Potter County recommendations?

P

PAFLYBOY

Hello all, after 27 year living in Western PA I think it's time I try out the fishing in North Central PA. I'm looking for recommendations as to where to fish. I'm mainly thinking of trying Kettle Creek, as well as Slate and Cedar Runs. I would also like to try some of the smaller tribs for wild brookies. On the other end of the spectrum, I wouldn't mind swinging a streamer or wet fly on a two handed rod on some bigger water(Pine Creek?). Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm also looking for suggestions for good places to stay up there. I'd rather not spend a lot of money, and being near a bar where I can get some food, beer and watch the hockey playoffs would be a plus! Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kettle Creek is in Potter and Clinton Counties, maybe another, Slate is mostly in Lycoming and Tioga, Cedar Run is in Tioga. All are very good, I fished them all last week, and they fished well. It's a good place to start if you haven't been there before, but don't overlook the tribs of all of those streams, the tribs many times fish better then the main stems.

Get a hold of Sandfly ,he will fix you up with everything you need

+1 to beadhead2

Every little trickle has trout up there. Drive around and take your pic!

Pine Creek is your best bet for big water. Its bigger than Kettle. The Darling Run access isn't far from Sandfly's shop, so stop in, see him, buy what you need and get your information. He'll put you on the right waters, big and small.

sQUATCH.......There ya go ......... you got that right on the money , get in the car and take a drive till you spot some water that looks good 2 you there WILL be fish there.......ask SQUATCH..... that not only works it's so much FUN!!!!!

If you want to be near Slate & Cedar & right on Big Pine this IS the place to stay & eat/drink.

The Manor HAS the BEST food around.

http://www.hotel-manor.com/

If you want to be farther north, but you're about 40-45 minutes from Slate & Cedar. This is on the upper part of Pine on RT 6.

If you want a place to stay up north you have...

http://www.ox-yokeinn.com/#/home/
It has food, beer, tv, & beds. I have not had dinner there so I can't recommend the food.

The Log Cabin Inn is the place to eat up along RT 6.

The Slate Run / Cedar Run area is about 50 minutes from the Kettle area.

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm still not sure when I'll be up but I hope to make it by the first week of June. I'm starting to lean towards staying in the Cross Fork area on Kettle. Also, I do intend to visit Sandfly's shop, assuming he's open when I drive up. When I drive up I intend to take the "great circle route" along route 6 to maximize the sight seeing on my way. I can already tell that this can only lead to more trips up! Tight lines, all...

Take 44 North. Its the most scenic, in my opinion.

Kettle Creek Cabins are nice too, right on little Kettle (walk a few hundred yards and be on some nice waters!), although no bar there. They have a lodge too, w/ TV.

colton point motel caters to fly guys and has a good breakfast..call when you plan to be in the area and I'll make sure I am here and not fishing...

Thanks Sqatch that's one of the ones I was considering. Sorry for all the questions but, does anyone have any experience with the Cross Fork Motel in Cross Fork? They are, by far, the least expensive lodging I have found(that scares me a little...). They also seem to be walking distance to a bar/restraunt(that's a good thing...). Thanks again.

I've heard that the cabins at Quiet Oak Campgrounds, near Cross Fork, are nice.

They have a website.

Flyboy, I've stayed at the cross fork motel. The room was clean and nice. There are a lot of cool old appliances, handmade bunk beds, and some other kind of "unique" stuff about the rooms. You feel like you're staying at someone's old hunting camp, which i really enjoyed.

The only downside was that it took us maybe half an hour or more to find the owner who had the keys to our room. He was a really nice guy, but he had us scared that after a long drive through a rainy night we wouldn't have a dry place to lay our heads. I could have done without that part.

Welcome to the mountains Icy, hahahaha!

That inn sounds pretty cool.

got a room open for rent, and there's a bar restuarant within walking distance

PAFLYBOY,

If you want to stay at a cheap cool place near one of the best bars in NCPA, try nelson run campground. You are 2 miles from the Wharton and near some great fishing in the first fork sinnemahoning, east fork sinnemahoning,and where the two meet downstream to form the sinnemahoning. You are only about 25 minutes from Cross forks and I know an easy way to get there off of route 872 just past the wharton. you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm all set for this trip. Maybe next trip...

Well, I finally made my first trip up to Potter Co. area. I stopped in Sandfly's shop and had a nice conversation with him. Thanks for all of the recommendations, Bob! I stayed at a place called Kettle Creek Adventure(I needed access to wifi, phone and breakfast!). I would highly reccommend it. It is along the flyfishing only stretch of Kettle. I did a whirlwind tour, fishing a little in Pine, Cedar, Slate, Cross Fork and, of course, Kettle. I managed a few fish out of each stream, with my best day being the evening hatch on Kettle. A wide variety of flies were hatching, culminating with the Green Drakes in the evening.

That is a wonderful area, and I can't wait to get back up someday. I would have needed about 2 weeks to fish it all properly. I'm jealous of those who are able to fish up there on a regular basis! Tight lines, all.

Don't forget the Allegheny on Rt44. There's a sign that marks where it trickles out of a farmer's field. From there it's only a short distance before you hit the Delayed harvest section. There's a big complex that used to be run by the Regis family on the left. You can pull in there and park. The Allegheny along this stretch is a challenging, extremely productive piece of water. The challenge is that it's pretty narrow, so stealth is in order. During the DHALO season it's loaded with large feisty trout.
Coughlin

Back