Preferred FFing method

What FFing technique do you like to fish most?

• Dry Fly or Popper

Votes: 65 55.6%
  • Wet Fly

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Nymphing

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Streamers

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
No dry dropper option...best of both worlds. I've found myself doing it quite often and sometimes in situations where fish a spooky I toss a dry on instead of an indicator and have seen some success while my fishing buddies are struggling.

While I like to dry fish, I nymph 90% of the time.

For trout, STRICTLY throwing 3 wet flies 99% of the time. Then articulating streamers.

Why no option for tenkara? 😂

I said dry fly and that includes poppers for smallmouth bass.

Probably not the best approach, but I only fish streamers (wooly bugger type flys). It generally works well for me as I've only been skunked once this season. I find nymphing too dull and due to work, I'm rarely able to get out and make a hatch to fish drys.

Probably 60% of my fishing is dries and that's what I enjoy. I also think it's the most effective method when I use it. Of course, I am targeting places and times of day where I think it'll be most effective. For instance, I tend to fish bigger, richer water in the evenings in the springtime. Midday in spring, as well as from mid-June on when hatches die down, I generally focus on mountain streams.

I'm including emergers and floating nymphs with "dries".

30% is nymphs. Talking mostly later fall/winter/early spring here. And in certain conditions I'll do a dry dropper on those mountain streams.

10% everything else. I'll toss streamers around in high water situations, for instance, or that occasional deep pool on a small stream. Swing wets on rare occasions.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the visual aspect of dry fly fishing the most. I use dries 95% of the time.

I ENJOY dryfly the most, followed by wets and streamers. Little or no interest in nymphing (I don't catch as many as y'all)

It’s hard to beat the excitement of seeing a fish come up and take your dry fly (or refuse it 😉). That being said I challenged myself this year to get better at my nymphing game, so this year I spent much more time doing that.

Nymphing for me but on a resent float trip I did enjoy swing wet flies.

I lean toward dry fly/top waters for most of my fly fishing. Nymphs, soft hackles, then streamers. Nymphs fall out of the mix in warm water. Steamers move up to second, then large soft hackles(size 6 and size 4).

I voted dries but it’s because I like fishing up top the most but I do it all depending on what I think will work best at the moment. Most times that’s not dries it’s something else but the question was what do you like doing the most not what do you catch the most doing.

E: sight fishing in saltwater.

Back