Question: TAKING MY DOG FLY FISHING?

bbillings30

bbillings30

My wife and I got a new puppy, he's a Portuguese water dog/poodle mix. He's only 14 weeks old, but he'll be about 20-25 pounds. He's extremely loyal and stays right next to me when we go on hikes. I think he'll be a perfect companion when fly fishing, but I have a few concerns. I know there are a lot of snakes (copperheads and rattlesnakes) around Clinton County and I'm afraid he'll get bit. Also, what are the chances of a run-in with coyotes and such? If anyone takes their dog fishing with them I'd love for you to share any advice you have on the subject. Thanks!

I've taken my golden retriever with me twice. He does pretty good, but he always wants to eat/play with the trout I catch, lol. If you are worried about snakes/coyotes, carry a pistol. The snake bite thing is pretty much unpreventable other than having your dog follow you and you clearing a path/keeping an eye out. Would be some good time to spend together though and enhance the training of your pup.

take him to a stocked lake pond or creek first. see if he can handle you staying in one place, before you tackle pristine waters.

a friend of mine in Ireland, when he goes fishing his pup just lies down in the shallows and goes to sleep (in the water). its the oddest thing.

Used to have a lab. Tried taking him a few times but he was just too undisciplined and either was off somewhere in the woods behind me or trying to take a swim right in the spot I was fishing. While he loved every minute of it it was a pita for me.

I would say unless your dog is extremely well behaved and willing to sit quietly by your side or on the bank while you're in the stream, leave him at home.

If you think you have to pack a sidearm while fishing in order to shoot a coyote that may attack your dog, I would suggest you leave the dog at home or fish elsewhere.

mine does this a lot.

Attachments

• DSCF3639 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF3639 (400x300).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF3615 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF3615 (400x300).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2
My yellow lab as a pup was taught by 2 goldens to trounce up and down a little creek when I used to race RC cars. Took her fishing once, she did the same thing ran up and down the stream so she stays at home now. Her Native American AKC name is ***** That Spooks Fish

My old mut would sit on the bank anywhere I went. I have a pit bull puppy I'm hoping will do the same. Nervous about taking a pit bull though do to the propaganda about the breed.

Somersetian, it's not the breed it's the owner and training.

I would leash any dog you cannot trust with strangers if you plan to be out in public. As for snakes and other dangers, they are no different than the ones you take. So, if you could not bear to see your dog suffer or die, then be careful taking them on adventures that may endanger them.

I fished with Dan several times when his dog was along. A very well-behaved companion. He never once crowded me out of my hole. The last time was when his dog got struck by some kind of snake. The dog survived, but Dan left early in obvious distress to take his dog to the vet.

A run in with coyotes is unlikely. They are shy and reclusive in non urban/suburban settings and will know you and your pooch are there long before you know they are there and they will bolt. I see coyote prints all over the place, but the only coyotes I ever see are ones dead on the side of the road.

Snake encounter is much more a reality though, and enough for me to not take my dog along with me. I've seen at least one Rattler while fishing the last 3 years running.

Depending on the stream, I often find discarded hooks with powerbait/worms/whatever still attached. You know, those kind of things that a dog just can't resist eating.

Snakes would give me pause, but swallowing a baited hook is probably more likely.

I take my Lab fishing... he's not real bright and afraid of water.

As for snakes, should your dog get bit, kill the snake or confirm the species and get the dog to emergency vet clinic. They should carry antivenin during peak bite season. Some bites won't kill a dog and they will just give them meds... I think it's just an antihistamine and an anti-inflammatory

I had a dog that was bit by a cottonmouth and I was lucky, the vet had antivenin.

I would say it matters big time, if you are fishing where others are fishing. I had a dog, but I never took him stream side when I was fishing. Though I'm pretty sure he'd stay by my side, I'm also sure he would have taken off if he'd seen prey.
I'm not sure if you'll run into coyotes, I know they are around, but again I've never seen any while fishing. Bears are a danger, but my biggest concern was always poisonous snakes.

troutfanatic wrote:

As for snakes, should your dog get bit, kill the snake or confirm the species and get the dog to emergency vet clinic. They should carry antivenin during peak bite season. Some bites won't kill a dog and they will just give them meds... I think it's just an antihistamine and an anti-inflammatory

I had a dog that was bit by a cottonmouth and I was lucky, the vet had antivenin.

Why would you kill the snake? Revenge for biting the dog? Why risk getting bitten yourself?

Regarding dog/snake or coyote enounter..

The coyote encounter would be a rarity. The only time I can think you'd even see a coyote in the wild is if they were rabid. I've only seen one coyote in the daytime in PA and it slunk away quickly. I've heard them howling many a time a night (eerie sound) and I've seen them during the day a number of times in the western states, but always from afar.

The snake encounter might be more likely. How the dog would handle something new would be the wild card. I've encountered rattlers in PA probably a dozen times or so. When I've spotted them, I've always given them a wide, respectable berth. I also walk slowly and alertly in areas I know they may be present and I don't go sticking my nose or paws underneath rocks. If your dog is curious in snuffling around such places, or would be aggressive if they did find a snake, then you might want to consider that in the equation.

I immediately thought of Squaretail's dog encounter with a snake that he posted about a few years ago. I think it was on Mountain Creek and assume it is the same encounter Jack mentioned.

Bottom line is that life is full of risks. Figure out the risk to the dog and how the demeanor of the dog might add to the risk. Then, plan accordingly. There's probably a bigger chance of something happening on the vehicle ride to the stream than there is on the stream (at least that is what I tell my wife when I fish alone). But that doesn't mean there is zero risk on the stream.

Salmonoid, I think they say kill the snake so you can bring it to the vet for positive identification.

When I lived in Texas I saw coyotes often and they were reclusive. A few times I walked toward them just to see what they would do. They always ran away before I could get within 100 feet of them. Maybe one with rabies or a really bad attitude would respond differently, but it would rare. Yeah, I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do and I wouldn't do it now.

I would like to offer my advice on this subject. I have a 2 year old lab "Reggie" that I train for waterfowl/upland game hunting. I have a very high expectation of him on and off the field.

It's very important to make sure you have a means of control on your dog in case danger is present. me and well over thousands of other hunters in PA use an e-coller (shock collar by the antis) That's an entirely different topic on its own because you must introduce this method to the dog safely, you cant just slap it on and start zapping.

Anyhow, there is that option, or a long lead, leash etc.

Its very very hard to go somewhere and not want to take your dog.. they are family too.

I take mine only about 2 or 3 times a year when the perfect situation presents itself.

For example, I took him this past year on our early May trip to my cabin with our group of friends. We ended up hitting the fly fishing only section of Young Womans creek.

Here are some pictures of him with my brother, father and playing in the water when we took breaks from fishing.

It can be done, but just use common sense. Try not to have the dog jump up on anyone or you will tear waders, don't let your dog run up on strangers because they may not be dog people and God forbid they do something to the dog without you seeing it happen.

numerous things..

But on a hot sunny day, ill take him to a stream on a section I have to myself and let him have a blast.

hope you enjoy the pictures

Chris

for some reason the links aren't working but there are 5 or 6 pictures here

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t643/chris_spangler1/regfish5_zps6ac9a9dd.jpg

As far as snakes and coyotes, they are out there and its hard to predict when and where they will be.. I'd be more worried about snakes then coyotes especially during the warmer months when food is readily available.

snakes should only be shot for identification purposes and taking it to the hospital if you or someone or the dog gets bitten. I carry my pistol for other personal reasons

I hope you are able to enjoy some water time with your furry friend. I know its possible.

Just so you know, I could only see one photo, the bucket said your bucket was private. But I could turn the one I saw into a Christmas card for $5, though I declined:

salmonoid wrote:
troutfanatic wrote:

Why would you kill the snake? Revenge for biting the dog? Why risk getting bitten yourself?

Regarding dog/snake or coyote enounter..

The coyote encounter would be a rarity. The only time I can think you'd even see a coyote in the wild is if they were rabid. I've only seen one coyote in the daytime in PA and it slunk away quickly. I've heard them howling many a time a night (eerie sound) and I've seen them during the day a number of times in the western states, but always from afar.

The snake encounter might be more likely. How the dog would handle something new would be the wild card. I've encountered rattlers in PA probably a dozen times or so. When I've spotted them, I've always given them a wide, respectable berth. I also walk slowly and alertly in areas I know they may be present and I don't go sticking my nose or paws underneath rocks. If your dog is curious in snuffling around such places, or would be aggressive if they did find a snake, then you might want to consider that in the equation.

I immediately thought of Squaretail's dog encounter with a snake that he posted about a few years ago. I think it was on Mountain Creek and assume it is the same encounter Jack mentioned.

Bottom line is that life is full of risks. Figure out the risk to the dog and how the demeanor of the dog might add to the risk. Then, plan accordingly. There's probably a bigger chance of something happening on the vehicle ride to the stream than there is on the stream (at least that is what I tell my wife when I fish alone). But that doesn't mean there is zero risk on the stream.

Kind of confrontational... bad day at the office?

PhiendWMD is exactly correct, so re-read my post.

"kill the snake or CONFIRM the species"

PA has three poisonous snakes that I am aware of, but the OP didn't say he solely fishes in PA... I know I don't.

I won't be bit for killing a snake because the sanke will take a blast of .00 buck from the Judge.

Knowing what bit you or the dog will help a veterinary clinic or the ER determine methods of treatment.

The Copperhead is Hemotoxic. The venom attacks red blood cells. CROFAB can be administered however, some humans have an allergic reaction to it which can put them at greater risk than not dosing them with antivenin. I am not sure about dogs. Most Copperhead bites are seldom lethal in humans.

The Massasauga is also hemotoxic, but if I remember correct, they also bear a slight neurotoxicity. They are known to dry-bite. A vet or doc can usually determine pretty quick if the victim got a dose. It is notable that Massasauga venom is one of the more toxic ones in the Eastern US, but they tend to give a low dose.

Timber Rattlesnakes are different because there are 3 subspecies each with a different venom. One has Neurotoxic venom, while another is Hemotoxic... decisions decisions.

I cannot remember which venom type is present in the northeast variety.

A third has a weak venom that will not harm a human, but may harm a pet.

Nuerotoxic bites need treatment quickly because they can be extremely bad.

So let's say our OP decides to fish out west with his pooch and get's bit by a Mojave Green... would you accept risk?

I won't, that snake will get a dose of .00

The good news is that snakes are victims of bad myths. They are seldom confrontational and choose to avoid contact with humans. A curious dog may be a different story.

Peace, have a better day

Sorry about the Christmas card suggestion LOL I can see why you politely declined... here are the images.. sorry if they are big.. I have no idea how to make them smaller.. im working on that

Rattle snakes are good eatin too.

Sounds like a situation were you need to make an educational decision based on your situations specifics. Your dog, how well it is trained, the time of year and location you are fishing, etc etc.

Back