rain jackets

Simms gore-tex lightweight and Simms gore-tex guide jacket. Much better and drier than the older Cabela's jackets I have. Hidden adjustable cuffs so nothing to catch your line sealed the deal for me.

I have 2 FroggToggs raincoats. I have the Java Hellbender and the Pilot III Guide Jacket. Both very affordable and I feel they are good quality. They work for me and I enjoy the pockets.

I have a marmot precip that I picked up on sale for $50. Very lightweight and thin. it also has pit zips for ventilation.

The thing with rain jackets is if you want to bust brush or want great durability you either need to where a rubber or plastic coat and sweat or you spend big money on a 3 layer goretex coat.

Otherwise buy 50-100 jackets and you should get a few years out of them if your not beating them too hard.

+1 for the precip, I had one that lasted me a long time and still have precip rain pants, though they're covered in patches. For a jacket I was since given a fancy Arcteryx 3 layer Gore-Tex one that's awesome. It comes with me almost anywhere I go and has never leaked. Not cheap, but 5 or 6 years in and it's still bomber.

Arcteryx is definitely the Taj Mahal of rain gear, very expensive... Everyone that I know who has one of their rain jackets has been happy with their performance.

Was out fishing all day Saturday in the rain, much of it torrential, and I was snug and dry in my breathable LLBean Goretex Paclight.

(Thanks Afishinado!)

A good fishing friend and forum member outfits me in a garbage bag with holes for head and arms.

Another vote here for Bean’s jackets.

Back