trout fishing distances, DT and WF lines roll cast and mend about the same.

Again, only if you're fishing more than about 40 feet off.

I only use DT lines, but at typical trout fishing distances, DT and WF lines roll cast and mend about the same

Not really true though. Rods roll cast and mend much easier with the full size of line in the guides. 10 foot rod, 10 feet of line head inside guides, and that eats up a 30 foot head right there. Then if I want to stack mend 10 feet of line above my nymph rig/streamer, etc. that’s another 10 feet of line out of the rod.

Also, it depends on the WF taper and what you plan on roll casting. More delicate trout tapers won’t roll cast larger streamers or a nymph rig very well.

Maybe, it’s just me but a wf with a long head that is designed to turn over some weight has been the best of both worlds to me. I find a line with about a 60 foot head doesn’t limit my roll casting or mending. Also, they throw dry flys just as well out to 60-70 feet, maybe more, but I don’t ever cast further than that.

Not really true though. Rods roll cast and mend much easier with the full size of line in the guides. 10 foot rod, 10 feet of line head inside guides, and that eats up a 30 foot head right there. Then if I want to stack mend 10 feet of line above my nymph rig/streamer, etc. that’s another 10 feet of line out of the rod.

Also, it depends on the WF taper and what you plan on roll casting. More delicate trout tapers won’t roll cast larger streamers or a nymph rig very well.

Maybe, it’s just me but a wf with a long head that is designed to turn over some weight has been the best of both worlds to me. I find a line with about a 60 foot head doesn’t limit my roll casting or mending. Also, they throw dry flys just as well out to 60-70 feet, maybe more, but I don’t ever cast further than that.
Every line that I fish has an identical taper in the first 30 feet regardless of whether it's WF or DT. They roll cast and mend identically. There are of course some specialty lines like bass bug tapers where that's not true. And I agree about stack mending with a lot of line out, which I often do when swinging wets, but it's surprising how far off the fly is before the rear taper comes into play. (I think WF lines are a scam for river fishing. There is no advantage. Not so for still waters.)

While I have a WF on now (it was free) I much prefer a DT when I roll cast. I roll cast A LOT. Did a lot of fishing with nothing behind me but pine trees and rock faces. I also learned to backcast vertically but it'd take a few weeks of heavy practice to get that back. Aaanyyy way...I cant imagine trying to roll out to the far bank and then try to mend over the main current to keep it there for more than a second with anything less than 9ft of rod and a heavy bellied line.

Tend to agree with longer rods being better, but my 6’3” Dreamcatcher Trico Mite bamboo rod will roll cast 30‘ of line as well as any rod I own.

That's it in a nutshell. On the big water I like to wade, the most efficient way to reach the fish is cast and shoot or roll and shoot.

Whatever that was it is impressive! I'll be sure to try that when no one is looking.

I'll bet he thought this get a short, quick answer when he opened this thread.

Back