rain jackets

N

notan641

what rain gear does everyone like? Been looking for awhile, not just because of todays rain. haha

I've had good luck with the Patagonia anorak, I don't recall the model. I think there a lot of good rain jackets out there. Most of the new offerings are breathable and very stuffable and comfortable.
If you are considering one for serious rain then I'd go with something heavier that will likely Not be breathable.

I don't have one and don't have a brand to recommend, but if money is not an object, get something in goretex.

I have an older Cabela's gortex model that has served me well. That said, I do think that Cabela's isn't the same quality since the merger with Bass Pro Shops.

I will follow this thread closely since I work outdoors for a living and know that you get what you pay for.

My worst days at work are when the temperatures are in the mid to low 30's and it is windy with the rain coming at me sideways. I am going to get wet. That is when what I wear underneath my rain gear becomes very important.

I can't emphasize that aspect of clothing enough. Never wear cotton blue jeans or sweat shirts when you know you are going to get wet.

I have had every major fishing company’s rain jacket over the last 20 years. Most I either resold or gave away. My Patagonia jacket is still around for day to day use and hiking. When it comes to fishing an real wet days Simms Pro dry has been the only one to hang in there on soggy days. Too expensive. Yes! But I work outside and recreate outside everyday so its worth it to me. It really come down to usage vs. price.

i have the orvis pro jacket and while it does great at keeping water out it also is great at keeping water in. so im wet no matter what.

i have friends that have the patagonia jacket though and they do not encounter this issue.

Columbia outdry. Pretty light and comfy. Wish the material was softer but otherwise no complaints. Relatively inexpensive and much lower risk of wet out. Goretex is great but there will always be the risk of it suffering from wet out, especially in parts where the water can puddle.

https://sectionhiker.com/why-does-rain-gear-wet-out/

I am not into style points, pack ability or color combos. My one and only desire in rain gear is to keep me dry from the outside elements on cold days. Don’t care if I’m wet on hot days so breathability is not a concern. There is only one type rain jacket that keeps you bone dry and that’s PVC. Laugh if you like but here’s my rainy day suit. And it’s affordable, What’s not to like?

https://www.galeton.com/repel-rainwear-trade-3-layer-0-50mm-pvc-polyester-pvc-fisherman-s-rain-suit/7954-product/?set=FreeShip_50&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh7LGvo3y8wIVA52GCh2cGwGfEAQYASABEgJ4GvD_BwE&code=FREESHIP50&page=https://www.galeton.com/repel-rainwear-trade-3-layer-0-50mm-pvc-polyester-pvc-fisherman-s-rain-suit/7954-product/

I use an older cabela goretex but regardless of brand one thing I found important is if you wear a vest to size your new coat to fit over the vest.

good luck and stay dry.

I've been using a patagonia jacket for the last 5 years now.
It was one of the cheaper ones - got on sale for around $100.
Just a basic raincoat, but it does what it's supposed to - mainly keep me dry.
And it's lightweight, so that I can fold it up and easily carry it in the back of my vest if rain is possible

I don't really need the pricier ones, which usually have lots of pockets in them.
Have never understood the need for those. I would never put anything in them.

When it starts raining, I put it on - over my vest.
And take it off when it quits.
Why would I transfer all the things I need out ot the vest, and put them in those pockets. Then put them back when the rain quits.
Especially when it rains on and off all day
Doesn't make sense to me

dryflyguy wrote:

Why would I transfer all the things I need out ot the vest, and put them in those pockets. Then put them back when the rain quits.
Doesn't make sense to me

Agree completely - that's why I said to size it to fit over the vest - so you can just pull it on when needed.

I've never made much of an investment in rain gear. Right now, I have an older Redhead/Bass Pro hooded raincoat I bought out in Illinois 11-12 years ago. I paid maybe $25 for it. I'm not sure what it is made of. It is awfully light to be PVC, but maybe. Might also be coated nylon or some such. Keeps me dry though. It folds up into the back of my vest, but I kind of feel like Quasimodo with it back there so I usually just double knot the sleeves around my waist and travel like that. To Kbobb's point, I did buy it in 2XL so it fits over my vest.

Bang for buck. FroggToggs. Keep you dry and breathable. Last about three seasons. Not for brush busting though, one green briar and you are done. Just my two cents and not $300!

I have a Carhartt rain coat that I haven't worn yet. I don't think it will be very breathable, but I do think it will be very water-proof for rain coming in from the outside.

As posted above, the clothing underneath can be every bit as important as what is keeping rain out.

When I know that the rain and wind is coming at me sideways, I wear my contact lenses instead of eye glasses.

I am not a big man. I am 6' tall but weighed in at 164 lbs. yesterday at the doctor's office. That said, my feet sweat a lot and then get cold which can ruin an outdoor adventure.

This is why I don't wear insulated boots other than my L.L. Bean Bean's Boots. I need the Gortex lining. Without the Gortex lining, the boots really aren't water-proof. I am constantly changing socks. Otherwise, my feet sweat and get wet.

i wear a north face rain shell

dryflyguy wrote:
I've been using a patagonia jacket for the last 5 years now.
It was one of the cheaper ones - got on sale for around $100.
Just a basic raincoat, but it does what it's supposed to - mainly keep me dry.
And it's lightweight, so that I can fold it up and easily carry it in the back of my vest if rain is possible

I don't really need the pricier ones, which usually have lots of pockets in them.
Have never understood the need for those. I would never put anything in them.

Doesn't make sense to me

Agree with Dryflyguy that you want something you can easily just put over you with your gear on. My latest is an Orvis waterproof raincoat I found at the outlets for about $100. I think something that can be easily rolled up and put into your pack or vest is important too.

I also shove one of those cheapo walmart $2 plastic pullovers in my bigger vest as my emergency ponchos.

The have a lightweight packable rain jacket that I carry in my pack all the time. In addition, I have a heavier weather raincoat that I use as an outer shell when fishing in the cold weather months. Both are made of breathable material, which I consider essential for comfort (and safety) in the wet when it's cold.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80585?page=mens-gore-tex-paclite-stowaway-wading-jacket&bc=29-507923-507930-507949-9963&feat=9963-GN3&csp=a&pos=3

Yes, gortex is expensive IMO best buy for the buck. I've been using g-tx for 20+ years and the material lasts well if you fallow the cleaning directions and use Revive after washing.

Lightweight, easy packable and breathable... Columbia rain jacket, also has two exterior zippered pockets....

For packable light raincoats I use Patagonia or Columbia. They do OK.

But for my winter steelheading jacket where I absolutely have to stay dry I have a Frogg Toggs jacket. Plenty of pockets and cheap, but bulkier than the packing jackets. However, getting wet in a freezing rain in the winter is one of the worst experiences and the Frogg Toggs keeps me dry and warm in the worst weather.

Back