Rock stuck in ferrule

tried superglue on end of wood and a nail... no go.

weary about trying nail polish remover.

got a fingerprint on my epoxy now because of a slip-up... will rubbing alcohol damage my epoxy to get this off?

I'm gonna try the tap option next.

qwik question, does the rod have one of those lifetime warranties?

Sounds like you're able to fish the rod. If so, then why not just keep using it w/ the pebble up in there until the ferrule breaks? Just make sure that that stone is out of there after the fact and then make a claim on it?

Can't imagine that jamming a bunch of crap up in there will be good for the ferrule fit once/if you do get it cleaned out...

lube and tap it, should work. Do not push on it any further with other end of rod. You might start breaking the inner grafite. When that happens good bye rod. Tap the rod or drop down on a towel on table. If you didn't jam to bad it will pop out. Be careful of lubricants they can eat away at material. WD40 is ok. make sure you tap straight down not on side.

What about threading a string up around the rock and then pull both ends.

I do think tapping is the most logical solution.

My dad is a retired jeweler and has a few small tools, kind of like this gripster, that he used for watch repair and diamond setting. If you can get a hold of it, they have a tenacious grip and should be able to pull it out. Try somebody that does jewelry/watch repair or eyeglass repair, they would probably have something similar.

That tool is kinda what I originally thought...one of those grabbers that can be used for sinks/tub drains, or to pick up nuts and bolts.

Super glue does not adhere well to rock. I would think you would have better luck with something like liquid nails. It is much thicker as well so I was thinking a dab would stay centered in the ferrule better.

it can be tapped out, have done it before....

You could always try a dental/woodworking pick to see if you can get behind it enough to pull it out.

John

kierkan wrote:
You could always try a dental/woodworking pick to see if you can get behind it enough to pull it out.

John

I like this, I was thinking the same thing.

just so happens my uncle is a dentist and I like the other tool idea too..

will let you guys know how it goes

really really appreciate all the thoughts on this.

... it is a lifetime warranty, however, i had custom work done to it and would need new wraps and epoxy/

qwik question, does the rod have one of those lifetime warranties?

Sounds like you're able to fish the rod. If so, then why not just keep using it w/ the pebble up in there until the ferrule breaks? Just make sure that that stone is out of there after the fact and then make a claim on it?

nice idea... does the rod have an unconditional warranty? if not, why do you think rods are so expensive in the first place.

Contact the manufacturer of the blank and ask them for advise and maybe they'll be sympathetical and send you a new one. (Don't forget to cry while you're talking to them.)

just wanted to update this...

I got the rock out, well, 7/8 of it, as a part remains superglued to the ferrule, which I'm sure will work out with time.

I ended up doing some paperclip engineering, getting it above the rock, and after numerous tries, I finally threw some vice grips on the paper clip and got it to slid out.

thanks to everyone who helped.

Glad you got it out, now we'll all know what to do when it happens to us.

This suggestion is a bit late now, but if you had the ability to get access to an ultrasonic bath or a vibrator you could have shaken it out with the help of some lube.

Glad it came out, and once again life teaches us to never under estimate the power of a paper clip.

John

Back