rod recommendation for small streams

N

nOObmaster

want to go fishing in small streams, there are a lot near me, just need to venture out. i have never fished for trout and never caught one.

can you guys recommend me a rod, Length and Weight appropriate for small stream fishing. the one i have is orvis clearwater outfit 9' 6wt, feels like throwing bricks out there.

You're a bit over-gunned with a 6 wt for sure, but it's not like that rod would be wildly inappropriate. I have fished plenty of trickles with a 9 ft or 8.5 ft 5 wt.

If there are small streams near you, right now is a perfect time to simply take that rod out to fish bigger foam terrestrials and stimulators. Use a leader somewhere in the 7-9 foot range (depending on what your casting space looks like) tapered down to 4x or 5x (depending on the size of the fly you're casting). It's not like a 6 wt is a tarpon rod. It will help you to get the feel for if you actually enjoy the type of fishing, since you've never fished for trout in that setting before.

At some point you might be unhappy with the 9 footer if you're crawling through brush tunnels, but - and I can't stress this enough - don't go crawling through brush tunnels the first time you are attempting to fish small streams for trout. That's not going to be an enjoyable first experience. At the point you've decided you do want to pursue that, you've gotten good suggestions above.

Yep I have a 7'6" 4wt too. Mine's a redington butterstick which makes it fun to catch smaller fish. Doesn't cost a fortune either.

want to go fishing in small streams, there are a lot near me, just need to venture out. i have never fished for trout and never caught one.

can you guys recommend me a rod, Length and Weight appropriate for small stream fishing. the one i have is orvis clearwater outfit 9' 6wt, feels like throwing bricks out there.

How small is small...?

I always prefer the longest rod I can get away with because being able to keep line off of the water is always an advantage.

My small stream arsenal includes everything from a 5'0" 3wt up to and including 9'0" 5wts. The rod I choose depends on the amount of vegetation around the stream that dictates whether I can maneuver in and around the brush and cast effectively.

As a beginner I would buy something like a 7'6" 5wt rod which should be fine at all but the tightest locations and will be a nice addition to your arsenal for other places.

Later on if you find small stream fishing is in your blood and the overgrown places temp you, then I would consider something shorter and possibly lighter.

Have fun!!

How small is small...?

I always prefer the longest rod I can get away with because being able to keep line off of the water is always an advantage.

My small stream arsenal includes everything from a 5'0" 3wt up to and including 9'0" 5wts. The rod I choose depends on the amount of vegetation around the stream that dictates whether I can maneuver in and around the brush and cast effectively.

As a beginner I would buy something like a 7'6" 5wt rod which should be fine at all but the tightest locations and will be a nice addition to your arsenal for other places.

Later on if you find small stream fishing is in your blood and the overgrown places temp you, then I would consider something shorter and possibly lighter.

Have fun!!

Something like this small brook. Not sure if there are fish there but i will find out. It is classified as 'Natural Reproduction Trout Stream' on PA fish and boat website.

Untitled 3

4wt 7’6 that’s fiberglass

Thanks all, I went to a local store tried a few and ended up buying ECHO Carbon XL.
8'4" in 4Wt.

I actually liked like ECHO River Glass, may be i should have bought it, but for some reason ECHO Carbon XL felt right in my hand.

Thanks all, I went to a local store tried a few and ended up buying ECHO Carbon XL.
8'4" in 4Wt.

I actually liked like ECHO River Glass, may be i should have bought it, but for some reason ECHO Carbon XL felt right in my hand.
That's sounds like a good choice. Let us know how you like it.

As always - the gang here has given great advice. My small stream rod is a 7’ Thomas & Thomas “ Beatis “ …. From the early 1980’s. Sliding band handle with a sweet slow action. i sold a old car back in ‘81 to buy this rod … talked directly with Len Codella at T&T in Turners Falls Mass when I ordered it. But I’ll switch gears for a bit ….

aside from the rod you’ll use - the small stream leader you use - in my opinion - is as …. or more ... important, than the 7’ rod used. You’ll need to i) load the rod quickly ii) cast under over hanging branches and brush and iii) probably need to be able to cast a “ dry / dropper rig “ …. And iv) you won’t want your ’leader to fly line connection ‘ to get hung up in your tip top … you’ll want that outside the tip top so you can shoot a quick cast, or “ bow & arrow” a cast into a tight spot, etc etc. that means a small leader … for a small stream.

i ”tie my own”.… and my small stream leaders are 4.5‘ to 5‘ in total … including tippet. I don’t have my SS leader formula handy … but it goes 30lb .. 20lb ..
15 lb red amnesia .. 12lb .. 8lb..6lb … plus tippet... to a total of 5 feet. That’s alot of blood knots …. the Dennison Blood Knot Tool is indispensable.

you wont be able to buy a leader like this … you’ll have to tie it yourself. It will be a game changer for you. It’s easy to do … and a great winter time pass time.

Good luck and ENJOY!!

8'4" in 4Wt.

I often fish for brookies year round, as up in NY, where I am, small streams close to their source are the closest thing I have to spring creeks with water temps moderated enough to not freeze.

In January, I'm bobber doggin' with one heavy nymph. I've tried this with glass, and it is not fun. If you're planning to fish more than just dries, I think you made a good call.

...In January, I'm bobber doggin' with one heavy nymph. I've tried this with glass, and it is not fun. If you're planning to fish more than just dries, I think you made a good call.

Until you whack the carbon rod with that "one heavy nymph..." ;)

8'4" in 4Wt.

I think you made the right choice. I've fished small streams with both glass and graphite rods and I think graphite rods are better.

Until the last year or 2, I was using my 7'9" 5 weight Far and Fine on small streams.
and it worked great.
But had started to wonder about the wisdom of using a vintage rod like that on small waters.

Lately I've been using a 8'6" 4 weight - Boron rod.
It's fine too. The extra 9 inches really hasn't been a problem - so far
And gives me a little more oomph when I come to larger holes or stream sections.

I think you'll like your choice

all you need for the water your talking about is a 3 weight. but thats my opinion. the length should be considered on how the banks look. over all i would say a 7,6" 3 weight would do the trick. dont be concered about a pricey reel. when your fishing that small all the reel does is hold your line.

well, i did went exploring gamelands on a certain stream, not a lot of water. i explored 50% of it. the other 50%, half is on private land and other half i will finish some other time.

Time to explore a different one.

on a different note, saw lot of wild life out there, even ended up facing a startled bear just running towards me at full speed and dead stopped at 40 yards, saw me, turned and ran the otherway. i had my left hand on bear spray and right hand on glock 45, just in case. you never know if it is dinner or something else on a bears mind.

Back