Reel for Sage XP

My brain blows up trying to comprehend why a man would want to target ultra-finicky carp when one could target easy and plentiful bluegill. If I need to feel the pull I'll hit Pulaski. Carp put up quite the fight and can fight well in any water condition, but a 15 lb. Coho is simply a more powerful fish. I kid, I kid... maybe, maybe not.

I think for me just having the setup I want brings just that much more joy to me and helps me immerse myself in the sport all the more. Seeing everyone on the Salmon River with the same 9ft 9wt Douglas LRS annoys me (rod is fine, it's just generic and I think people buy them because everyone has one). I like to add a bit of flavor to the fishing scene, and I don't care if it makes me look like a pimp! I think if I had to fish a Cabela's setup, Douglas LRS, or a Redington, I'd pick a different hobby. My apprehension towards cheaper gear is that I find it generic and distasteful and I think there is more to gear than stuff that simply works. I like to add a cosmetic touch that pleases me.

Talking about anyone i would know? LOL BTW its a 10ft LRS. Dont forget the Orvis Saran Wrap.

(This was joke between SO and I. My rod tip section is a tad loose. ( the rod was free-long story) I place a small piece of saran wrap ( i say its Orvis to sound legit) between the ferrules and it tightens up fine. Landed more than my share of kings, cohos and incidental steelie and fought many more. It works)

Free rod story. I got my son a 10' 9 wt Douglas LRS for a christmas gift quite a few years ago. One year he broke the tip and brought it to a local Douglas dealer who just gave him a new rod, talk about standing behind your product. Told him to keep the butt section. When he got home he showed me the rod. I called Douglas and asked if i can purchase a tip. They sent me a free one and paid the shipping. The mating of the 2 are off by a few thousanths. ( Im sure if i sent the 2 pieces back they would make it right). But, i got the whole shebang for the cost of a phone call. Dont look a gift horse in the mouth. A small piece of saran wrap and the fit is perfect. Its under the ferrule so it cant be seen and it provides enough lubrication that i have yet to experience a stuck rod. I cant complain.

My brain blows up trying to comprehend why a man would want to target ultra-finicky carp when one could target easy and plentiful bluegill. If I need to feel the pull I'll hit Pulaski. Carp put up quite the fight and can fight well in any water condition, but a 15 lb. Coho is simply a more powerful fish.

Giphy 1

Bluegill? A completely artificial coho fishery? Combat fishing?

Didn't you just post a report on your son catching a bluegill and how excited you were about his first catch on the fly? Seemed to me like you were having a good time. You even posted a pic of yourself and your first catch on the fly, which was also a bluegill. No shame in my game, I'll gladly go after them. I prefer a bit warmer weather to do so as I like to hit them on dries and dry/droppers. I may even go for em' now working a sub-surface tandem rig, but I suspect I will be getting back into trout now.

A completely artificial fishery. Arguing artificial fish against fish that were artificially introduced, man that's some funny s***. I would think given your proximity to the Salmon River that you'd be on it right about now. I guess the trust fund babies are edging you out of a spot on the DSR.

Combat fishing isn't really a problem on the DSR, I'm sure in town it would be s***show for sure. I found the spacing on the DSR to be just slightly more condensed than Erie, although I know last week was slow besides early morning Wed. If you read Tigereye's report you will find we had an entire hole to ourselves for a day, although we let another guy in who was pretty nice and landed my one lone 10 pounder king, that was the only fish I could get in that day, the 15 lb. Coho I lost after not being able to move it for 15 minutes really hurt me haha.

As for the meme, you already used it once, it's starting to get stale...

Didn't you just post a report on your son catching a bluegill and how excited you were about his first catch on the fly? Seemed to me like you were having a good time. You even posted a pic of yourself and your first catch on the fly, which was also a bluegill. No shame in my game, I'll gladly go after them. I prefer a bit warmer weather to do so as I like to hit them on dries and dry/droppers. I may even go for em' now working a sub-surface tandem rig, but I suspect I will be getting back into trout now.

A completely artificial fishery. Arguing artificial fish against fish that were artificially introduced, man that's some funny s***. I would think given your proximity to the Salmon River that you'd be on it right about now. I guess the trust fund babies are edging you out of a spot on the DSR.

Combat fishing isn't really a problem on the DSR, I'm sure in town it would be s***show for sure. I found the spacing on the DSR to be just slightly more condensed than Erie, although I know last week was slow besides early morning Wed. If you read Tigereye's report you will find we had an entire hole to ourselves for a day, although we let another guy in who was pretty nice and landed my one lone 10 pounder king, that was the only fish I could get in that day, the 15 lb. Coho I lost after not being able to move it for 15 minutes really hurt me haha.

As for the meme, you already used it once, it's starting to get stale...
I'll fish for just about anything. I even grit my teeth and endure the Salmon River now and again. I just think it's wild to talk smack on the absolute peace and isolation that is carp fishing in favor of this:
IMG950863

I fish for the first thing I see and I grit my teeth when flossing, I mean fishing, the Salmon River because apparently it's uncool to be mean on the DSR. I didn't intend to talk smack on carp fishing as a whole I just didn't like DC410's jab at high end gear. I don't think anyone could take a person seriously trying to say they are cooler for catching bluegill than carp. I think carp fishing is really cool, I just don't have the attention span for it. My approach to pond fishing is more relaxed, string up, and starting swinging away! Carp are difficult to entice so I would rather just chip away at the other pond species. However, when it comes to fish fighting power, a salmon simply has a lot more energy than a carp could ever have and can sustain a longer run. Maybe the most powerful freshwater fish? I couldn't outrun these fish but I'm certainly no runner and gave up the running game after a few fish. I've just never encountered a fish I couldn't move for extended durations. I went halfway into my backing on one fish. I'm not one to feel the need to get into fish that take me into my backing with every fish, heck, I don't have a waterbody with fish like that remotely close to me, so I do these kind of trips a few times a year. Steelhead twice, and as of last week, salmon (obviously once, because there is only one run). For the rest of the time of the year I am content to hand-line in ugly stocked trout and all other creek/late critters, be they invasive or native. If If had a bit more money I'd entertain some saltwater trips but that is not in the cards at the moment.

Let's not get carried away with the peace and isolation bit for carp fishing. Carp are found in most water bodies that a lot of people flock to for various activities. You can half a large body of water with not a lot of people on it in the early hours but that's about it (also, the seasons would effect the number of people on any given body of water). It's not like you're hiking up to some remote trickle of a creek that has no name and you have to hike several miles to access it. I imagine my walk down just to get to the DSR is farther than some carp anglers walk to start fishing. Unfortunately fishing for salmon is always going to be hectic, so I have to deal with crowds and I will to get these fish. I won't let the crowds push me away and will gladly wait my turn to get a crack, heck, after hooking 6 fish in an hour and running up and down the river I was happy to turn over my hole to the nice gentlemen who asked to fish with us. He wouldn't even hop into my spot when I would chase fish. I've gotten less consideration on crumby SEPA stocked trout waters.

Finally, I mean no ill towards carp anglers. I think carp are neat just not my thing. I also don't care much for non-moving water and fish it because I have fishing friends that are old and/or really lazy.

Carp can be difficult to entice but predicable after hook up. I would rather use a bow or preferably a .270.
Does VT still have a rifle season for Pike, Hmmm.

I didn't intend to talk smack on carp fishing as a whole I just didn't like DC410's jab at high end gear.
I need to apologize on two fronts as it relates to this:

1. I apologize to Riverwhy by totally unintentionally derailing his thread by my response to Silent Ocelot.

2. I apologize to Silent Ocelot. My intention was not to “**** in your Wheaties”, but clearly I did. Occasionally my forum personality has a flare of sarcasm to it, but my real personality has that same flare, so I don’t hide behind my computer screen. Maybe someday we’ll get a chance to meet.

I could go into a long articulated rant about my past 13 years of chasing carp with the flyrod or my Flyfishing for Salmon experiences as well, but that is not what this thread is about.

This thread is about “what reel to pair up with a Sage XP”,

Did the OP ever consider a Cabelas RLS reel? The RLS is not a totally ugly reel (IMO), decent pricepoint, good drag system, they come in different finishes. Hope I didn’t open a can of worms with that response.

No worries about thread derailment but thanks for the apology. The RLS does look like a decent reel though now I am kind of on a nostalgia kick. That said, I don't know too much about reels, especially older ones. Also, I am a lefty and wonder are those older reels reversible?

It is TOTALLY subjective but I like my rod & reel combos static balanced at or near the winding check.

That being said my 9'0" graphite rods in 5 & 6wt range like reels with a stated weight of around 5.5 ounces to achieve that balance.

My circa 2004 Abel Super 4's fit that requirement nicely...

The last Super 4/5 has a heavier stated weight which seems weird to me but IF you can find one (they were recently discontinued) it may be worth a look.

Ok... I apologize too for the derailment of the the thread and if I have offended any carp anglers. Yes, back to getting you equipped with the proper reel. Are you going to bid/purchase that 505 off of EBAY?

Not to start a gear war, but I don't think the RLS should be considered. They're cast reels and aren't very durable. I had one and the foot got bent so I'd have to secure it to a rod with zip ties. I don't think they drag is very smooth on them either. If I recall that was one of the main things that annoyed me with that reel. I don't even know what happened to it. I think I tossed it into my truck and it got smothered in motor oil so I got rid of it when I moved. I wouldn't call it a vintage reel in any regard, seems to me like a modern design.

@riverwhy, since it seems you’ve already received just about everyone’s recommendations for a reel for your new XP, I hope you don’t let mind me derailing your thread again, somewhat…

Anyway, I’ve got this young acquaintance who is relatively new to fly fishing In North America. She’s already set up with a new rod and reel. Everything is nicely balanced and proportioned, and even her rod, reel and clothing colors are attractively coordinated. As I’ve said, some of us just get enjoyment from looking at our gear and things.

From what I understand, she’s already got a lot of experience in the salt, having grown up around the beaches in Brazil, but what I’d like to find is someone that’d be interested in taking her carp fishing. Now that we know who here is NOT interested in carp fishing, perhaps somebody else would be interested in volunteering to do that.

IMG 3449

Oh, and by the way, that’s not the person that wants to go carp fishing. That’s just a picture I saw posted elsewhere online. But, if you look closely, that could be a Sage One rod. I‘m not sure what the reel is, but i think it looks looks pretty attractive together with that rod, don’t you? 😃

Not as pretty as the last one but this might be a better price.

Anyone have one of these? Nice classic look and a great price but is a click and pawl drag ok?

Not as pretty as the last one but this might be a better price.

Anyone have one of these? Nice classic look and a great price but is a click and pawl drag ok?
Dear riverwhy,

Click and pawl drag is fine. Twenty-five or thirty years ago it was the only drag system on fly reels. Millions of fish still were whupped with it. Besides, it's a Hardy and that click and pawl drag sound is one of the best sounds in fly fishing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Hell, I just got an old Cortland clicker on eBay and lined it up for the next outing. Figured it would up the difficulty to land a spastic rainbow in fast water without drag.

I can’t add much other than I’m a Ross man. (Since I didn’t see Ross mentioned)

I’m not in the market for anything and haven’t bought gear in years and years.

Like to try this this but not wild about this color or it’s near $500 cost.

My evolutions have been great and I hear that Ross will take the reels and clean them up and replace worn components - I have not taken advantage of this but want to this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_7112.png
    IMG_7112.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 6
Back