Reel for Sage XP

R

riverwhy

I recently bought a 9' 5wt. Sage XP and need a reel to match. I tried it with an Orvis Clearwater I borrowed from a shorter glass rod. It was OK but not that impressed with that reel. Don't care for the sound and just doesn't feel crisp to me for some reason. I will probably take the Sage to a fly shop and try some reels out but wondered if anyone on here had any suggestions. I love my Teton on my 7 wt. I know a lot of you were discussing Sage Rods a while back so I thought I would throw it out there. I would consider a pretty wide price range and wouldn't mind an older reel if available.
Thanks in advance.
Jay P

I used an Abel pt.5 Big Game reel on a Sage SP 9’ 5wt (which I no longer have). I also use that same model Abel reel on 4 wt rods. That’s a wonderful reel that will last a lifetime, and if you can find one for sale these days they often sell for around $250.00, or perhaps $300.00 in excellent condition.

Last edited:
Dear Riverwhy,

Go old school and get a used Sage 505 or a Hardy LRH. I bought a Sage 505 new in 1987 and I will never part with it, it is the perfect 5 weight trout reel, but Hardy's are pretty sweet too. A Gunnison G2 ain't bad either.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Riverwhy,

Go old school and get a used Sage 505 or a Hardy LRH. I bought a Sage 505 new in 1987 and I will never part with it, it is the perfect 5 weight trout reel, but Hardy's are pretty sweet too. A Gunnison G2 ain't bad either.

Regards,

It looks like those Sage 505 reels were made by Hardy?

It looks like those Sage 505 reels were made by Hardy?
Dear Riverwhy,

They were made in England, so I think it's a safe bet to say they were Hardy's. I do not know that for sure though. All I know is I love mine!

Regards,

I like the look of the older reels.

I use a first gen. Lamson Lightspeed 2 on mine.
The one with the round ported frame and spool.
Nice sound, drag and balances the rod well.
Sage XP 9' 5wt is a rue classic injoy.

I used an Abel pt.5 Big Game reel on a Sage SP 9’ 5wt (which I no longer have). I also use that same model Abel reel on 4 wt rods. That’s a wonderful reel that will last a lifetime, and if you can find one for sale these days they often sell for around $250.00, or perhaps $300.00 in excellent condition.
I don’t know what I was thinking when I replied a couple days ago. I somehow thought you were asking about a reel for a Sage SP, when you were actually asking about a reel for your new Sage XP. In any case, I’d still suggest the Abel Big Game Pt. 5 reel for either of those rods.

Actually, I’ve got both the Sage XP 9’ 4wt and 5wt rods. Wonderful rods! Although I just bought the XP 5wt about a year ago (it appeared to have never been fished) I‘ve had the 4wt XP for many years, and it was my go-to rod for dry fly fishing in Montana. I rigged it up at the beginning of the summer with the Abel Big Game pt.5 reel, and it stayed rigged up until the fall when we returned to PA.

Since you said you might consider a pretty wide price range when looking for a reel, you might also consider an Abel SDF 4/5 reel for that rod. While I actually prefer the Big Game reels over the SDF reels (I have both models) you could get an SDF in a color that would match the XP blank. 😊 Kinda cool!
IF YOU DON‘T MIND DROPPING $1,000.00 FOR A REEL.

IMG 3450

An old Hardy LRH or perhaps a CFO sounds about right.

I'd put an old Cortland clicker on it... Or, one of these

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230925-101113.png
    Screenshot_20230925-101113.png
    359.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230925-101150.png
    Screenshot_20230925-101150.png
    345.7 KB · Views: 23
The SAGE Trout reels are decent along with the Clicks, but I must say an old Hardy-made SAGE 500 series just takes the cake! Such beautiful and great sounding reels. I had a 503L in the rare "Preemie" size that only had 250 units made as SAGE did not want to produce the 500 series in that small of a reel. I quite foolishly swapped mine out in a trade for one of those ugly Orvis white label rods but I know where that reel resides. If you're one of those guys that has to have real wheels on his sportscar a SAGE 500, Abel, or vintage Hardy reel are your real wheels, the SAGE Trout reel is a very obvious replica of the old 500. I will say the 500 series reels were built/finished better than the SAGE Trout reel. The Trout reel feels and looks good though, and actually has a drag should such a thing concern you (I don't care for a drag system in most trout situations). I have no complaints on the new SAGE Trout reel as I currently own and fish one, but it's quite obvious a clone of a better reel.

An Abel SDF would be nice too if you really want to color-coordinate. Last year I fished my SDF 6/7 for steelhead and it performed well.

Why would you choose the Sage Click Series over the Spectrum LT?
I was definitely looking at the Sage Trout and liked the classic look.
I see a Sage 505 on Ebay for $250. Looks a bit dinged up but as long as it is still smooth functioning....

Last edited:
My brain just almost blew up a minute ago trying to figure out the difference between color coordination and performance.
My brain blows up trying to comprehend why a man would want to target ultra-finicky carp when one could target easy and plentiful bluegill. If I need to feel the pull I'll hit Pulaski. Carp put up quite the fight and can fight well in any water condition, but a 15 lb. Coho is simply a more powerful fish. I kid, I kid... maybe, maybe not.

I think for me just having the setup I want brings just that much more joy to me and helps me immerse myself in the sport all the more. Seeing everyone on the Salmon River with the same 9ft 9wt Douglas LRS annoys me (rod is fine, it's just generic and I think people buy them because everyone has one). I like to add a bit of flavor to the fishing scene, and I don't care if it makes me look like a pimp! I think if I had to fish a Cabela's setup, Douglas LRS, or a Redington, I'd pick a different hobby. My apprehension towards cheaper gear is that I find it generic and distasteful and I think there is more to gear than stuff that simply works. I like to add a cosmetic touch that pleases me.

My brain just almost blew up a minute ago trying to figure out the difference between color coordination and performance.
I‘ve seen some of your flies. They are well tied and I admire looking at them. I would have confidence in fishing them and believe that I could catch fish with them. 😊 One could argue that the same confidence applies to the tackle that we use and the clothing that we wear as it does for the flies that we use. While each of us may be different in our preferences, at the end of the day we need to like what we’re fishing with as it will ultimately effect our performance.

In the words of Russell Chatham, “The reason that I use the kind of tackle that I use, is because I think it’s pretty, and it’s got history, and I love it. I love to hold it, I love to look at it, and so forth…”

IMG 3454

I see a Sage 505 on Ebay for $250. Looks a bit dinged up but as long as it is still smooth functioning....
Not a bad price if it is pretty functional. I personally try and get the cleanest example of whatever piece of gear I am looking for and will pay the premium. If you really want one, I'd say grab it. There's a limited number of these reels in circulation, though I won't say they are terribly rare, it's just that eventually they will find hands that wish to keep them. If you'd like I know a reel collector who may have some 505's lying about. I could put you into contact with him if you'd like.

I really hope you decided go through with getting a 505. It's a solid and very neat reel and a good conversation starter for those in the know.

I have a Sage XP 590 rod with a Sage 3300D reel. I got it as an outfit as a wedding gift from my fiancé (now wife) back in 2004. Nice fast action rod and the reel has worked well for me through many trips. This rod and reel is now my backup outfit for fishing the big rivers out-west and WB of the D River for trout. There are many choices for a reel to match this rod. I would recommend a reel with a decent drag if you plan to fish it on bigger waters for bigger fish. Good luck.

My brain blows up trying to comprehend why a man would want to target ultra-finicky carp when one could target easy and plentiful bluegill. If I need to feel the pull I'll hit Pulaski. Carp put up quite the fight and can fight well in any water condition, but a 15 lb. Coho is simply a more powerful fish. I kid, I kid... maybe, maybe not.

I think for me just having the setup I want brings just that much more joy to me and helps me immerse myself in the sport all the more. Seeing everyone on the Salmon River with the same 9ft 9wt Douglas LRS annoys me (rod is fine, it's just generic and I think people buy them because everyone has one). I like to add a bit of flavor to the fishing scene, and I don't care if it makes me look like a pimp! I think if I had to fish a Cabela's setup, Douglas LRS, or a Redington, I'd pick a different hobby. My apprehension towards cheaper gear is that I find it generic and distasteful and I think there is more to gear than stuff that simply works. I like to add a cosmetic touch that pleases me.
To each his own, carry on SO!

I‘ve seen some of your flies. They are well tied and I admire looking at them. I would have confidence in fishing them and believe that I could catch fish with them. 😊 One could argue that the same confidence applies to the tackle that we use and the clothing that we wear as it does for the flies that we use. While each of us may be different in our preferences, at the end of the day we need to like what we’re fishing with as it will ultimately effect our performance.

In the words of Russell Chatham, “The reason that I use the kind of tackle that I use, is because I think it’s pretty, and it’s got history, and I love it. I love to hold it, I love to look at it, and so forth…”

View attachment 1641232421
Nice! That is a pretty reel, John. However, I think that brownie is even prettier than your reel. Great fish!

A Hardy Marquis might be nice.

Back