Recommendation for brookie reel

P

Phish_On

What do y'all use as your brookie reel? I have been doing some research and it seems that no to many company's, that I can find at least, dont offer reels that small. I dont really want to use a 3/4 reel. I know there has got to be some bada$$ brookie reels out there. Any information would be appreciated.

Well, I'm generally using a 4/5 wt rod for brookies, and throwing 6 wt or even 7 wt line. I use the same reel I use for my other 5 wt rods.

Okuma Sierra 4/5 is my favorite Brookie reel of the ones I own. I have it spooled with 5 wt line. It's pretty small for a 4/5, and rather inexpensive ($40)...both of which are high priorities in my book for a Brookie reel. With 5 wt line, it won't hold much backing (not that that's an issue w/Brookies)...but just to give you an idea of how small it is.

Im putting together a 2wt brookie rod. And i would like to stay with 2-3wt line. Along with a reel that will balance such a light rod correctly.

not sure of your budget, but look at the Hardy Fly and Featherweight models.

JA Forbes makes a nice little 2.5" clicker that'll pop up on eBay now and then, also in a disc version.

Abel makes a small reel that's probably pretty sweet, along with Galvan too.

Or find a small antique skeleton reel and clean it up...

Ditto w/ Pat and Swattie. I usually use one of my smaller glass rods for brookies, and despite being short rods, they're 5/6 so I use a Medalist w/ 6 wt. Swattie is right though, the Okuma Sierra 4/5 is a small reel for the line size, inexpensive, and I've have one for as long as I've been fly fishing. Durable!

TFO makes a tight little click reel called the "TFO 1"

perfect on my 2wt

kevin2-550x385.jpg

The JA Forbes, TFO, Sage Click, Hardy Flyweight, are all great. I use an Orvis BBSI on my smallest wt rod.

All nice reels. Iam looking for something that is inexpensive. I cant justify spending over 100 dollars on a reel that you will never have to use.

just an FYI

Stay away from the $30 ebay special

poor construction and no quaility control = sharp edges and open gaps = destroyed fly line

Thanks ramcatt. Im leaning towards a lower end 'white river' reel. Lets face it, its only a place to hold the line.

I got a SA 3wt on here off of someone fairly cheap. It balances my 3wt rod extremely well. I would put a post in the swap forum.

Once I purchase the rod it will be a little easier to find the right reel.

A brookie reel? Go on ebay and look around for a nice old cheap clicker reel. There's tons. Not like you need a drag for brookie fishing.. or most trout fishing tbh.

Not sure how much you are willing to spend but I bought this Greys Stream Lite 2/3 reel for about $140 or so, not sure but that may have included the line and backing. Put it on my Tfo 7'3" 2 weight and I love the combo together. The pics on the site don't do it justice.

Bought it at Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs.

It's got a clicker drag the drag is very light and the reel is lite and small.

http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-us/products/reels/greys-reels/streamlite-reels/

Attachments

• Greys Stream lite 1.JPG
    Greys Stream lite 1.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Greys Stream lite 3.JPG
    Greys Stream lite 3.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 3
  • Greys Streamlite 2.JPG
    Greys Streamlite 2.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 4
Oh sorry, I missed your post about not spending $100. Someone mentioned Okuma sierra. The 4/5 size reels are actually quite small and they're like $40 bucks. Okuma makes nice reels cheap. I have a 7/8 Okuma for bass.

If you are using the reel on a tiny rod for brooks, it's basically a line holder. Spending more than $50, you're doing it more for impressing anglers than for holding line. I have a couple of hardys from the 80's. Being a little older / wiser...don't think I'd spend that much again for a clicker. Bass Pro and Redington have some composite reels for cheap. Looking for function or style? Price range tells me function and I think you were on the right track from the beginning. Let's us know how you make out.

The reel has got to look good. "If your looking good your fishing good" I think I have it narrowed down. Just have to see how they balance the rod.

If your talking brookie reel as in little fish on a little stream why wouldn't you get the smallest medalist like I have on my im6 three weight? Looks good to me.

Back