Recent Rain

Don't want to get too excited about mid September through end of October fishing but it is shaping up to be good if the showers keep coming. This week's break in temps is fantastic. I've been at this house for 18 years and my lawn has never been smoked like it is this year. Lost 70% and don't know if I will do the necessary work to restore it this year. Thinking I'll just till it and replant it next year.

Everyone around me is seeing flooding at times but it's a desert where I live. I want to be careful what I wish for because mother nature has a way of leveling things and I don't need anything like sandfly got.

Susky is still up and dirty. Connie is pretty dirty so even the mid sized feeders are stained and high

Portions of Juniata, Mifflin and Snyder county got 8"+ in just 2 hours. Catastrophic flash floods. Hopefully no lives lost.

• Wow
Reactions: Kms
Portions of Juniata, Mifflin and Snyder county got 8"+ in just 2 hours. Catastrophic flash floods. Hopefully no lives lost.
Yikes yeah that is a lot in a short time. I was looking at radar as I kept hearing thunder but we weren't getting any rain (Western PA) and saw that it looked like they were getting pounded out that way .

Lock Haven area down to Milheim got hit pretty hard. Not quite catastrophic and I haven't heard of reports any where near 8" here. I got 1.5 or so, but most of the flash flooding was on other side of town in the Mill Hall area where they must have gotten quite a bit more. Storm drains were overwelmed and several streets had feet of water laying in them.

8" of rain in 2 hours is incredible and results in almost a literal wall of water coming down the streams.

Last edited:
Dear Board,

The Juniata River at Newport came up 7 feet overnight. So much for fishing the Susquehanna River this weekend around Harrisburg.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Dear Board,

The Juniata River at Newport came up 7 feet overnight. So much for fishing the Susquehanna River this weekend around Harrisburg.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
You Tim

It ain't the Susky, but the river up above Lewistown isn't bad at all. I don't expect it to rise much up here. Below J County though..... lookout..

Dear Board,

Regards,

Tim Murphy

That was my planned float for tomorrow. It'll blow out quick but I'm worried about damage to people and property on the Juniata

That was my planned float for tomorrow. It'll blow out quick but I'm worried about damage to people and property on the Juniata
Juniata County got it bad, or so the news said. I drove to Bald Eagle SP today to crappie fish, and I could tell it must have been very localized heavy rain. No doubt that some people living along small creeks in J County saw some damage. I'm sure I'll hear all about it at work on Tuesday. I'll fill ya in..

Juniata County got it bad, or so the news said. I drove to Bald Eagle SP today to crappie fish, and I could tell it must have been very localized heavy rain. No doubt that some people living along small creeks in J County saw some damage. I'm sure I'll hear all about it at work on Tuesday. I'll fill ya in..
Dear jifigz,

Most of the rain seemed to fall within a 10-to-15-mile radius of Port Royal. Most of the damage that I saw reported was along Rte 75 and/or Rte 333. The west shore of the Susky will be muddy for a while. The east shore may be fishable on Sunday. I was hoping to get out tomorrow before the Penn State game but I think I'll just run errands instead and try Sunday or Monday.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Just drove 322 from Lewistown area down to Harrisburg. J was chocolate milk the whole way. It was to its banks, but not really out of them. Susky wasn’t all that high, but west side was chocolate milk from the J. East side was relatively clear the whole way to Harrisburg. FWIW.

The small streams I drove over today (mostly Mifflin Co.) were a mixed bag. Some were out of their banks, and some seemed very fishable with good color.

Swatara was low and clear! I caught 5 which is about my average there. One was a really nice fish however.

Back