Reel questions

I've had a method 5wt for a few years. Not my favorite in close but that's not what it's designed for. From 30' to the backing..... sniper. Crazy tight wind cutting loops. I wanted the 6wt for ridiculous distance shots, big bugs like MB / Drakes and it would be handy for smallies.

FWIW, in Sage guide program and can get a healthy discount on a rod. I can get an igniter for less than people want for a used method! I've been gun shy because what I've been told is the igniter 6 wt is VERY finicky on lines it likes and is probably the most unfriendly model in the lineup. Your experiences?? I've even offered sage a brand new method 5wt, a well cared for RPL+ and cash if they would build me a method with the blanks I know they have laying around. "Sorry, just can't do it" was the response. I guess all of the guys who have no business with that rod has already gotten rid of them. Guys who have them will not give them up. Gotta be a reason.

The bolt was mentioned for smallies (poppers and small streamers). Thought it would excel for that.

The models I see that could possibly fill the shoes of the method.... Helios 3F or Hardy Ultralight X. Never cast either. Also, don't want to spend that much. 🤣

I have a 691, 890 and 1090 Igniter. I think the 691 is the best of the three.

Currently it has Cortland flats pro 6wt line on it. It casts great. I also fished it with Cortland 333 7wt line (I had it on a reel) and it casts that just fine. I honestly can't say a bad thing about that rod. It's my most used rod. I use it for trout, bass, carp, seatrout, redfish and bonefish.
I think it has more feel than the Method with the same power.

If you really want a 691 Method check out the microskiff forum. I see them pop up for sale there from time to time.

Edit- I guess before I wrote all that I should've asked if it was the 690 or 691.

Back on topic, I'd say the Galvan for a reel. I've fished them for over twenty years. Now that's freshwater reels in 4 and 5wts, I think I have 3 of them. The T8 would be a good choice.
That said, I only use Tibor reels in the salt.

I would never recommend a sealed drag in the salt. A sealed drag is sealed until it isn't. If there's a problem I want a reel I can pull apart, rinse it off, fix it if I need to, and go back at it.
I had one sealed drag reel and it let go on a redfish trip. It started free spooling, then catching then free spooling again. I smashed the guts right out of that reel (that warranty did me no good on a trip) and bought a Tibor Everglades.

I have a 691, 890 and 1090 Igniter. I think the 691 is the best of the three.

Currently it has Cortland flats pro 6wt line on it. It casts great. I also fished it with Cortland 333 7wt line (I had it on a reel) and it casts that just fine. I honestly can't say a bad thing about that rod. It's my most used rod. I use it for trout, bass, carp, seatrout, redfish and bonefish.
I think it has more feel than the Method with the same power.

If you really want a 691 Method check out the microskiff forum. I see them pop up for sale there from time to time.

Edit- I guess before I wrote all that I should've asked if it was the 690 or 691.
690 is preferred. Butt not necessary. It's going to be such a rare use rod, I'm afraid to pull the trigger. It's for a situation where I anchor on rising fish and all of the sudden one starts feeding out of 5wt range. Knowing that pulling anchor and repositioning will likely put all of them down, I'd have a home run swing with the 6wt. Also handy for adult stone #6, Drake or other bulky patterns especially when winds isn't in your favor.

Been using SA trout, Airflo river and stream or airflo distance pro on the method. All pretty true to weight and long heads. Very pleased with them.

I got a new Ignitor 691-4 for 600.00 and paired it with Sage Spectrum 5/6 reel that was on closeout for 325.00. I pair the rod with Rio Gold which is 6 grains over standard but a little more forward biased taper wise than a typical presentation line such as SA Trout which has a 10ft tip. The Gold has about a 6ft tip. SA Infinity would probably be good being a 1/2 wt heavy. These lines allow good turnover with longer leaders and larger dry flies. More aggressive lines for say smallmouth would work well also I'm sure. The rod is not designed for shorter casts but it's manageable if casting off the tip. 35ft and longer casts is what the rod is designed for. The 691 would also make a excellent light salt rod.
I consider the Ignitor a specialty rod for wind and distance. It throws really tight loops.
I tend to prefer lines with longer heads with a long rear taper to better stabilize your loops. Shorter front biased taper lines would typically be better for streamers.

Last edited:
Only 6wt Method I owned (briefly) (I was very dissatisfied with the condition of the cork when I bought it) was the 6wt 9'6". It was a stellar rod that could really roll-cast. I fished it once in the Chadds Ford area, think that is the Brandywine. Impressively good rod.

I would rank the rods in order of slowest to fastest recovery rate: Bolt, Igniter, ONE, Method. I've had at least one rod in each of those models.

Only 6wt Method I owned (briefly) (I was very dissatisfied with the condition of the cork when I bought it) was the 6wt 9'6". It was a stellar rod that could really roll-cast. I fished it once in the Chadds Ford area, think that is the Brandywine. Impressively good rod.

I would rank the rods in order of slowest to fastest recovery rate: Bolt, Igniter, ONE, Method. I've had at least one rod in each of those models.
After I graduated from college and got a good job I became a SageHead and every rod I owned was a Sage. They were/are great rods. Later I worked or Orvis and became a fan of their rod line. It made me realize that loyalty to only one brand does not make a lot of sense. I now try to check out all the rod lines since there are great rods with different attributes made by many of the fly rod companies. Given you are able/willing to fork out the cash for high-end rods, it would behoove you to check out all the rod offerings out there from other manufacturers. Just sayin.....good fishin'! (Ditto to that "glass half empty" BrookChaser guy).;);)

After I graduated from college and got a good job I became a SageHead and every rod I owned was a Sage. They were/are great rods. Later I worked or Orvis and became a fan of their rod line. It made me realize that loyalty to only one brand does not make a lot of sense. I now try to check out all the rod lines since there are great rods with different attributes made by many of the fly rod companies. Given you are able/willing to fork out the cash for high-end rods, it would behoove you to check out all the rod offerings out there from other manufacturers. Just sayin.....good fishin'! (Ditto to that "glass half empty" BrookChaser guy).;);)

Good fishing to you too!

I've actually switched brands. I started fishing Scott and Loomis rods in the past few years and the Scott Sector really works for me. In my mind it was "it's a great rod, I fish it well, but it doesn't say Sage on it". Then Farbank showed me the Sage brand I started with, and showed loyalty to, is not the same company, due to their warranty change and bad customer service. I'm glad I didn't grab that 790 R8 I had my mind set on.
So it's Scott rods now. I just need to get over the fact they're owned by a Ford (it's an internal conflict for a diehard GM guy haha!).

Good fishing to you too!

I've actually switched brands. I started fishing Scott and Loomis rods in the past few years and the Scott Sector really works for me. In my mind it was "it's a great rod, I fish it well, but it doesn't say Sage on it". Then Farbank showed me the Sage brand I started with, and showed loyalty to, is not the same company, due to their warranty change and bad customer service. I'm glad I didn't grab that 790 R8 I had my mind set on.
So it's Scott rods now. I just need to get over the fact they're owned by a Ford (it's an internal conflict for a diehard GM guy haha!).
Nice!

I picked up a Lampson Liquid 9+ for my switch rod an cyber Monday for under $80.
I think it will work fine.

I don't care what the rod says on it. I fish it because I like the feel, like the performance or it covers a specific niche.
Have owned a few brands. Currently have a few Sage, few Redingtons, 2 St Croix, 2 Echos and an Orvis. I cast Beulah, Scott, TFO, Winston and most others. I have more than I need for most situations but wanted a rod for silly attempts at fish.

I wonder if the op bought a reel, and what he got?

I am not loyal to one brand, I have a variety of rods from different manufacturers I like. SAGE doesn't even make up the majority of my arsenal but I have the most rods from them. I do think SAGE is a good innovator and has made and still does make some very nice sticks with a lot of power and great taper design. I have no desire to own the new SAGE R8 Core as the rod doesn't "jive" with me cosmetically (really hate the white tube it comes in) (why white?). I have a SAGE head friend who owns an R8 and says that it's pretty nice, still not enough to convince me to buy one.

When it comes to SAGE I really dig rods from their Konnetic Tech area (gen 6 graphite). The rods I like from that era are Circa, ONE, and Method. I think during that time SAGE offered some really advanced rods for technical casters (I, by no means will consider myself a technical caster) instead of trying to put feel into their rods so anyone could pick one up and start blasting away. I think by making these rods more user-friendly there is an inherent loss in performance. Just my speculation. The Konnetic era speed rods were the last era of the manual sports cars, SAGE's Carrera GT.

Is the Lamson for saltwater with a sealed drag? You can use a freshwater trout reel in the salt, but it may not last long. Save the money in the long run and get a Colton saltwater reel. Your Lamson Liquid will not last in a saltwater dunking, and fly fishing the surf will get wet. I think the Colton reels are about $ 300.00 on sale right now.Do yourself a favor and get a saltwater reel now, get a freaswater reel and you will spend more money replacing it . I would also look at the Behemoth reel for salt water, there not much more than the Liquid.
All lamsons have a sealed drag, the behemoth doesn't. I think any sealed drag would be better than a partially sealed drag system if your worry is dunking the reel.

Always my dilemma.

On my steelhead/bass/salt type rods - don't use as much. Would like to skimp on the reel. But.... The reel is more important.

On my smaller trout stream type rods - use more often, willing to spend more $$$ on the reel. But... The reel isn't really all that important...

I'm not sure if you pulled the trigger on a new reel, but here is a reel sale with some choices mentioned >

I've been given an 8 wt rod which I'm thinking I can use for occasional beach trips plus some bass fishing... So don't want to spend a ton on a reel as I just don't think I'll use it that much since I usually fish trout. So thinking low end but sealed reel. Will any sealed reels be ok? Looking at lamson liquid for example. It isn't listed as a salt water reel on their website but does say it is sealed.... Thoughts appreciated.

How did the reel search end? Did you get one? If yes, what was it?

Last edited:
Back