Reel questions

J

jpershke

I've been given an 8 wt rod which I'm thinking I can use for occasional beach trips plus some bass fishing... So don't want to spend a ton on a reel as I just don't think I'll use it that much since I usually fish trout. So thinking low end but sealed reel. Will any sealed reels be ok? Looking at lamson liquid for example. It isn't listed as a salt water reel on their website but does say it is sealed.... Thoughts appreciated.

I've been given an 8 wt rod which I'm thinking I can use for occasional beach trips plus some bass fishing... So don't want to spend a ton on a reel as I just don't think I'll use it that much since I usually fish trout. So thinking low end but sealed reel. Will any sealed reels be ok? Looking at lamson liquid for example. It isn't listed as a salt water reel on their website but does say it is sealed.... Thoughts appreciated.
I think any sealed drag will work for salt, but you need to rinse everything after you get it salty. The nice thing about Lamson or similar makes is that spare spools are readily available and a bit more affordable than the big name salt reels. You can keep a bass spool, salt spool, and maybe a sinking line.

I think any sealed drag will work for salt, but you need to rinse everything after you get it salty. The nice thing about Lamson or similar makes is that spare spools are readily available and a bit more affordable than the big name salt reels. You can keep a bass spool, salt spool, and maybe a sinking line.
Ok thanks.... Although this brings up a secondary question re a" bass spool".... On line I was given the advice to get sa amplitude salt.... Like the reel, I assume that would also work fine for freshwater bass.... would you put something different on a bass spool? I s going under the assumption that if I get gear that can handle salt, it would be able to go both ways.... Thanks!

Cannot attest to a lamson liquid 7+ however, I do use their 5+ and 3+ which are both great reels. Exceptional drag and quality for the money. Not ridiculously heavy, about 4.5 oz. They also have very good warranty programs.

Lamson liquid and remix spools are the same / interchangeable. You can get them in a 3 pack (complete reel with 2 extra spools).

BTW jpershke, sent you a PM

I own several 8 weight outfits with two different style reels. I do have a Lamson liquid 7+ with a spare spool. I like the reel and the flexibility it offers with the spare spool. Just be aware that those spools need to be seated properly and the black gland cap needs to be tight or the spools can be prone to popping out of the housing. My buddy had it happen to him up in AK while Salmon fishing and I had one come apart on me while fighting a decent Striper up in Cape Cod.

I also own two Cabelas RLS reels. My older RLS reel has been my “go to” reel for my oldest 8 weight rod (Cabelas Three Forks 9’ 8 weight). This reel has been a real workhorse for me over the past 10+ years fighting many carp, smallmouth, stripers and many species of pacific salmon. Every year I have several carp take me into my backing on that RLS reel. When a carp goes into one of those freight train type runs it’s really cool to instantly slow them down by tightening down just a click or two on the drag. They are great reels with a solid drag system but are lacking the flexibility of having a spare spool.

The Cabelas RLS and the Lamson Liqiid 7+ reels are both really good reels and I’ve enjoyed fishing both of them over the years.

How much do you want to spend on a reel. I would check on a Colton saltwater reel. I bought one a year ago. You can use it for Bass also. Get one for an 8wt rod. They are a sealed drag, just rinse when done. You drop a none saltwater reel in the suds or get hit by a wave, you would have to go and take the reel apart and rinse it out and grease it. Drop the sealed Colton , just keep on fishing. These are the best reels for the money, plus the owner is a great guy to deal with. Plus they are made in America. Tight lines.

How much do you want to spend on a reel. I would check on a Colton saltwater reel. I bought one a year ago. You can use it for Bass also. Get one for an 8wt rod. They are a sealed drag, just rinse when done. You drop a none saltwater reel in the suds or get hit by a wave, you would have to go and take the reel apart and rinse it out and grease it. Drop the sealed Colton , just keep on fishing. These are the best reels for the money, plus the owner is a great guy to deal with. Plus they are made in America. Tight lines.
The lamson liquid is pretty darn inexpensive so if that works, it sounds like the way to go... With most of my fishing, I don't catch them big enough for the reel to matter but it might be different when I go to the coast in February....

Is the Lamson for saltwater with a sealed drag? You can use a freshwater trout reel in the salt, but it may not last long. Save the money in the long run and get a Colton saltwater reel. Your Lamson Liquid will not last in a saltwater dunking, and fly fishing the surf will get wet. I think the Colton reels are about $ 300.00 on sale right now.Do yourself a favor and get a saltwater reel now, get a freaswater reel and you will spend more money replacing it . I would also look at the Behemoth reel for salt water, there not much more than the Liquid.

Last edited:
I second the Lamson Liquid. It's a decent reel that feels good in the hands. my friend's dad, who does not share my philosophy of spending half of one's monthly pay check on fly gear, bought one and likes it. We have yet to put a fish on the reel, but I suspect it would do well. I would trust it for steelhead.

I also own a SAGE Spectrum C, the lowest tier of the Spectrum lineup, and a reel I am having severe difficulty re-homing. I think that reel should be able to handle the applications provided in your post. I trust mine for steelhead.

When you start searching for a high end reel I have a plethora of solid options.

I'm pretty sure the behemoth is designed for saltwater applications and has strong enough drag to stop a truck. That's probably the cheapest option while still being a good reel. It's not the prettiest but we'll get the job done

I'm pretty sure the behemoth is designed for saltwater applications and has strong enough drag to stop a truck. That's probably the cheapest option while still being a good reel. It's not the prettiest but we'll get the job done
I agree. The behemoth would be his best bet. It is built for saltwater fly fishing. All these other freshwater trout reels won't make it on a beach . Little sand, little saltwater ,there done. The drag on the behemoth will stop a submarine. They have to understand, The beach is not like a trout stream, You can hook some pretty big fish, a trout reel just won't hold up . A friend of mine went after small bottom fish from the surf with a 5wt, He was fine till a big striper took his fly and he couldn't hold it. His drag just couldn't do it. I'l bet youb the op will wind up getting a freshwater reel for saltwater. I hope he won't.

The Behemoth is a pretty good reel. I had one of the 7/8 models in tan. For a few bucks more you could bump up to the Grande reel which is nicer and machined (Behemoth is cast).

The only time it's necessary to have a better high end saltwater reel is with fish that can really run. With fast saltwater fish you need a reel that can keep up with the fish and a well-machined reel, not what Piscifun puts out, that won't "blow up" under extreme load. The Behemoth is a cast reel and would not be able to combat faster fish.

If you are feeling a little frisky.... Galvan Torque T-8. What's $500 when you are getting functional art?

Galvan reels appear to be nice and worth the money. I had an orange T-5 back in 2019 paired with a SAGE Bolt 6wt 9ft that has long since been traded away during my monthly trades. Think I fished the combo once before it went on its way for a SAGE Method. The reel felt good and solid in the hands and I would say it is a quality reel at a good price. I didn't get a chance to test the reel out on a large fish as I was chipping away at bluegill at the time.

I really like the green and silver colored Galvan Torque models, the purple brookie model, and the blue "Rush" model. I wanted to buy all of these reels at one time but have since chosen higher end reels in my never ending pursuit of one day having a fish compliment how nice my gear is.

You bring up bolt and method 6wt .... which I'm looking for 😁

Don't give me a thumbs up, sell me your old junk 😉

🤣🤣

I don't consider any rod bearing the badge of SAGE junk besides maybe the Foundation, no, I just hate a matte colored SAGE. I have both the Bolt and the Method in a 4wt and am not looking to sell. The Bolts are pretty much impossible to find as I think their production numbers were less than that of the Method, plus the Bolt isn't as well known and not as well loved. There's a couple higher caliber Methods floating around on EBay, even an 11wt, the largest Method one can buy. I have a friend who has a pretty clean Method 8wt if you are interested. I could inquire about it. It still may be in mint condition as it was a rod I traded to him and when I traded it to him it was new.

I will say that 8wt is the money, an IDEAL streamer rod for larger fish and saltwater that cuts through wind like no other. Heck, I'm talking myself into buying it back but I just acquired an H3 8wt that I will need to evaluate in the near future, possibly tonight if I can stand the cold. Good hunting.

I had a chance to buy 6wt Method and never did. My mistake. I recently got a 6wt Ignitor which is slightly slower but seems more refined taper wise. It is a really good rod that rewards a caster with good mechanics. If ultra fast is what you seek then the Bolt , Method or Ignitor are great. Also don't discount the Ssge One . It has a taper that I can n only describe as continuously variable for lack of a better word. Really good rod that takes a little time dialing in but worth it. These rods are for casters with good mechanics.

Back