Recommendation for brookie reel

I just got back from the fishermans flea market in wellsville and picked up 2 nice Martin reels for my 6'6 glass brookie rod. 1 is a Martin 62 the other is a Martin 63. Both reels are like brand new. I really like the vintage look on that glass rod. The best part is I got both for 10 bucks. Not bad for a couple old line holders. Sorry about the crappy pics I used the camera on my cell.

Attachments

• 0310121323.jpg
    0310121323.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 3
  • 0310121324.jpg
    0310121324.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0310121327.jpg
    0310121327.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 2
Was there good deals there delta on Rods and such?

by IdratherbePhishing on 2012/3/10 14:45:59

Was there good deals there delta on Rods and such?

There were some deals to be had just not what I was in the market for. I did get some tying supplies and those 2 reels. There were some nice bamboo rods there that are slowly talking me into buying one of them. I might have to go back and buy 1. But other than that most rods were in the 6wt-8wt class & a couple nice vintage reels in the same class. I did miss out on a nice old net that a guy was looking at and put back down then picked it back up and bought it. Sooooo CLOSE!

Delta, those reels are fricken sweet. I'm such a sucker for clickers haha... wanna sell one? :-o

Phish_On wrote:
So, this is what i decided on. I went with a 6' 2wt St. Croix imperial, paired with a White River 'Intruder' reel, spooled with White River CV2 WF3W. The reel was just what i was looking for. Large Arbor design, fairly light wieght. Cant wait to get out an try it on some backcountry brookie streams. Thanks for all the input everyone, i really appreciate it.

Just curious - isn't a large arbor reel a bit overkill for a 2 weight to use on small stream brook trout fishing? Heck, with the amount of line I had out yesterday on a stream I fished, I should have just had a tenkara setup. As many have noted, the reel for small brookies is nothing more than a line holder; I think the brand, size, color, whatever mean little, so long as its balanced with the rest of your setup.

I will be using my tenkara rod quite a bit on smaller streams this year. No reel to worry about! Ha.

Salmo- I admit it is a little over kill, but I'm just a fan of larger arbor reels. That old school look ain't for me. Different strokes for different folks.

delta dog,sweet deal on those tuna cans.a martin 63 is one of my all time favorite reels.

i remember my first expensive reel.first time out it jammed from one speck of sand.my backup was a tuna can,and it ALWAYS performs flawlessly .

plus,they sound good!

ocean city 35. 1wt to 5WF. silent in/out or click. light. indestructable. rhw if you care about the circular lineguard. $5 from an auction website. light. indestructable.

ll bean pocket water. $80 new. machined aluminum cfo 1 copy. single/dual pawl. rhw/lhw. only space age material on is the spring tension knob.

G - the pocket water is sold out from what i heard and new batch won't be around till July. That's just rumor i'm passing along but I'm sort of glad to hear it. The industry is finally coming back to the tried and true click pawl and there is a market for it!

Back