Pumping a Trout stomach?

The fish might be selective and there might be something going on under the surface that you can't see . Alot time the fish really don't get to see whats under the rocks like right now theres really not to many hatches going on so the nymphs aren't really active . Yes there will be some stuff you won't be able to reconize but you will be able to tell what the trout has been eating recently. I have force fed residents at work and the only thing that I could see bothering the fish would be a little air in thier stomach....

Of course you can tell whats in the stomach, just look at the pic i posted. http://i9.tinypic.com/43dwb4y.jpg And on the way of putting the food back in, would suck water in the tube along with the food, then squirt it right in its mouth, the water should pull the food down its body...aka no air.

mute wrote:
Of course you can tell whats in the stomach, just look at the pic i posted....

So much for figuring out what they are keying on, then. :-o

I think I did that twice, couldn't stand the look they gave me

Okay, so now we've shown that the process is less traumatic to the fish than expected and does give useable info regarding their last food intake. Now, how many do pump trout stomachs in order to catch more fish and how many are happy turning over rocks and looking at leaves or seining the stream to match whatever is there? NOTE; this is not a "which is better" question, just a "which do you do".

Never did either-
Never found the need to do either.

Tom G:
Yes, I saw that snail in Mute's pic and I'd SWEAR it's an East Coastal Crawlingunderrockus Snail, but could be wrong. Might, even be, an E.A. Crawlingunderlogus Snail, the colors are hard to determine from the picture.

In answer to Mediclimber, the answer is no. I don't pump trout's stomachs, anymore than I carry along a collection of "Insect collection bottles and preservative", my "Latin/English dictionary",
(I can already say: "Eat Me, Too, Brutus!" without looking it up!)
or, my copies of both "Trout", and/or, "The Complete Angler".

There are just more fun things, in flyshing, for me to do when on the water than to perform stomach pumping on my fish. I go way back, in this post, to the smart gentleman that asked: "If you've already CAUGHT a fish, so you have one to pump the stomach on............. doesn't that sort of TELL YOU......what fly they may be hitting?"

Of course, I'm also one of those "smelly wader types" so what do I know?

turning over rocks is more fun, more educational and less stressful on the fish, its what you do when waiting for the rise.

I wouldnt pump a stomach to figure out what theyre keying in on. But more of a never done it, why not. Its a experienc, knowledge, ive turnt over so many rocks its boring. But when i see a snail in the trouts stomache or a salamander i can be like oh wow, thats interesting

Skues used one, (M.S.) Marrow Spoon and a B.P. (Baby Plate), and when I worked at my local flyshop they sure sold alot of them, except on the days I worked. Guys would ask me if I ever used one. I would always be honest and told customers what I thought and nine times out of ten they never sold. My opion, they do kill fish, and if they won't take what I offer them then so be it.

mediclimber wrote:
Okay, so now we've shown that the process is less traumatic to the fish than expected and does give useable info regarding their last food intake. Now, how many do pump trout stomachs in order to catch more fish and how many are happy turning over rocks and looking at leaves or seining the stream to match whatever is there? NOTE; this is not a "which is better" question, just a "which do you do".

There are a ton of clichés that fit this question.

There is more to hunting than just the kill.
There is more to fishing than just the catch.

To answer your question, More often than not, the answer is none o the above. I like to travel light when trout fishing, and I don't carry a seine.

Here's the deal. I like to fish. I prefer fly fish because I find it more challenging than other forms of fishing. I don't do it because it is some silly fad or because i saw it in a movie or an ad in GQ, or an insurance company ad. Even if stomach pumping was effective, and I'm not convinced that it is except in rare cases, don't you think pumping fish stomachs is defeating my purpose of fly fishing?

Stop and smell the roses. You can learn more by simply stopping and observing the trout, the stream, and the surroundings.

And another thing. In the rare case when you can actually get useful information by pumping a trout stomach, I would venture an educated guess that those are the days when you don't really need to pump the stomach in the first place because the fish are feeding well.

I'll admit I have turned a few rocks over the years, but only a few. I don't make a habit of it.

Back