Rod Build Thread

I know I mentioned this before somewhere... :unsure:

Even though I'm not a rod builder, I know there is a lot of great rod building information out there. However as a member I am constantly AMAZED at the wealth of knowledge I read on the Fiberglass Flyrodders (FFR) Rod Building and Tackle Tinkering Forum.

That message board covers everything from refinishing to ferruling banks and not just fiberglass rods. In addition some of the better known builders and suppliers are on FFR helping out with info or product info.

If you are a rod builder and haven't checked it out, you should!!

I also want to add another recommendation...

Even though I am a non-builder, I buy custom rod tubes from REC for oddball rods I bought that don't come with tubes. I realize there are other options and probably more than a few that cost less, but I just received a tube that was too long and they are already working on the replacement and don't want the incorrect tube returned.

That's great customer service and why I give them them my measly business.

Finially, kudos to those of you here who are doing such good work!!

i started building one 14 years ago....using a st.croix blank.
never got around to finishing it.

Attachments

• windingcheck.JPG
    windingcheck.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 19
  • reelseat.JPG
    reelseat.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 19
  • first.JPG
    first.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 20
I know I mentioned this before somewhere... :unsure:

Even though I'm not a rod builder, I know there is a lot of great rod building information out there. However as a member I am constantly AMAZED at the wealth of knowledge I read on the Fiberglass Flyrodders (FFR) Rod Building and Tackle Tinkering Forum.

That message board covers everything from refinishing to ferruling banks and not just fiberglass rods. In addition some of the better known builders and suppliers are on FFR helping out with info or product info

I also want to add another recommendation...

Even though I am a non-builder, I buy custom rod tubes from REC for oddball rods I bought that don't come with tubes. I realize there are other options and probably more than a few that cost less, but I just received a tube that was too long and they are already working on the replacement and don't want the incorrect tube returned.

That's great customer service and why I give them them my measly business.
What is REC? I’m in need of a few tubes for my builds.

Agree with cup and book from above for tension control. One thing - I help a group of new rod builders and the cheap rodbuilding stands have poor tension control - it really messes up some of the folks until we fix tings.

A couple things that help me are to make sue the guide feet are well prepped - it makes life so much easier when wrapping.
Also I really try to get the length of each wrap the same on both sides of the guide - I have a metric ruler and measure to the millimeter.

Also just practice wraps - don't be afraid to cut off and re-wrap - plenty of thread on a spool. get everything the way you like before epoxy.

And after 20 or 30 rods I finally made a few that were good! LOL!
How do you prep the guide feet?

Small jeweler's files suitable for dressing guides can be found on Amazon or from harbor Freight. I sometimes use a dremel on stripping guide feet, but I find a larger metal file to work nearly as quickly but with better control over the shape of the guide foot. Either way dome fine grit paper will smooth everything up very nicely after. Taking a few minutes to prep your guides is time well spent.

I use a small metal file. Then I use a sharpening stone for a knife to smooth them out on the top and bottom.

How do you prep the guide feet?
Dremel or small file - depends on how much shaping I need to do. Lately I've been paying more for good guides and the feet need little to no work. I think it's worth it for me.

A file taped to the tabletop does a good job. (I'll also tape the edge of the file to prevent scratching the inside bend on the guides.) I've been leaving the bottom of the feet alone - just making a gradual ramp on the top of the foot to accept the wrapping thread. I'm afraid of flattening the feet so much that they don't seat properly on the round blank, especially at the smaller blank diameters. I also like the idea - true or not - that the varnish finds its way under the wraps and guide feet. Either way, I remove burrs if anything snags on a fingernail or cloth.

Finished my second build, a 6ft 2wt for my brother in law in Maine. This is a gbflyshop fiberglass blank and all other components came from Proof.

I enjoyed tying in the black accent bands next to the chestnut thread. I didn’t enjoy trying to attach and align single foot guides on the tip section of a 2wt blank. I learned a lot on this build and I’m quite happy with how it turned out.

IMG 4716

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 16
Jim,
Very nice build the yellow blank the chestnut thread and the black accent make it stand out.

Jim, did you finish the handle, or is that the plastic film it was shipped in? I'm also curious how a straight grip handles vs. full wells or half wells.
Thanks.

Jim, did you finish the handle, or is that the plastic film it was shipped in? I'm also curious how a straight grip handles vs. full wells or half wells.
Thanks.
Yes that is the plastic the grip came in.

As for grip, I went with a short torpedo and it feels pretty good in my hand. However for my other rods I have half wells grips. I’m not sure which is best for a long day on the water.

6-1/2" snub nose is my grip of choice follow by a full wells followed by a half wells. Just like the look and feel of a snub nose. Custom fly rod Crafters is routinely the best place for me to source snub nose grips.

6-1/2" snub nose is my grip of choice follow by a full wells followed by a half wells. Just like the look and feel of a snub nose. Custom fly rod Crafters is routinely the best place for me to source snub nose grips.
On a couple 6.5', 2-wts I built, I shortened both the (graphite) reel seat and half-wells handle by about one inch to keep more rod action "above the handle." Did I turn a 7" handle into a 6" snubnose?

Back