Practice Waters near State College

I was really self conscious when I got into fly fishing. Usually if anyone showed up, I would act like I was done and roll out. Or I would get something to eat and watch the other guys do it. One day, I had three guys pretty much surround me, they all noticed my subpar casting and bad technique. They gave me the best teaching session I could have ever had. Better then the class I just had my wife too during the spring. I would say most of the people out there will help you. Do not be shy.

I still do back yard casting from time to time and use small mouth water to keep my skills up when I am not trout fishing.

skcuf wrote:
What about trying on warm water? I've sinced moved away from State College (I'm looking to go back if anyone wants to hire a PSU grad :)) but I think there is a small lake off of 322 that you could probably use to practice casting on the water. Probably catch some sunfish as well.

I think it was Colyer? People who still live there can comment on the fishing legality of this lake as I've never actually been there. I usually look on Google maps for places and this is one I remember.

Colyer has been all, but drained. There is a place called Harvest Fields which is on the right before Tussey on 322. They have 5 ponds, all of which hold bass. I'd recommend the lowest pond.

Back