Pontoon Drift Boat for family of 4?

G

gibsygoldtop

Hello all,
We are kicking around the idea of getting a pontoon drift boat, but we are a family of 4. Most boats look like they are 3 person. We have two kids, 5 and 9. What is everyone using for a boat this style that accommodates a family?

It looks like the Stealthcraft Hooligan XL can get 2 seats up front. Any other options?

Thanks!

You won't want 3 casting at once. Put your angler in the front and put the other 2 in the back, maybe sitting on a cooler instead of a regular seat. I would think most pontoons or rafts could be configured this way with a little ingenuity.

I've been fishing out my buddy's boat for a year: Stealth Raft

His is the 16' model.

Benefits:

It is super stable (rated for Class IV?) and drafts very shallow. Three men have stood on one side of the walking platforms are over the pontoons and the boat didn't budge!

Transom mounts on both ends.

Plenty of room to stand on the deck and good walk around room over the pontoons. The walkaround deck has a high traction textured surface that works extremely well. It's so spiky, it hurts to kneel on it. It's nice to be able to stand up high for sight fishing, though.

Roomy. My buddy has had 5+ adults and kids in it with no issues, not that I suggest doing that.

The drag anchor and pulleys work well.

It has an interesting tilt trailer that makes launching and taking out fairly easy.

The deck is above the waterline and can serve as a jon boat in the unlikely event of a catastrophic inflation failure.

It looks really strange (attention-getter).

Drawbacks:

It's double the weight of the pontoon you linked. This is mainly an issue when you run aground on 1" deep riffles or launching in very low water at an unimproved site. You will not carry it or drag it in anywhere.

I hate the rod holders. They put PVC tube recessed in the walkaround deck. The tubes are much too small. I think they did this to get storage for 6 rods. The problem is you have to bend the rods with the guides facing in to get the rods in the tubes. This scratches the crap out of the finish in the guide wraps.

You will likely not be able to float smaller flowing water. in NEPA, we are limited to the upper Delaware, West Branch Susquehanna, and Lehigh.

It can be a challenge to track in wind or with a motor, but it's manageable.

It's more expensive that the pontoon you are looking at.

He and I debated this purchase for at least a year. He is limited to boat fishing for medical reasons. I think we agree it was a good decision. The only regret is it's heavy. The deck unstraps from the pontoons so you could, in theory, build a frame like the one on the boat you are looking at. That would take 30% of the weight off and make it convertible....in theory.

I don’t know anything about that Stealth Holligan raft, but it looks a bit narrow relative to its length to me from the pictures, which would make it more susceptible to tipping over in some conditions.

If you’re interested in getting a raft, I’d probably look at getting one from one of the more established companies, and I’m sure their rafts could be sized and outfitted to handle 4 people. Also, before investing in any watercraft, whether it be a raft, a pontoon, a drift boat, or something other, spend some time thinking about where you plan to use it, and how you’ll be using it, before getting something that won’t meet your needs. Also, put a lot of thought into how you’ll keep your young children safe in that boat you’ll be getting. (Don’t get a boat - see my comments on the Holligan - that might tip over more easily, or don’t get an inflatable boat, for example, that is cheaply constructed.)

NRS has a number of different models and sizes of rafts. Outcast is an excellent company and also has a couple model rafts that could accommodate your family. If cost is not a major consideration, I’d personally look at StreamTech or Sotar. Both of them can be customized to give you a boat that will last for many years.

Please pay attention to the capacity plate on any boat you consider. The person limitations are critical. Even if your passenger & gear weight stays under the maximum rating the person count is also a hard limit. In many states exceeding the capacity plate limitations is a misdemeanor offense. The craft mentioned above is a 3 person craft. Don't tempt fate -- officers have no humor when it comes to negligent ops offenses.

gibsygoldtop wrote:
Hello all,
We are kicking around the idea of getting a pontoon drift boat, but we are a family of 4. Most boats look like they are 3 person. We have two kids, 5 and 9. What is everyone using for a boat this style that accommodates a family?

It looks like the Stealthcraft Hooligan XL can get 2 seats up front. Any other options?

Thanks!

I have some experience fishing out of rafts similar to the Stealthcraft, albeit slightly smaller. Specifically, SmithFly rafts. Ideally, these are two man setups. Yes you could get a third passenger on a back seat, but really the best set up is an angler in the front, a guy rowing, and all the gear in the back of the raft. If you have good anglers with experience fishing from a boat, or are only using the boat as transportation, 3 people could work. I would not want two adults and two kids in this sort of craft, particularly if you are also trying to carry a cooler, fishing gear etc.

With that in mind, these sort of rafts are very good fly fishing boats for a lot of waters and would love to have one for here in PA. You can use them on smaller waters than you would with hard bottomed boats, and they still do well on larger rivers too. It's just the prices are too high and used fishing rafts of this sort are rare in this area of the country.

So, if you want a slick fishing rig, these are pretty cool. if you want a family boat/raft thing. Eh. I dunno about that. If you do it and it doesn't work, PM me and make me an offer....

Back