Rod builders, give me some advice...

JeremyW

JeremyW

Looking to meddle with rods building, specifically right now for a 6'6"-7'6" slower action rod... does anyone have any recommendations? I've found this kit online, but thought I'd reach out to see if any one had recommendations for building a brookie rod.

I don't mind buying parts separately but this kit looks good to go...

I don't own an Epic rod but from reading about them they are highly regarded. In addition to this forum you may want to also read or ask about them on the Fiberglass flyrodders forum.

As for rodbuilding in general for the first time a kit makes a lot of sense. The parts are all appropriately selected for that rod blank. Good luck!

do it. kits are great for starting out. i started with a beginner kit, but after that its all down hill and youll be buying a lot more stuff. i assume you already have a rod wrapper?

#1 - you can do it. Not hard but practice wrap a couple of times before you build.

#2 - Barry at dream weaver rods in Elizabethtown is pretty solid. Not sure of your location but he does good work.

do it. kits are great for starting out. i started with a beginner kit, but after that its all down hill and youll be buying a lot more stuff. i assume you already have a rod wrapper?
I have nothing ATM.

Looking to meddle with rods building, specifically right now for a 6'6"-7'6" slower action rod... does anyone have any recommendations? I've found this kit online, but thought I'd reach out to see if any one had recommendations for building a brookie rod.

I would buy cheaper kit to start with. Then move on to something like this.

a cardboard box with a "v" cut into each end will work and a nice heavy book will work for a thread tensioner. Good luck and post some pictures when your done.(y)🍀

cork handle vise
KIMG1214

wrapper
KIMG1215

KIMG1216

some have a small electric motor that will spin it for you while your epoxy is drying. but i dont have that. i will give my rods a full turn every 15 min until its dry.

the cork handle vise is used to stack cork rings (your choice of color) with wood glue in between each ring. the vise clamps then holds them together until the glue dries.then you sand the cork down into the handle you prefer. i also use cork files to make the center fit over the blank.

I would buy cheaper kit to start with. Then move on to something like this.
Couldn't agree more. There are plenty of cheaper (and still very enjoyable to fish) blanks/kits out there. I think most people will need to build a rod or three before they are actually able to get the best results.

Your first one is gonna have mistakes that bug the hell out of you.

I think the Epic kit has a built in rod wrapper with the cardboard box. If it doesn't use books for tension. Lots of free options to use with building your first rod.

If you want uniform epoxy on your guides, you NEED a rotating device. Don't turn it 90 degrees every 15 minutes or whatever somebody may tell you. Get a motor and build one or get a rod rotator. I like Mudhole for equipment.

I first took the rod building plunge once I read somewhere...."if you can tie flies, you can build a rod" and it's absolutely true. Advice ----> Don't be in a rush... Be very methodical on your first few builds.

Proof Fly Fishing has some affordable kits that make decent rods. The owner is very helpful. Also, his tutorials are helpful: https://www.proofflyfishing.com/pages/tutorials
Their glass blanks build into very nice rods if you are into glass. Also Proof components are extremely good value for their price. The "house brand" guides have become my favorites.

The company got it's start doing large orders of high grade cork rings for on-line rod building groups. Their cork products are still top notch. The pre-formed grips are better than most other sources.

a cardboard box with a "v" cut into each end will work and a nice heavy book will work for a thread tensioner. Good luck and post some pictures when your done.(y)🍀

And in addition to this sage advice, you really don't even need a cardboard box. Many builders hold the blank in their hand and rotate it to wind the thread with no support from anything.

All the fancy gadgets do is make it easier.

Three suggestions:

Try and find a copy of "Fiberglass Rod Building" by Dale P. Clemens. It's an old book but it used to be a rod builder's bible because it's full of a lot of great information.​
Become a member of Fiberglass Flyrodders and get active on the rod building page. There are a ton of knowledgeable and first class builders that frequent that forum.​
If you are on the fence regarding the kit route or that blank, reach out to Matt Draft at Proof Fly Fishing. He has LOTS of reasonably priced components & tools available, plus videos & tutorials on his website. He is also a really helpful & friendly guy.​

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I built a proof lantern 7’ 3/4 wt about 2 1/2 years . It is a great rod I prefer it with the 4wt line . It loads well in close and has enough power to reach out when needed . I built a 6’6 3wt last summer on a JP Ross beaver meadow blank it is an amazing little stick . I have also built a few rods on gb fly shop glass blanks that turned into some decent casting rods I built them for friends as gifts .What ever you choose have fun with it . I feel there is something magical about catching a fish on a rod you built.

I've only built one fly rod and it's a 8' 4wt MHX blank with Fuji alconite single foot guides. AAA cork and wood insert. Beautiful rod and definitely the most fished rod in my fly rod arsenal.

I built my Dad a G Loomis duplicate rod a few years ago with all the same components as his Loomis but on a MHX blank. He loves it over his Loomis but the tip top was kind of small so it ices over in winter. Last year I built him the exact same rod but with larger tip top to prevent icing. He actually built the majority of the 2nd rod with my help in hopes he may pick up the hobby.

Wayne from Wayne's custom rods (Northampton, PA) taught me how to build a couple of Saturday's in his basement several years ago.

Per the Epics, they call them "Fastglass" for a reason. If you're looking for a slow action glass rod, those aren't the rods for you.

Back