Quick stupid question about spring creek, among others

jayL

jayL

During my planning for my last trip to spring creek, I've been told many places to go and have been given many "back of a napkin" style bits of direction from various internet sources.

Well, theres one simple question I've got.

It looked to me that Spring flows north. I may have been disoriented, so if I'm wrong let me know and let this thread sink like a stone.

But... If it does indeed flow north I pose this stupid little question:

When everyone says "above" or "below" on this stream, I'm assuming "above" usually means upstream. My entire life, and in any non-fishing context, "above" means north.

Which is it? I played it safe and assumed "above" was upstream, but just wanted to clarify.

I usually say above in fishing context meaning upstream, but if im giving directions that are non fishing related I normally mean north.

Yeah, that's the problem. I suspect I've been given both brands of direction at the same time before. Just wanted to see what the majority does to clarify it for myself.

I second shipnfish's answer.

I don't think a steams direction of flow should have any bearing on saying above or below. I've always considered above to mean upstream, and below to mean downsteam.
It just seems to me that gravity would be a more important consideration that north, south, east, or west

Spring flows in a north easterly direction. As far as "above" to me it always refers to upstream, anything else would be stupid. He he! If on the other hand I am giving direction for someone to follow I never use the word above, there would be just to many meaning to the word. I would say north. For instance above could mean up the hill, or the next road above, or someone of higher rank or status, ETC. It's kind of like telling someone trying to find a place in New England go to the white house and turn left, when there may be 10 white house between the place the person is and the place to turn. Or in a Pennsylvania context, go down the road to the red barn and turn right. You get the point.

Jay,
Same thing happened to me on Stoney Creek is SW PA. Everyone said "go above rt 30" So I went North.....Wrong.

ryanh wrote:
Jay,
Same thing happened to me on Stoney Creek is SW PA. Everyone said "go above rt 30" So I went North.....Wrong.

Too bad they didn't say above Rte. 31; going North of there would have put you in the right place. :cool:

JayL,

Above means "over" or an elevated position. Because water flows to a lower point always, Above means upstream always in regard to stream descriptions. Direction has nothing to do with it. This is a common problem in Erie as well. As All the tribs flow north. When someone says the moved up to another spot, I ask "upstream"?

I get irritated at the use of the word up and down regarding directions. Unfortunately, folks don't take the time to consider their choice of words. Some old friends of mine used to to take it to another level (no pun intended), by using the word up anytime they went somewhere.

We're going up to WVU this weekend, Up to florida on vacation, down to Erie, etc. I always thought they lived in a hole in the ground. Since then I have no confidence in people who use these terms when giving direction...I think you will find that when you question people who use the term up and down for direction have no clue about N S E W. Just blurt out anyone of those directions while they are describing and watch their eyes roll around in their heads looking for the needle. I'm betting the next thing that comes out of their mouths is "what was I talking about".

My point is I like to be painfully clear about directions to the point of boring the listener. And one of my standard uses is Upstream...which is immediately clear. If talking about directions from point to point, N S E W is the clear way to describe it.

If up and down is north and south on a map...then what is east and west? This-a-way and that-a-way. :lol:

Anything more than two turns and I need a pencil anymore.....

Maurice

Maurice,

In the Burgh the easiest way to be sure of directions are; north generally is referred to as "up 'er an 'nat" and south is "dahn er"

As for East and West they typically do not venture beond the horizon.

Unless of course you are a pittsburgher who is actually out of pittsburgh at the time...When I went to Clarion...an hour or so north of pittsburgh...the kids from Da 'burgh would often say they were..."going up Pittsburgh this weekend..."

On a stream however I refer to "above" as upstream and "below" as downstream...but only on a stream...doesn't matter which direction it flows.

People often give very bad directions. That's why I have a lot of maps.

Back