questions about line weights

J

joeyd71

I am just getting started out in fly fishing- so in other words, I know next to nothing about it (although I have been fishing with my spincast for a few years.)

The rod I have is Wild Water AX34-090-4. It is a 9 foot, 4 section rod with a 3 or 4 weight. The reel I have is an old hand-me-down from my dad. It is a Eagle Claw, Model EC2 Automatic Reel.

First Question: Should I keep my fly line the exact same as the rod (4) or would I be alright if I bumped it up to a 5 weight line? I am aware that being a beginner I should stick with a WF_F line.

Second Question: Since I am a beginner, should I start with a store bought tapered knotless leader? I have some 4 pound test fluorocarbon line that I used last trout season a few times....could I just use this as my leader and tippet?

Third Question: My reel- does ANYBODY know anything about it? I already emailed Eagle Claw, but they can't help me out. I'd like to know what reel weight it is, because I would like it to be matched up with my rod and fly line.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I will be back.

joeyd71 wrote:
First Question: Should I keep my fly line the exact same as the rod (4) or would I be alright if I bumped it up to a 5 weight line? I am aware that being a beginner I should stick with a WF_F line.

Whatever makes you comfortable. Lots of fishermen under or overline their rods to get the desired performance. Try both and see what you like best.

Second Question: Since I am a beginner, should I start with a store bought tapered knotless leader? I have some 4 pound test fluorocarbon line that I used last trout season a few times....could I just use this as my leader and tippet?

I don't like knotless tapered leaders, but they were convenient when I was a beginner. I say use them. The 4lb fluoro will work fine.

Third Question: My reel- does ANYBODY know anything about it? I already emailed Eagle Claw, but they can't help me out. I'd like to know what reel weight it is, because I would like it to be matched up with my rod and fly line.

Reels don't really come with "line weight" designations. They usually are designed with a few sizes of line in mind for capacity reasons, but as long as it comes close to properly balancing the rod (so that it is comfortable to hold for extended periods of time).

Can't help ya with any details on the reel.

jayL wrote:
joeyd71 wrote:

Whatever makes you comfortable. Lots of fishermen under or overline their rods to get the desired performance. Try both and see what you like best.

I don't like knotless tapered leaders, but they were convenient when I was a beginner. I say use them. The 4lb fluoro will work fine.

Reels don't really come with "line weight" designations. They usually are designed with a few sizes of line in mind for capacity reasons, but as long as it comes close to properly balancing the rod (so that it is comfortable to hold for extended periods of time).

Can't help ya with any details on the reel.

Fantastic. You cleared up quite a bit for me. Thanks a lot!

That was going to be my fear with that reel. Looking at photos online of the reel, it seems pretty small. Getting backing and a 5wt packed in the reel maybe problematic.

One I am looking at online says "Eagle Claw Model EC2 Automatic Fly Reel Wright & McGill Co".

PM me your mailing address and I will send you some knot less leaders. I am robusto with them at the moment.

Edit: I would probably go with a 4wt line as it is a 3/4 weight rod with 4 being the heavier side.

Joey,
Welcome to the Paff Forum. We've got a friendly and knowledgeable crew here and the Beginner's Forum exists for folks such as yourself looking to ask basic questions. Enjoy!

I'm echoing Jay here on a lot, but I'll write it in my own words.

It is up to you, and depends where you fish. How long do you plan on casting? Long casts = keep it the same. Short casts = ok to overline. A standard cast is 30 ft of flyline beyond the tip of the rod. Thats the weight of line the rod is designed for. If you don't think you'll hit 30 feet, overline it.

Some of us use flat leaders, and there are advantages to doing so, especially for subsurface fishing. But as a beginner, you'll find casting much easier with a tapered leader, it will turn the fly over better. The knotless are fine. I always liked knotted leaders a bit better, and many shops make and sell their own. But again, knotless is fine. Your flouro is probably fine for a tippet, but you want a tapered leader behind it.

I don't know anything about it. As far as matching up to the rod, it's a balance thing. Put it on the rod (with line strung!), and find the balance point. Should be somewhere near the front end of the grip, theoretically right where your pointer finger grips it, though it's rarely "exact". If its not even close, perhaps go reel shopping, otherwise this'll do just fine for now. As far as holding line, most reels you can just play with the amount of backing to get it right. If you don't have room for backing, it's ok to cut the fly line, but on a WF line you want to do it from the back, not the front. The part on the reel doesn't matter, but the part your fishing with, keep it like the manufacturer wants it.

That said, I don't know much about auto fly reels and if they're more picky about line diameter. Can't imagine they'd be too picky, there's so many brands and tapers and such.

Using the recommended line weight for the rod will probably work best.

And don't think that you have to buy a weight forward line. Double taper lines work well. When the line gets worn, you can reverse the line on the reel and use the other end. So you get twice as much use of the line for the same price.

jdaddy wrote:
That was going to be my fear with that reel. Looking at photos online of the reel, it seems pretty small. Getting backing and a 5wt packed in the reel maybe problematic.

One I am looking at online says "Eagle Claw Model EC2 Automatic Fly Reel Wright & McGill Co".

PM me your mailing address and I will send you some knot less leaders. I am robusto with them at the moment.

Edit: I would probably go with a 4wt line as it is a 3/4 weight rod with 4 being the heavier side.

The way that the line is on the reel right now, there is 71 feet of fly line, with no backing at all. I have never changed this and is most likely how it sat since around the 70's. I took some pictures to give you an idea of the size of the reel. I don't know the size of the line on there right now, so it's kind of hard to determine what to replace it with.

These pictures are showing the real in relation to my hand, and how much room there is in the reel itself. When the reel is completely wound up, it looks as though I could fit another 1/4 an inch of line around the reel.

Also, I will be PM'ing you right after I type this.

PICTURES:

http://www.paflyfish.com/cache/4402_4d1ce41587290.jpg

http://www.paflyfish.com/cache/4402_4d1ce40a6e91a.jpg

http://www.paflyfish.com/cache/4402_4d1ce3fc9eff7.jpg

Considering it probably had a 3 or 4 weight on it before and that modern lines are 90-100 feet versus 71 feet currently on there, I think 5 wt line would be a tight fit.

joeyd71 wrote:
I am just getting started out in fly fishing- so in other words, I know next to nothing about it (although I have been fishing with my spincast for a few years.)

You know what they say about opinions? Its doubly true in my case.

Subjective, and its tough to answer really. Do you have a friend who's knowledgabe? Line weight affects casting, and casting can be easier with a different weight line.

To simplify, a rod is "best" at its listed weight for the "action" the maker wanted. You can change this somewhat by changing out the line weight, and just because they say its best, doesn't mean it is. Y'know?

Sure, you could probably use a 5wt line, and you'd probably be fine, but why the desire to use the heavier line? WHat's your reason for that?

Also, WF or DT doesn't matter. The front taper is effectively the same for both up to ~30'. WF lines can shoot line better if you need to do hero casts, but in your 4wt trout fishin' it probably doesn't matter. Run whatcha brung.

My personal opinion is I'll only buy DT lines for trout fishing anymore.

Buy a couple of knotless, tapered leaders. When you clip off the front tippet piece, tie on some more tippet. Yes, you can use your 4# fluoro for tippet, and you'd be just fine. FC sinks, mono doesn't. Drop the $3 for a couple spools of tippet at Sprawlmart in 4x and 5x, though. Its more supple, and if you're learning why hinder yourself?

The reel is a line holder. Does the whole rod feel good in your hand when the reels on and the line is out? Is it really butt heavy, or tip heavy? No? Then its sized just fine.

Automatic reels don't hold much backing, are heavy and mostly unused. Some guys love 'em. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You'll want a new one someday, but yours works just fine.

When people say "match the line, rod, and reel" they usually mean to find the right balance. Its arbitrary beyond that, though.

Depends on where ya live, Gary. Walmarts around here don't have tippet.

jdaddy wrote:

Actually, IIRC, the 3/4 usually implies 3DT/4WF as once you're past the head on a WF line the loading weight drops significantly, but the DT line contains a full taper.

Without trying to be extra rude, for the OP it probably doesn't matter here. Buy a 4DT and rock on.

jdaddy wrote:
Considering it probably had a 3 or 4 weight on it before and that modern lines are 90-100 feet versus 71 feet currently on there, I think 5 wt line would be a tight fit.

Betcha not. If its from the '70s, its probably NOT a 3 or 4wt, as that was stupid light for a glass rod, its also probably a DT, not a WF, as that's what people bought then.

Furthermore, look at how fat and uniform that is. I bet its a 6wt line, and its either a DT or a level line.

Joey, settle this for us.. When you're done, cut off the first 30' and weigh in. I want to be right.

jayL wrote:
Depends on where ya live, Gary. Walmarts around here don't have tippet.

****'s, Sprots Authority, Big 5, there's always something.

But, yeah, your literal point stands. Heh.

joey pal where are you from ? GO TO A LOCAL FLY SHOP even though some on here think they can tell u what weight line is on the reel by a picture , take it to someone in the business , let them set you up with what u need and explain how to use it , when to use it ,

I was under the suspicion he was going to buy a new line?

Meh, whichever. I'm still right. I'm always right.

the wild water rods are pretty stiff and don't have a lot of feeling in them at their designated line rating. That, plus being a newbie, i'd get a 5wt line. Allen FF, a site sponsor, has what you need, at the right price. also, head to your local fly shop and get yourself a new reel. bring the rod with you to match it up (balance it out)and don't spend alot - look for okumas or entry level reels. They should also hook you up with leaders and explain the difference between them and tippet. Oh, they will have flies there too.
:) Get some nymphs and wolly buggers. Also, ask the shop for some indicators and inquire on the leaders needed for that, where your spinning mono will work. Learn blood knots and perfections loops, assuming you know how to tie on a fly.
depending on where you are located, I'm sure a forum member could help you through the learning process.
Welcome to PAFF!

I'm going to PM you some info, but as far as that reel goes, it looks kinda small. I second taking it to a shop and having them give it the once over. If it does turn out to be to small for the 4wt, I would suggest shelling out $25 and get a Medalist. It's cheap, built like a tank and will probably outlast you. :)

I'm going to give what might be unpopular advice. Like in most sports or hobbies, we tend to overcomplicate things and make it seem harder than it is. Fly fishing is a lifelong process of learning. Without going to extremes, the line weight to rod match will matter a lot when you are laying out lots of line. As a beginner, keep it in close and learn to manage the line on the water. The reel just holds line and most guys I see strip in line by hand and unless you hook a really big one, reel drag and backing don't come into play. For leader, I got hooked on furled leaders. One will last for a couple of years and you only need 4x and 6x tipper to start. Just keep replacing the tippet. Most importantly, try to get on the water with someone that knows what they are doing and can teach you a bit. I'll bet most of the guys on this site learned to flyfish with sub-optimal gear and honed their craft over many years. Get the best equip you can reasonably afford and enjoy the sport. It is a terrific pursuit.

As a beginner I would say no don't over or underline your rod without consulting a shop as to what will give you the fastest learning curve. Some old reels are very heavy and therefore are not well suited to todays fly rods. You may want to get a new reel matched to the rods recommended line weights. Try several reels it will help your casting immensely getting the euipment right from the beginning.

Back