Rod Size on small streams

If you know how to break the tip correctly and glue it back together - you could have any Fly Rod size you want.

pcray1231 wrote:
In your face PatrickC!!!! ;)

He enjoyed being pcrayed!

Even more priceless!

That may have been your best post ever right there!

We just need Dave in this discussion to make it complete. Good stuff.

glad i could provide the palette for this monumental discussion lol

i still somehow feel as if ive been abused via internet inuendo but i'm even more confused as to what i wanted to achieve by posting this topic lol

dag nammit, ive been pcrayed... touche

Pine Creek - preferred rod size, weight and why?

Get a 7'-6" 4 wt. Brand of your choice.
This was for the op, never fished Pine. :cry:
Ps: Looking to rectify that this season. :-D

I have two rods I favor for small streams. The first is a Sage "TXL" 7 foot 4 weight. It works very well with nymphs, streamers and dry flies. It can even cast some weight if need be. IMO a good all around small stream rod. The other I favor is my Loomis "GL3" 6 foot 6 inch 3 weight. It works nearly as well as the Sage. I do not go below 3 weight on small streams. I have a St. Croix 7 foot 6 inch 2 weight "Avid", but it is my specialized Trico flyrod. IMO the 2 weights and below are too specialized to make a good all around rod.

SlingerFlyRods wrote:

I use a 8'5" 6wt, but many would use a 9'5wt. Longer rods are beneficial here because it's big water.

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
glad i could provide the palette for this monumental discussion lol

i still somehow feel as if ive been abused via internet inuendo but i'm even more confused as to what i wanted to achieve by posting this topic lol

dag nammit, ive been pcrayed... touche

It was pcray abuse. We don't know you well enough to abuse you yet. Your turn will come in another 1000 posts or so. Keep at it. You'll get there.

i must say the responses are all over the board.. all kidding aside it really is informative for me and i thank you all.

luv my 4wt 7.6 St Croix handles beautifully

SlingerFlyRods wrote:

I used a 7'6" 4wt in my limited experience with Pine. Big enough to throw a reasonable streamer if needed. Plenty of rod to handle anything on Pine. I'm not a nympher, so the longer rods doesn't hold much value on Pine for me.

yes i left that part out too.. for throwing dries far out to hit opposing sides i use a 7'9 5wt with a 6wt line to really load it up. not a big nympher myslef either

That's a reasonable choice then.

I actually use a 9 ft 4 wt for most small streams. I find the only time I use my 7.5 or 6.5 ft 5 wts is if the stream is probably less than 6 ft wide. I just got use to fishing with it and I don't get hung up anymore than I do with my small rods. 15 ft wide is what I would consider a medium size stream with a stream Penns creek sized or bigger a large stream.

For pine, a 9-10 ft 5-6 wt for me (lined as rated).

small brookie streams for me = a JP Ross 7'6" 3 wt (or is it 7'9"? ... I'm not running out to the car to check on it!) I it's light enough to feel the fish, but has enough backbone to roll and slingshot when needed. It is small enough to crawl through the rhododendron, but long enough to lift a cast over the rhodo when needed.

Pine... 9' 5wt fast action to handle big weighted flies and can withstand the line "load" when trying to cast across the stream.
My go to is a orvis matrix.

for small streams, it all depends on the stream I'm fishing, as long as I'm close to home or have my arsenal in my truck. I have some short ones, both glass and boo, 5',5'5",6',6'6",7',7'6", in wts from 3 to 6. I like them all and use them all, and they all have pros and cons.
when I'm on the bike and traveling, space is tight, so it's down to one rod for large streams, one rod for small streams, and THAT rod is my 7'6" 4wt McFarland yellow glass, it might not be the best at any one thing, but it does everything I ask of it and continues to impress me.

Back