Rod Actions

fritz wrote:
I really don't cast all that well ....

You underestimate your prowess, sir! You cast like a dream.

Wow lots of posts and I understand what everyone is saying for the most part but I'm still not sure I'm getting the answer I'm looking for. I'm wondering more about fishing techniques I guess and what rod actions are best for the situation. I know the fast action tip rods cast a lot of line which I rarely have a need for. I'm just guessing though that a fast action rod is perfered for throwing bigger dry flies. I'm unsure where it falls for nymphing and casts such as roll casts which is what I use the majority of the time. I'm also guessing a fast action tip though wouldn't be the best for throwing small flies or fishing for small fish. How about a moderate action rod? I'm guessing it would be more forviging with setting the hook on smaller flies since there's more over all bend in the rod.

With getting into the rod building though this is all interesting to me so keep posting!

John,

I think you have your answer....If you want to fish heavier bulkier flys you want moderate to fast action. If you want to roll cast fast action will do the job better. There is just more energy stored int he fast action rods to do these things. With this extra energy also comes blunt and heavier line delivery which may deminish your delicate dry fly presentation.

While a moderate to slow action will help with the drys it will not perform well in the heavy, bulky deliveries.

It seems to me you need to decide what you plan to use it for primarily.

For me, I find that moderate rods do everything OK and nothing well. But when you are planning to fish a stream with no particular game plan it serves you well. If you want to go fish the tricos or a morning bwo hatch that you know is going to come off, you may want the slower rod and settle in on a delicate cast.

If yo plan on fishing streamers early int he season or nymphing on a big river where reach is an advantage a 9' fast action rod will be a good choice and you are likely to not need to throw the softer casts anyway.

Think of it like you would guns....you wouldn't go bear hunting wit a 22 cal. nor would you shoot squirels with a 30-06. And a shotgun will work for both but is messy and not preferred.

Well these are my rods:

9 ft. 5 wt GL3 = best nymphing rod, pretty good with dries, my "all round" performer.
8 ft. 5 wt bamboo = dry fly tool, especially when I'm throwing small flies.
9 ft. 7 wt Sage Fli = steelhead + streamers and such for smallies.
7.5 ft. 4 wt Cortland GRX overlined with 5 wt line = brookie rod, this one's actually pretty fast.

I will say, perhaps my small stream fishing is different from other people. But generally, on the small streams, delicacy is not the name of the game, you need short range power. Always been a pet peave of mine, I don't understand why some people equate small stream with small flies and delicacy. I'm throwin size 12's and 14's through tight windows. They'll hit a size 10 just the same as a 24, so you just want it to be visible, big enough so that they won't swallow it but small enough to hook em. While a lot of drag is still a problem, a little micro drag isn't, I'm usually using 3x or 4x tippet so I can pull it out of the limbs when I need to. And perfect accuracy on the water isn't necessary, those fish go clear across the pool for a fly, but you do need perfect accuracy in the air to get between those branches....

My midge and trico fishing is typically on streams with at least a medium size. In no way to I equate small stream fishin with small flies and delicate presentation.

Maurice- thats more the answer I was looking for. I kind of figured that but I just wanted other opinions. 99% of my fishing is nymphing and honestly I am not one that cares for a delicate presentation the majority of the time. Its just not necessary in my fishing style "most" of the time. I use my G-Loomis GL3 9' 6 weight almost all the time since I'm nymphing. If the water gets really low, fishing a smaller stream, or throwing dries then I'll use my Fenwick HMX 8' 5 weight. Has me thinking of maybe building a 9' 5 weight in a moderate/fast action maybe. I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

Spay & Switch rods use grain weight and head lengths to describe what lines to use on what rod. Now that is enough to empty you wallet finding what line set up casts the best with given rod.
Scratching my head.

I was taught with a mod/fast setup, moved to fast and never looked back.

Back