Question on Safe Wadding Levels on The Little J

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Using the Spruce Creek gauge what water flow levels (CFS) do you feel it’s comfortable to wade.

I know that this is a very subjective question and that one’s age, experience, and aggressiveness is a part of the equation. I am familiar with Penns Creek and 500 is a good number for me. I want to be able to determine how fishable The Little J has been. Thanks in advance.

This has come up many times on here.

I've always gone by gauge height on the little j

3 feet is a good level above spruce creek.
2.5 below it.
That keeps it pretty simple IMO

400 or less, particularly for fishing downstream of Spruce. 225-300ish being ideal IMO. I think most peoples wading would begin to be very limited as flows exceed 400.

Keep in mind the Usgs gauge is just above the confluence with Spruce so a 400cfs reading does not include the water from Spruce.

Go to the LJRA website and click on "flow." Before you get the usgs reading, the site lists appropriate fishing flows for the LJR.

dryflyguy wrote:
This has come up many times on here.

I've always gone by gauge height on the little j

3 feet is a good level above spruce creek.
2.5 below it.
That keeps it pretty simple IMO

Perfect. These are the guidelines I go by at 58 years old and still pretty fleet of foot. Years back I could go 3.5/4ft and a pretty decent flow but, the fleet is starting to leave the foot. And here again. I'm talking down through Barree and the dead end parking lot past Brad's house. If you've never met Brad you are missing out. Veteran of the 1st degree. Thank him for his service.

FiveWeight:

I hear you

I used to wade the whole river at a gauge reading of 3, and even more.
But my creaky knees don't like that kind of flow now

rrt wrote:
Go to the LJRA website and click on "flow." Before you get the usgs reading, the site lists appropriate fishing flows for the LJR.

Can you please be more specific? Perhaps a link?

MD_Gene wrote:
rrt wrote:

Can you please be more specific? Perhaps a link?

http://www.littlejuniata.org/flow-rates-on-the-j/

dryflyguy wrote:
FiveWeight:

I hear you

I used to wade the whole river at a gauge reading of 3, and even more.
But my creaky knees don't like that kind of flow now

LOL. I still get adventurous in my wading but, now before I start from where I'm standing I study the water and what's below as best I can and start my contingency plans of A, B, and sometimes C if this happens or that happens what do I do then and where am I gonna wind up down stream. LOL. Be safe out there Ol creaky knees! And I hate to admit it but, since about the 55 year old mark I carry a wading staff depending on what for water I'm on. I have a love hate relationship with that stick!

Back