Post your favorite conservation quotes

"When the owl screams the hunter whizzes on his boot" Hickowie Indian

"A country's fauna is a sacred trust, and I appeal to you not to betray that trust...If we do not bestir ourselves now it will be to our discredit that the fauna of our province was exterminated in our generation, and under our very eyes, while we looked on and never raised a finger to prevent it." - Jim Corbett

Pcray:

Small clearings are also created by trees reaching maturity and falling. Or beaver dams flooding a wooded area and then receding. The only thing is that neither of those allow someone to make a profit, and take place over a longer period of time.

The basic ecosystem here has changed. Changed from a predominantly evergreen forest to a mixed deciduous forest ecosystem. That change does not mean it cannot exist without human intervention, it just means that it has changed. The "original" ecosystem all over the world was bare rock, and someone the planet filled with life without human monitoring! Its crazy, I know.

Let me try to work through this. You seem to be arguing that forest ecosystems that haven't been in place almost in perpetuity cannot live by themselves (because you don't have the stratification of differently aged trees). Then how can ANY system ever start without human monitoring? The concept of ecological succession, starting from bare rock, doesn't include human "management", and it works just fine. In many places in PA our current forests started, more or less, from bare ground succession.

Lets be honest here. Logging and clearcutting can improve the numbers of certain species, but that implies that species who use that sort of ecosystem are better than those that fill niches in unbroken woodlots. So yes, if you measure a healthy ecosystem by how many deer you have, clearcutting can be great.
I still maintain that through blow downs, mature trees dying, and especially fire, open areas occur naturally, but no one gets to line their pockets off of that.

Sonof,

Of course it will eventually get back to where it was, but it'll take an awfully long time, we're talking maybe 1000 years here. And of course it would continue to exist, it just wouldn't be as strong. If we didn't hunt, deer would continue to exist as well, in much greater numbers actually. Great for the deer, sucks for the trees and the other woodland inhabitants, as well as people.

I'm saying that, in the current situation, some well regulated logging can improve the ecosystem for almost every single inhabitant of the ecosystem, and by any measure you can come up with. We're not just talking about deer, but squirrels, chipmunks, mice, insect life, bird life (including the tweety variety as well as birds of prey and turkey). I honestly can't think of a single forest inhabitant that isn't helped by some limited logging. Perhaps fish, though for the most part the logging stays away from the stream bottoms these days. Logging, when done carefully, is simply good for the biological productivity of our forests.

I do understand the idealist "hands off" approach. We may have screwed the pooch, but let nature fix things from here. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. But if you're going to take that view, I think you have to be consistent between flora and fauna.

Logging is the quicker, profitable way for what would happen naturally to occur. You'll never convince me that its "better" for anyone but those with a stake in logging companies. I'm ok with it taking an awfully long time. I don't need to be around to see the result. The benfits of logging occur naturally, so other than the time factor, what benefit is there, other than money? Also, when a tree matures and falls, no roads need to be built back to the tree, and no taxpayer dollars need to be spent to cause that tree to fall. Same with a beaver pond that floods, then drains when the dam breaks.

I understand that not all woodlands can, or should, be preserved, but don't try and tell me that logging is better for the health of the ecosystem than what nature will do on it's own. I like to do woodworking, and I know that wood comes from a tree thats been cut down somewhere. I know that to keep any natural areas on a decent scale we need to conserve, not preserve, them but I won't pretend that logging, or drilling, is somehow environmentally preferable to letting it be.

edit: Some other thoughts:
It may seem like I'm splitting hairs here. If logging accomplishes the same thing letting nature will, and it provides a profit, then wheres the downside? The downside is that if we agree that logging is BETTER for our forests than preservation, what reason would there be not to log every inch of forest left in PA, every inch of forest left in the Eastern United States? The entire concept of preservation hinges on that idea that an ecosystem NOT used for logging or drilling is a better ecosystem than the one being used, even if the benefit isn't for many hundreds of years.

The downside is that if we agree that logging is BETTER for our forests than preservation, what reason would there be not to log every inch of forest left in PA, every inch of forest left in the Eastern United States?

Because logging IN ALL FORMS is not better for our forests, it is only better when done in moderation, in certain areas, and when well regulated. That means there needs to be rules regarding roadbuilding and maintenance, location of logging (such as not near streams and such), species and age of trees being harvested, maximum area, etc. Believe it or not, these regulations exist, and I'm not against strengthening them. Overall, the logging companies (and regulators) do a pretty good job these days on public lands, which obviously was not always the case. There is still abuse on private lands.

don't try and tell me that logging is better for the health of the ecosystem than what nature will do on it's own.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Long term (>1000 years) its a wash either way, but short term the well regulated logging route is clearly superior for the health of the ecosystem.

The entire concept of preservation hinges on that idea that an ecosystem NOT used for logging or drilling is a better ecosystem than the one being used

I couldn't disagree more. 1st, I don't think anyone could say drilling is good for the local environment. We can discuss the degree of "badness", and whether its better than the alternatives, but noone would say there is an actual benefit to the local ecosystem from the act of drilling. 2nd, the concept of preservation, for me, means ensuring that the quality of the land and water is preserved to ensure and promote recreational pursuits, whether they be hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, camping, geocaching, the Sunday Drive, etc. It is the public's land, paid for by the public for the recreational, physical, and spiritual benefit of the public. Those in power must always consider the original purpose of the land first and foremost. If those pursuits can be maintained, or even enhanced, then the land has been preserved even if it is being "used" for other purposes. It's a delicate balance for sure, and I believe there is room for debate on how to handle that balance. But I wholeheartedly reject the two extremes, the all or none doctrine that you seem to be stuck on.

I’m glad this post opened discussion.
Here is a quote from Frances Cairndross’s book Costing the Earth: The Challenge for Governments, the Opportunities for Business (1992)
"The challenge for government and for environmentalists is to spot ways of creating the right incentives so that industry finds it profitable to be clean and unprofitable to be dirty."

Paraphrases of things said by Aldo Leopold: don't have my copy of Sand County Almanac in my back pocket as per ususal.

We abuse the land because we see it as a commodity that belongs to us; when we become part of the community that includes the land in its membership, we may then begin to use it as it ought to tbe used.

But,

Just as we will never achieve justice and liberty for all people, we will never achieve harmony with the land; however, it is important that we try.

"Defenders of the short-sighted men who in their greed and selfishness will, if permitted, rob our country of half its charm by their reckless extermination of all useful and beautiful wild things sometimes seek to champion them by saying the 'the game belongs to the people.' So it does; and not merely to the people now alive, but to the unborn people. The 'greatest good for the greatest number' applies to the number within the womb of time, compared to which those now alive form but an insignificant fraction. Our duty to the whole, including the unborn generations, bids us restrain an unprincipled present-day minority from wasting the heritage of these unborn generations. The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose, and method."

Theodore Roosevelt

I have no favorites because most of them tend to be nothing other than talking heads twisting facts and reality to fit their desires and needs.

What spoils streams are those too lazy to pick up after themselves. Those who cross a no trespassing sign without asking the property owner, messing it up for those who were given permission to cross and fish. Those who feel they need to stomp down a major path wrecking every bit of mother nature along the way. And property owners who feel they need to have mowed lawn right up to the water line.

Yes, I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please. But I'm also in charge of the brown Bar-ba-loots, who played in the shade in their Bar-ba-loot suits and happily lived eating truffula fruits. Now, thanks to your hacking my trees to the ground, there's not enough truffula fruit to go 'round!

I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!

-- Dr. Suess, The Lorax

"Even though a spilled beer will return to the watershed and cause little harm, it still seems like such a waste."

-- Jack M.

"closed for the season, reason freezin".

yea-who wrote:
"closed for the season, reason freezin".

We are following each other around Yea-who. Thats another favorite of mine...from a trailer sign at a farmers market on Route 20 in Erie....IIRC between Fairview and Girard.

I've seen it in two places. Both in The wyoming Valley. On a church outdoor bathroom signed at the bottom by the priest and the other on the sewer auth. building atop the Butler Mine tunnel.

the fish you release is your gift to another angler, and the fish you caught might have been the gift of another angler to you-Lee Wullf

Steelerfan,

I was checking out your forum for your TU. Very nice pics and a great idea! Have any other TUs considered making forums for their chapter?

What a great way to keep in touch and discuss ideas and projects. It is like a 24/7 meeting. Nice work!

I enjoyed the stocking pics btw! Good to see so many kids get involved.

Thanks for checking out the site. The pics were of my daughters girl scout troop. I was hoping that the forum would have taken off better, but it hasn't. The reason it is still up is due to the fact that it is free. The website is the first one I have ever built. I don't think that a lot of my members spend a lot of time online and on forums. Most are older guys.

Back