Rain Jacket?

I picked up a Simms Slick jacket years ago, on clearance as it was discontinued. Still expensive, but not at retail price. It's a great jacket. Love the huge chest pockets and the layout so they are hidden, and the side hand pockets. It's quality gore-tex, pretty much waders for your top. And the wrist cuffs cinch up tight, I can dunk an arm in the water to pick up something on the bottom and not get wet, or land fish.

One downfall is, IMO, the hood is too big and non-removable. I rarely wear a hood. Almost rather not have it. It's got a turtle-neckish neck which is good, and with a wide full brimmed waterproof hat I'd be happy with that. But it's got a bucket for a hood hanging off the back. I poked a small hole in the tip just so it drains.

I've used it fishing, hunting, and just out and about. Been through some soakers. It has never leaked. Yes, in a real soaker the DWR coating gives up and the surface wets out, and sweat does not evaporate then, so you end up a little damp all over, just like what happens in waders. But that's internal water, not external water getting in. When evenly slightly damp all over, and no wet spots, you know that's the case.

Last edited:
All very sound advice. I particularly like what @Mike and what @Swattie87 had to say and found it beneficial.

I have a light Orvis Pro rain jacket that I use in warm-warmish weather. I bought it in Oct 2020. It does seem to be losing it's water resistance, but I have not done any maintenance on it and it is quite dirty.

I will be looking to buy an outer shell style jacket here for my trip to Eric next week.

I purchased a Marmot. I love it. Light, pack-able and dry. It is a Gor-Tex product. Also, its important to keep it clean. Every year - 18 months I wash it and waterproof with NikWax products. I also add other gear to the wash load to spread the love and waterproofing.

I don't need no stinking rain jacket, I'm a fair weather fisherman. :p

Off to the woods to check my trail cams...

I just got a catalogue from Filson and they are selling their proprietary waterproof fabric Skagit rainwear. I have been underwhelmed by over-priced Filson products in the past and am not ready to cough up $400.00 for a rain jacket with a bare bones description that says the material is a 5.3 oz.100% nylon with membrane and tricot backer. Imported.

That doesn't tell me very much.

I would be interested in what other members have to say with experience with this product.

I am due for and upgrade from my aging Cabela's Gore-Tex, and I haven't put my Carhartt to the test yet. As I posted above, the underneath lining clothing is just as important as the raingear. I think that the Carhartt will be adequate in the upcoming colder weather.

I would rather work outside when it is snowing than a cold rainy day with the wind blowing in my face while wearing eye glasses.

100% nylon shell with (polyethylene) membrane that is woven too tight for water but allow vapor to escape.

Describes pretty much every waterproof, breathable membrane ever made. Gore Tex and all of the proprietary imitators. So it can be done well or not. I have no personal experience with that jacket, but being a Filson, and advertising it as a 3 layer, it's probably on the bombproof but not super duper breathable side of the scale. In fact, it looks remarkably similar in design to my Simms Slick, except the pockets are shrunk a bit. But neck, cuffs, interior, yeah. It's just a shell, the lining is gonna be like the lining of waders seams visible and all. Which is good for wading, as there's no cloth to soak up water if you wade deep.

When I was a teen, my rain gear was the nylon poncho you found at your local department store, the kind of store that had a small camping section (think Coghlans or Academy Broadway, either brand in olive drab). When it rained outside, it would quickly rain profusely inside the poncho, due to sweat and condensation. I then upgraded to cheap nylon windbreakers that had some short-lived water repellancy as well and eventually sprung for a Gore-Tex jacket (or two or three). They worked, but eventually would wet out, meaning once the moisture inside and out reached an equilibrium, you were swimming again. And also leaked surprisingly quickly, which was disappointing to me considering how much Gore-Tex costs. I recently went full circle, in a way, by purchasing an Antigravitygear Ultralight Rain Jacket. It's made of silnylon so it won't breath, but it has large pit zips to regulate temperature and allow condensation to escape and it won't leak. Packs up to the size of a softball and perfect for stuffing into a fishing pack or backpack and weighs under half a pound. It definitely won't stand up to brush busting for long but should handle any rain that the weather throws at me.

I have a Simms gore-tex wading jacket that I found on closeout a number of years ago (I think that it's an older G3 model) - and it is great. I spent a week this past July in Alaska and it rained every day that I was there and not once did I get wet. The only issue that I have with this particular jacket is that it's a bit warm (which was great for Alaska! but not great for warmer weather (75+F) rain protection)

Biggest priority in raincoats for me - being light enough to carry in my vest.
I want to carry it if rain is forecast, and be able take it off and put away when the rain ends.

I currently use a Patagonia H2no model that I bought at least 5 years or more ago.
It was fairly cheap - no bells or whistles - but it does what I want.
Keeps me dry when its raining

Back