Pool noodles

jifigz

jifigz

Today, as I floated around on a noodle in my aunt's pool, I had an epiphany: pool noodles could be EXCELLENT tying material. I typically use craft foam from Walmart, and I like it well enough. That foam is vastly different than pool noodles, however. Pool noodle foam is very light and airy and floats really well.

Who has tied with pool noodle before? I'm going to destroy one and attempt to use it at the vise.

Just make sure it is fished on bamboo. Could become a classic.

I messed with them, but didn't particularly like the material. It's hard to shape and tough to make a cup face. You're really limited to punching out cylinders. I can do a lot more with 3 mm and 6 mm craft foam.

Alright. I guess yinz fellers changed my mind on that. I guess....

Dear jifigz,

But if you are like me and wade like a clumsy water buffalo, a piece of bright orange or viral green pool noodle taped to your fly rod above the grip might make it easier to recover should you fall. Just sayin'.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

236 pool noodle

hard to tie down without cutting with thread. Not worth it IMO

I'm not advocating pool noodles as a fly tying material nor have I ever tried it, however I use a lot of foam in tying and I always use 3/0 unbonded thread (think Gudebrod or Danville Flymaster) to tie in and tie off my foam.

Unbonded thread lies flatter & wider and the heavier size helps even more to prevent the thread from cutting the foam.

Back