Raccoon Catches a Penns Creek Brown Trout in Broad Daylight!

• Thread starter Off The Path Outdoors
  • Start date
Off The Path Outdoors

Off The Path Outdoors

Have you ever seen a raccoon snatch a trout out of the water in the daylight? Last weekend I was sitting on the bank of Penns Creek waiting for green drakes and rising fish. Then this raccoon popped up on the far bank. He was working the bank and searching the water presumably looking for crayfish. Then he pulled out a nice sized wild brown trout! Definitely one of the coolest and craziest things I've been able to catch on camera!

He needs a lesson on proper catch and release techniques, but at least he wet his hands first I guess!

That was very cool! Good catch on your part as well. I see there was a nice hatch going on.

That was very cool! Good catch on your part as well.
Thanks! I really enjoy having my camera with me. Just that day I filmed the raccoon, a couple of beavers, and some ducks and ducklings!

I see there was a nice hatch going on.
Unfortunately there wasn't much rising. It was right at the end of the green drakes in that section, so I'm sure they were all pretty well stuffed from the previous days.

Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Good for him. He's doing his part to remove invasives, although I suppose he also knows he'd have to eat 4 average brook trout to get the same serving of protein. So, smart raccoon too...

Where he caught that fish at, I tell people repeatedly thats where they lay during dun hatches on Penns. So many times you gotta stare at those banks intently to see rises in the rocky coves. No ring, just a beak or fin. So many people say they aren't seeing rises.

That fish was over there to feed and got fed on instead.

Very cool video.

Where he caught that fish at, I tell people repeatedly thats where they lay during dun hatches on Penns. So many times you gotta stare at those banks intently to see rises in the rocky coves. No ring, just a beak or fin. So many people say they aren't seeing rises.

Very cool video.
Thank you! Yep, the fish often hold tight to the banks often.

What a terrific video! Thanks for posting this.
I love raccoons. It was fun to watch this guy. It does indeed seem he's hunting for crayfish by probing under rocks with his hands. It seems the fish was under a loose rock and was flushed and pinned by the raccoon(?).
Neat.

What a terrific video! Thanks for posting this.
I love raccoons. It was fun to watch this guy. It does indeed seem he's hunting for crayfish by probing under rocks with his hands. It seems the fish was under a loose rock and was flushed and pinned by the raccoon(?).
Neat.
That's what it looks like to me as well. I wish he could've caught the fish before he crossed that big rock so I had a better angle, but when I zoomed in and slowed it down it looks like the trout was trying to dart out from under a loose rock and he snatched it up!

This is a great video with some very nice resolution. And I appreciated the series of progressive close-ups. Raccoons have very sensitive front paws for detecting various organisms in grass, under branches, in the water, etc.

While at first glance the trout seems to be pulled out from beneath a rock, I think there is a fairly flat, split off piece of a log floating between the two rocks. It bobs on the surface during and following the capture, so the trout may have been using it for overhead cover. Equally possible, however, is that the rocks were undercut and serving as cover. While it is no longer in vogue, the rip-rap version of such cover is still some of the best man-made structure for trout that one can find based on yrs of electrofishing. I would fish along such cover for a different reason than pcray suggested, but the idea would be the same.

As for the mortality itself, it’s proof positive that there truly is natural mortality 24/7 working against fish populations, even in daylight, and that trout don’t live forever if harvest isn’t a factor. If that lie in the video was such a good lie for that fish, its loss will be compensated (as in compensatory survival and mortality) by allowing another trout that was being squeezed or pressured out of it’s territory to take advantage of the new “vacancy.” And so goes the circle of trout life…loss of one bigger fish allows 1) a lesser one to gain an advantage that was previously unavailable, 2) continue to grow and survive , and 3) replace the size of fish that became raccoon dinner and was ideal for that territory.

Again, great video.

Last edited:
Great capture! The closeups are nice. Do you use a video camera or regular camera?
I always have my GoPro with me, but that doesn't work at all at any kind of distance. I started carrying my Nikon Z50 mirrorless camera with me on occasion, which is what I used for this video. But I do get a little nervous wading with a non-waterproof camera strapped to my chest pack...

I always have my GoPro with me, but that doesn't work at all at any kind of distance. I started carrying my Nikon Z50 mirrorless camera with me on occasion, which is what I used for this video. But I do get a little nervous wading with a non-waterproof camera strapped to my chest pack...
Yes, I hear you regarding the camera. I would be too nervous to carry it when fishing.

Yes, I hear you regarding the camera. I would be too nervous to carry it when fishing.
I have a fishpond submersible backpack so it's safe in there. But you can't use it from the backpack haha so at some point I am risking it. But I'm glad I had it with me on this day!

Very cool video.
Yes! I learned that lesson a number of years ago and it completely changed the way I fish!

Mike, the trout in Penns very often sit in the slow water on the banks like that. Especially on the outside bend of a curve, they usually move in during the afternoon for a dun hatch. The current sweeps bugs into the bank where they get caught in the slower water among the rocks. Each rock funnels current around it, meaning bugs from 2 or 3 feet of stream width get get fed over a single point, off the tip of each rock. Aggressively feeding fish will sit off the point in that current and feed consistently. More often, they'll sit behind the rock a while, then move into feeding position and rise 3 or 4 times quickly, then slide back in behind the rock and rest for 5 or 10 minutes, repeat for several hours. I've seen it 100 times there, you can set your watch by it. Feeding behavior more than cover, they're not there when nothing's hatching, they're out in the middle.

I look for it. You don't even see the rises unless you are staring at that spot. Often there's no ring, just a beak or a tail fin you see, maybe a wake. People walk by and say they haven't seen a rise all day when you have 9 or 10 of them working the bank in front of you, just nod and say yep. If you see it once from a distance you get into position, and then stare at that rock till he decides to start again, don't get distracted by the one 15 feet up, he'll get his turn. I usually cast on shore from above and twitch it back into the slow water in front of the rock, and let it float down around. Most of my bigger Penns fish have come doing this.
Then at dusk they all move out into the main current for bug soup.

I remember a couple afternoons in the water upstream of trestle bridge. Take the trail upstream along the stream until you get to the old bridge remains. Just above there, on the far side of the tail-out of that huge pool always has rising fish. You would never think to fish there and the rises are almost imperceptible.

Back