Quill Gordon

sandfly

sandfly

Quill Gordon from bucks county: Take notice of the color of the under side.

Attachments

• ep 2.JPG
    ep 2.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 17
  • ep molt 1.JPG
    ep molt 1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 7
  • ep molt 3.JPG
    ep molt 3.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 8
  • ep 4.JPG
    ep 4.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 10
  • epouris 1.JPG
    epouris 1.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 8
Here's a dun from a NC PA stream.

Everything seems to be working, don't know why the pics don't appear. I'll have to work on this.

Hi Dave - It appears the rules have changed. Pictures downloaded to the site used to have to be smaller than 1MB. Now, it looks like 150 KB is the limit.

H.A.

H.A., I set mine at 800 x 600 and have no problem.

Yes - 800 x 600 is small enough. Take a look at the pictures you posted in this thread - the file size is next to the photo file name.

Last night, the maximum allowable file size was 150 KB. Now, it's back to 1000 KB.

The following file is is 643 KB. Last night, it wouldn't upload - I had to use photobucket to post it. Today, it uploads with no problem. Photobucket automatically uploads pictures at 800 x 600.

Had I resized it to fit the 150KB max allowable size in place last night, it probably would have worked.

Somebody's messin' with us. :lol:

Attachments

• Perla Stonefly.jpg
    Perla Stonefly.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 6
Heritage-Angler wrote:
Yes - 800 x 600 is small enough. Take a look at the pictures you posted in this thread - the file size is next to the photo file name.

Last night, the maximum allowable file size was 150 KB. Now, it's back to 1000 KB.

The following file is is 643 KB. Last night, it wouldn't upload - I had to use photobucket to post it. Today, it uploads with no problem.

Somebody's messin' with us. :lol
:

Lol...no messing. Dave R. requested a bump to 1000kb and it bumped it for him (and all) to post pics.

Thanks to all for posting stuff in the forum. We are in the process of figuring a way to sort it all out and put into stickies to use as a reference for all members.

Good stuff!

afishinado, thanks so much!!

Now, here's that dun from a NCPA stream. And, if you want to compare H.A.'s pattern to the natural, here goes!

Attachments

• DSC_0157_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0157_edited-1.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 6
Oops! Dun pic now.

Attachments

• DSC_0174_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0174_edited-1.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 6
H.A., only now do I see your pattern is NOT a QG...

Success!

I just posted my stonefly pic to test the site. It's tied on a size 10 5262 Tiemco, so it wouldn't be a very good match for a QG nymph. Maybe the fish take it as a big mayfly nymph, but they do take it.

Now if we could just get that watermark thing taken care of for you, I'm sure we'll be seeing some really impressive pictures!

great series of pics, sandfly! Love seeing it molt.

I'd warn readers that colors often change, it'll be lighter immediately after molting and darken up with time.

Dave,
That looks like a pic of a blue quill nymph to me. this is what i have found here for QG's.

Attachments

• 4-18-07 024.jpg
    4-18-07 024.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 6
100% QG. Yours and mine are the same. I need to watermark these but I"ll post a BQ.

Attachments

• DSC_0149_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0149_edited-1.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 7
When you look at the gills on the picture OldLefty posted, it's a wonder more nymph patterns don't use more ostrich hurl. It looks very much like that when wet.

Good observation on the gills. Variation from plate-like on the QG to long, filament-like on the BQ.

Just curious Dave in what stream was the pic of the QG taken ?
Most I have seen are a greenishh color. Thats why it threw me. Pocono Qd's look like the one you posted.

From www.fishermonk.com:

Match the Hatch (ver 2.0)
Epeorus pleuralis
(This is a mayfly species endemic to North America)
COMMON NAMES: Quill Gordon, Gordon Quill, Dark Gordon Quill.

Emergence of E. pleuralis usually marks the beginning of good dry-fly fishing in the Eastern USA.
=========================================================
NYMPH:
Size: 9 - 11 mm.
Num. tails: 2
Tails: tan with dark specks
Body: dark grayish brown
Wing Cases: dark brownish black
Legs: tan, mottled with brown
Found in water: fast.
Range: East.
Lifestyle: clinger
Other: E. pleuralis nymphs have large, distinct, abdominal gills used as suction cups for clinging to rocks in fast water.

Bob, the nymph was from either Slate Run or Larrys Creek. The dun was from Larrys Creek.

Back