Rod Damage

C

Colweb78

Firstly, just want to thank everyone - i dont comment or post much but read this most days and learn so much from you all.
My question is - how easily damaged are fly rods? Ive been learning on my dad-in-laws 6' for about 6 months without a scratch, and will be getting my own next month. The Orvis Encounter combo looks ideal (saving for a house and dont want to spend more than 200) but everyone i mention it to grimaces and says 'but it doesnt have a 25 year guarantee'
Considering most of the kits with guarantees charge you ~40 bucks regardless of that to have the rod fixed, should this be a big factor in my decision?

It's like insurance on your vehicle, or a concealed carry gun... it's better to have and not need, than need and not have.

All it could take is a gust of wind on a cast with split shot, or a slip on a rock.

You make a good point.....

I think I've returned three rods for replacement in my life. One was a Redington Wayfayer six piece, where the tip section just broke randomly, but was probably weakened from one of many times of being knocked against a tree or a rock. It was worth $35 to get it replaced. The other two replacements were ultralight spinning rods. In none of the cases was my fishing put to a standstill, because I have other rods to use, so if this will be your only fly rod, then the warranty might be a consideration.

And it is like an insurance policy. It's nice to have if you need it. But you don't always need insurance. It could only take a gust of wind with a split shot or a slip on a rock to break a rod, but you could also fish for years with no rod damage.

Another option is to buy a cheaper rod and take the money you saved by not paying for the lifetime or 25-year warranty and use it to replace the rod if/when it breaks. If it never breaks, you've saved that money. If you do need to replace it, you've also saved some money by buying a cheaper rod the first time. If you want to pay for a name and peace of mind that the rod will be replaced (for a small fee), and that is important to you, then buy a rod with a warranty. If not, buy what your budget will support.

If you're trying to save for buying a house, definitely get a fly rod now. It doesn't seem like owning a home ever stops being a money sink, which might make it harder in the near future to feel good springing for a rod.

Haha yeah, its now or never for the rod. I said to the wife you can choose everything about the house, i just want it to back onto the creek for private fishing. But i got the 'hell no, you fish too much already' look.

How many of us, truthfully, could lay back $100-$150 at the time of purchase (knowing it's there) for a replacement fly rod sometime in the future, and not spend it on something before the cheap fly rod breaks?

I'd spend the extra $100-$150 and get a quality rod that the manufacturer believes in enough to stand behind. Then the money would be for a replacement rod.

I have found that TFO makes a great product with a "lifetime" warranty. You get a better rod for a lower cost, imho

My question is - how easily damaged are fly rods? Ive been learning on my dad-in-laws 6' for about 6 months without a scratch, and will be getting my own next month.
If it's a shorter rod, also consider fiberglass which is more resistant to breakage, but if it's a longer rod then graphite has weight advantages.

As others have inferred, some of the more expensive rods are more expensive because their light construction takes them closer to the "edge" in performance & resistance to breakage .... and thus the manufacturers need to fund their associated warranties with a higher purchase price. Meanwhile, some of the less expensive graphite rods are a bit heavier and more resistant but are still very nice to fish with.

Don't buy any rod unless you can either test lawn cast with it, fish a friends rod, or there's some other reason you are sure you'll like it's action. The sales material descriptions are often very subjective and bla-bla. .... Just speaking from my personal experience, others make have encountered other experiences & disagree.

I do like what i hear about TFO rods but im slightly put off by the dual weight setup on the NXT combo - 4/5, 5/6 makes me worry its not really optimised for anything, and its 8'6 not 9'.
As for trying the rods, i'll definitely be doing that but since itll be the first time i cast 9' rods i dont know that i can trust that my sense of 'feel' for the rod will be particularly helpful?

I have never broken a rod fishing. All of my rod breaks were from stupidity and car doors. I would not pay double for a rod simply because it had a warranty. A fly rod is no more fragile than any other rod but they are longer. I have never owned an expensive fly rod or any rod yet I enjoy fly fishing just as well as the next fella. Don't fall into the FF trap.

I haven't been at it as long as many have, but of all the rods I own/have owned I can only recall one instance where I had to send a broken rod back to the manufacturer and make use of the warranty (not counting the Eagle Claw that my dog helped himself to when he was a puppy).

That was just this past year, and it was for my Sage One.

In this case, it wasn't a blank breakage, but rather one of the wire guides had broken right at the thread wraps.

Unfortunately, at the time I discovered it, I was on a tight-ish fishing schedule: I had a trip planned in 2 weeks. So I sent Sage an email to explain, saying that if it was going to take too long, I'd just fish it during my trip, then send it in afterward.

Got an email back within hours that told me what to do and that he would expedite it for me. Ended up with a total turnaround time of like 8-10 days...pretty incredible imho.

Of course, you might say that for what you spend they ought to have service that good, and you'd be right, but 'ought to' isn't the same as 'does', and it was good to know that Sage lives up to the hype in that regard as well.

Here's some options for you....build your own package TFO rod, Cabelas reel and Rio line for $175-ish. Other option is Redington combo for $190-ish. Either one would be fine and rods carry a warranty. Pretty sure they would match or exceed the performance of the combo you'd mentioned in OP. I'd look for a rod 7.5'-8' and in a weight of 4 or 5. You can't go wrong with those. Good luck on your search.

http://www.backcountry.com/tfo-pro-special-fly-rod-4-piece?ti=UExQIENhdDpGbHkgUm9kczoxOjY6YmNzQ2F0MTIxMDAwMDQ&skid=TFO0015-S5WEIA-S8FTS6IN

http://www.backcountry.com/rio-mainstream-trout-wf-fly-line?ti=UExQIENhdDpGbG9hdGluZyBGbHkgTGluZToxOjM6YmNzQ2F0MTIxMTAwMDQx&skid=RIO0054-LEGN-WF3#

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Reels|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105572880/Cabelas-Prestigereg-Plus-Fly-Reel/732340.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-reels%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1102569%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105572880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105572880

http://www.backcountry.com/redington-path-complete-4-piece-outfit?ti=UExQIENhdDpSb2QgJiBSZWVsIFBhY2thZ2VzOjE6MzpjYXQxMDAyMDA0NTQ&skid=RNG000M-S4WEI-S8FTPATHS456

Don't be concerned over the dual line ratings. They refer to 2 different types of lines that can be used on the same rod.

Has anyone suggested getting a rod with an extra tip included? I know most of the big companies don't do this but I've seen quite a few smaller companies do this. A replacement tip, even if its free won't help you much if you are on a trip somewhere and break your rod. Your choices at that point are don't fish or buy a whole new rod. If you have an extra tip its not such a big deal. At least as long as you break the tip and not a lower section.

Edit: I just saw the reply from cold and wanted to add this. I slammed the tip for a rod in the car door. It was totally my fault. When I called St Croix to buy a new tip, they told me they were out of stock for like 2-4 weeks. If they don't have parts you need on hand and find yourself in a spot like cold, you're kind of out of luck. I'm not sure how common this is with other companies.

I would look into 'building' your own rod combo and spending the bulk of your money on a decent rod (maybe one with a warranty). I've put together a two setups for reasonable prices. If you look online you can always find good deals on reels, fly line, and backing. Look into Okuma reels, which are affordable and well made. Check out the Redington Path rod. I got one for my once yearly trip for Steelhead and it is a very nice rod for the price (with a warranty!). I would recommend a 8.5' or 9ft, 4wt or 5wt to start for trout, bass, panfish in PA. Once you catch the fly fishing bug, you'll purchase at least two more rods. Good luck!

I think most on here would agree that the majority of rod damage is due to carelessness, neglect, stupidity, etc. than manufacturing issues.

A replacement tip, even if its free

No such thing.

You're absolutely paying for it, just in that case, you're paying for it whether you ever actually use it or not.

I have several TFO rods, plus orvis, scott, st Croix. I have had to replace TFOs and Scotts several times, unfortunately and the TFO are the easiest to deal with. The TFO Pros at $105 is a great buy, I still use my 3 wt Pro.

I'm on the side that says spend a little more on a rod with a warranty. Accidents happen, even if you are super careful, its the nature of the beast that occasionally you will make a bonehead move and break a rod. I have broken two in my life, both at the tip. The second one was my Helios and let me tell you it is about the worst feeling in the world when you break an expensive rod like that. But it is a great feeling knowing that for minimal cost you can send the rod back and have it fixed.

Its far better in my opinion to spend little more up front for the warranty than it is to not have it and if and when you do pull that bonehead move that sends you to your knees because you broke your favorite rod, you know everything will be alright.

I'd spend the extra $100-$150 and get a quality rod that the manufacturer believes in enough to stand behind.

I think most on here would agree that the majority of rod damage is due to carelessness, neglect, stupidity, etc. than manufacturing issues.

As soon as I read the first line quoted above, I thought "That is totally irrelevant".

Then went on to see mentioned, a few times, exactly what I was thinking that.

Rod makers all believe enough in their product. What they DON'T believe in is your ability to not smash a perfectly good rod in a car door, or to slip down a muddy bank with it, or any of a hundred other ways for the USER to break a rod that the manufacturer has zero control over. Knowing that the vast majority of "warranty" returns will be due to such carelessness, misuse, or mistakes, they simply add enough into the purchase price to in effect self-insure themselves, and have a pad built up to replace those broken, though not faulty, rods.

Back