Recommendation for brookie reel

I have looked at the medalists. Not really my style although tempting. I should have the outfit completed this weekend. Ill let everyone know what i finally decide on. I appreciate all the input.

i believe you can get an okuma slv in 2/3. $45 and it is really a great reel.

That okuma slv seems to be fairly popular and I like the way its put together. That might be the one.

krayfish:
I have a couple of hardys from the 80's. Being a little older / wiser...don't think I'd spend that much again for a clicker.

yeah, but the nice thing about buying quality from the start is that they hold their value if you take care of 'em. Those nice little older Hardys you have still demand a decent price on the second hand market and will continue to, or you'll have a couple of pretty nice heirlooms for your youngster if you hold onto 'em. Compared to what a similar lower end reel from the same era will fetch nowadays, I wouldn't regret going with the Hardys. But if you see it as "just a fishin' reel", then it's hard to justify the extra coin up front...

On a 2-3 weight, a "clicker" is nothing more than a line holder or a fashion statement. When you move up to a 5-7 weight, I'll have a totally different outlook. Quality drag is a must to fight good fish on lighter tippets or keep a fish battle from getting out of hand.

I unloaded one of my English made Marquis and did get a nice penny. The one I have left is so beat up, I couldn't give it away but she still works like a charm.

Phish_On wrote:
That okuma slv seems to be fairly popular and I like the way its put together. That might be the one.

I got an Okuma SLV 5/6 for free, and I love it. I use it all the time now on my 9'5wt. I also use the Sierra on a 3wt and love it.

I never had a problem w/ any of their reels.

Ramcatt wrote:
just an FYI

Stay away from the $30 ebay special

poor construction and no quaility control = sharp edges and open gaps = destroyed fly line

Stay away from the $.01 Ebay special. Yes that's right, I won a reel on ebay from China for a penny. Those of you who were at the JAM 2 years ago heard my awful story about that.

I bought the cheapest SA reel; the one they sell at walmart.
It was like $30 and lighter than most $100 reels; smaller diameter too.

I don't care if it gts dings and dents (which it will on small moutain stream) because it was so cheap.

There should be no status symbol 2 miles away from the nearest road.

One of my first reels was a "classic ultralight" from bass pro. I'm pretty sure you can pick one up for right around $100. Had a click check drag, which is all you need for brookies. Clicker reels are usually less expensive as well, plus you save a lot of weight if you forgo the disc drag. I think this reel is around 2 ounces, which you can't get anywhere near with a disc drag. And you get the zing of the line coming off the spool, which is just cool. I now use a Hardy flyweight for my smallest set up, which I would highly recommend (though seems out of the price range you want to stay in), but my little bass pro reel makes a nice backup.

MKern- Being 2 miles away form the nearest road, is the status symbol.

Klingy if you wanna sell that classic shoot me a pm.

I'd sell it, but then I'd have to get another back up. Maybe that would be a good excuse to buy a new reel...though I don't think the wife would agree! But seriously, you may also want to check out the new Pocket Water Reel from LL Bean. Only $79 for a pretty nice looking click check reel. Not sure what the inside components look like - sometimes these types of reels come with plastic pieces in the clickers. One thing I always liked about the little classic bass pro reel is that it was all metal (link).

If you spend more then $40 on a reel for brookies then you have more money then you know what to do with. All you need is a reel that will hold the line. Drag is not a factor. I have that small Okuma reel that was mentioned here several times I believe.

Someone else mentioned on here that for trout reel drag is not a factor...and I totally agree!

Iam going to bass pro tomorrow to see what they got. Im sure ill find something that will work out for me. Without spending to much for a 'line holder'

Bigjohn,
I totally agree that for brookies, drag is not an issue, which is why I prefer the click check reel which reduces the weight you carry. Lugging around a couple of ounces less might not seem like much, but after a full day of climbing under rhodo and hopping rocks, a 2.5 oz reel on a light rod doesn't do quite the number on my shoulders that a heavier combo does. I guess it comes down to personal preference, though, and what you're willing to pay for. Cheers.

That's why I asked him to buy it lol. Spent over hundred on an orvis reel wouldn't do it again. But I really like that little classic.

I have one of those white river classic reels in 3/4. They are very nice traditional looking machined reel. The drag is really nice too.

I think the last I checked they really jacked the price on those.

Sure did, 100 bones, kinda salty.

Phish_On wrote:
All nice reels. Iam looking for something that is inexpensive. I cant justify spending over 100 dollars on a reel that you will never have to use.

If you are not set on New check out a vintage Heddon, 310 or the smaller 300. These were copies of Hardy reels and can be found in the $50 or less range. They are actually very well built reels and will last you many years.

So, this is what i decided on. I went with a 6' 2wt St. Croix imperial, paired with a White River 'Intruder' reel, spooled with White River CV2 WF3W. The reel was just what i was looking for. Large Arbor design, fairly light wieght. Cant wait to get out an try it on some backcountry brookie streams. Thanks for all the input everyone, i really appreciate it.

Back