riding a bicycle to fishing spots

Ride all the time. Have two shimano rod holders and a basket on my bike. Love it!

Bike the LR on occasion. Also the lower BH. Both worth while for a change of pace to get away from the crowds. Usually do it to chase hatches. PM me if you like. Velcro straps and a rod tube works for me. Also take a lock and chain there are some vagrants around BH. Never had any problems but an oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure.

Funny you say take a lock and chain.Last year I caught some guy walking off with my unchained bike I left on the LR.Close call but now it's SOP to lock it!!!

I also bought a bike to mainly fish the Lehigh but it also can come in handy at spots with access but limited parking. I was itchin to bike the gorge for a while and then one day (probably 5 yrs ago now) I stopped at Walmart on the way up and gotta cheapo mtn bike for $90...been through a couple tubes but it's worked great otherwise. Also got one for the wife.
The only accessories I have a is the double rack for the back of the car.
I bike with waders and chest pack on, rod in hand. Changing up stream side seems too high maintenance for me...I'm kinda stubborn like that, when it's time to fish, that's all I want to do.

Tom I'm down to bike anytime and alsl looking for people to float

Once I was riding along the NB Potomac with a long rod tube strapped to my back and sticking up well above my head. I ducked under a fallen tree on the trail, forgetting about the rod tube sticking up. It got caught and peeled me right off the back of the bike! Luckily rider, and more importantly rod, were not damaged. Left me laying there laughing, and probably would've been hysterical to watch.

CodorusTUTom wrote:
Once I was riding along the NB Potomac with a long rod tube strapped to my back and sticking up well above my head. I ducked under a fallen tree on the trail, forgetting about the rod tube sticking up. It got caught and peeled me right off the back of the bike! Luckily rider, and more importantly rod, were not damaged. Left me laying there laughing, and probably would've been hysterical to watch.
It was hysterical as I was envisioning it! Glad you didn't get hurt. lol

This is where a nice backpack comes in handy - i put my waders, boots rod, etc in the pack on my back and just ride like that - works ok for 9 or 10 mi then gets tiring. biking on rail trails - few if any overhangng branches to deal with!

I also ride the LR a lot. Every time I go there actually. I like the solitude it provides. But what I REALLY like to use my bike for is getting back to the truck after a long length outing on a small stream. I use my bike on 90% of the my outings and it saves sooooo much time. When I arrive to the stream I ditch my bike upstream where I think I'll make it too and when I get there I just hop on and WHOOOSH! Back to the truck in 5 minutes instead of 30. Saves so much time that could be used for more fishing and not walking.

a long rod tube strapped to my back and sticking up well above my head. I ducked under a fallen tree on the trail, forgetting about the rod tube sticking up. It got caught and peeled me right off the back of the bike!

See, this is why you make the rod tube horizontal. And then make sure to get pretty close to riders goin the other way!!!!

pcray1231 wrote:
a long rod tube strapped to my back and sticking up well above my head. I ducked under a fallen tree on the trail, forgetting about the rod tube sticking up. It got caught and peeled me right off the back of the bike!

See, this is why you make the rod tube horizontal. And then make sure to get pretty close to riders goin the other way!!!!

But only if they're carrying a Shakespeare or Zebco Stockie Slayer. I know it's Winter but we have to keep some semblance of decency around here.

Did it for years on Penns fishing streamers worked great especially when it was low to and had to go farther to get to every hole

Thank you for all the suggestions and replies to my post.Very helpful. Special thanks to DryFlyGuy for the bike basket photos

yeah brad, that's a nice link...I did something similar a few years back, just an overnight though, broken spoke was just the excuse I needed to turn for home instead of a second night & day out in the July heat. The fishing' was good...
IMGP0454-L.jpg

IMGP0529-L.jpg

Tomitrout...nice pics;I really like your setup.Might explore the backpack idea
Question: what's that brown thing on your handle bars?

That's my bivy sack for a bit of shelter over the sleeping bag..

Back