Poe Paddy Spring Trip Advice...

Penns Creek can be one of the most overcrowded streams during the months of April, May, and June. Whenever the bugs are going and the shops are posting stream reports daily. I'll sit at my friend's camp below Poe Paddy and often watch a dozen people come fish the same run during a morning. The fish are still there, and they will feed, but they feel the pressure and you likely need to adjust tactics accordingly.

Funny thing are the fisherman can be just as predictable as the fish. Last May I knew we were about to get a brief 30 minute afternoon soaker and some drizzle for an hour or two afterwards, so I packed a rain jacket and hiked down a mile into some nice water. The rain started soon after I arrived, and every fisherman disappeared. Seemingly they all came unprepared and had to make the long walk back to their cars. The next two hours in the overcast/drizzle were great fishing and fish were in every lane. It wasn't until the sun burned through the clouds that fisherman returned and the fishing slowed.

I went to college where a quick trip to Penns Creek was never out of the question. I miss those sessions as I'd often be the only one on the stream. Those are special times.

Enjoy, it is a beautiful stream. There much more to the experience than the fishing for many of us.

If you cant get a spot at Poe Paddy, the Union County Sportsman's Club has RV/camper sites for members. Membership costs $25 per year. Its on the other side of the tunnel. The club to the FC parking lot is less than 5 miles.

Penns Creek can be one of the most overcrowded streams during the months of April, May, and June. Whenever the bugs are going and the shops are posting stream reports daily. I'll sit at my friend's camp below Poe Paddy and often watch a dozen people come fish the same run during a morning. The fish are still there, and they will feed, but they feel the pressure and you likely need to adjust tactics accordingly.

Funny thing are the fisherman can be just as predictable as the fish. Last May I knew we were about to get a brief 30 minute afternoon soaker and some drizzle for an hour or two afterwards, so I packed a rain jacket and hiked down a mile into some nice water. The rain started soon after I arrived, and every fisherman disappeared. Seemingly they all came unprepared and had to make the long walk back to their cars. The next two hours in the overcast/drizzle were great fishing and fish were in every lane. It wasn't until the sun burned through the clouds that fisherman returned and the fishing slowed.

I went to college where a quick trip to Penns Creek was never out of the question. I miss those sessions as I'd often be the only one on the stream. Those are special times.

Enjoy, it is a beautiful stream. There much more to the experience than the fishing for many of us.
Is that the cabin by Swift Run? Not sure if I have waded more challenging water than that section. My knees and achilles hurt just thinking about it.

Most overcrowded streams is a stretch. more people yes but there is always a place to fish. I make 2 trips up thru April/May almost every year. it's gotten busier over the 15 or so years I've been fishing it but now we just have to walk a bit further to find a stretch with no one in sight.

Most overcrowded streams is a stretch. more people yes but there is always a place to fish. I make 2 trips up thru April/May almost every year. it's gotten busier over the 15 or so years I've been fishing it but now we just have to walk a bit further to find a stretch with no one in sight.
Last year with the low water was especially rough with everything being easily wadeable. Here’s hoping she blows out more this year during prime hatch season to keep the casuals away (and for fish health of course 😉)

If you cant get a spot at Poe Paddy, the Union County Sportsman's Club has RV/camper sites for members. Membership costs $25 per year. Its on the other side of the tunnel. The club to the FC parking lot is less than 5 miles.

😃 Good suggestion.

However, for somebody who’s not familiar with the area, it bears mentioning that ”it’s on the other side of the tunnel“ is also on the other side of a couple mountains, and 30+ miles distance and a 1 hour drive by motor vehicle from Poe Paddy.

😃 Good suggestion.

However, for somebody who’s not familiar with the area, it bears mentioning that ”it’s on the other side of the tunnel“ is also on the other side of a couple mountains, and 30+ miles distance and a 1 hour drive by motor vehicle from Poe Paddy.

Good points, but it's also a short drive to the cherry run parking lot.

I’ve recently booked a spot at Poe Paddy for a long weekend the first week of May. Also coming up from SE PA (Reading). Gonna be my first solo camping/fishing weekend. Pretty excited! Looking forward to hitting the feathered hook Friday morning, setting up camp and then fishing my *** off all weekend. Im not gonna worry about crowds I do plentyyyy of fishing in solitude. Im just looking for the whole spring in PA trout experience on this trip. I may revisit this or start a new thread closer to my trip with some questions I may have. 😁

I’ve recently booked a spot at Poe Paddy for a long weekend the first week of May. Also coming up from SE PA (Reading). Gonna be my first solo camping/fishing weekend. Pretty excited! Looking forward to hitting the feathered hook Friday morning, setting up camp and then fishing my *** off all weekend. Im not gonna worry about crowds I do plentyyyy of fishing in solitude. Im just looking for the whole spring in PA trout experience on this trip. I may revisit this or start a new thread closer to my trip with some questions I may have. 😁
First time?

Awesome Penns is one of my favorites. Its just a hair outside of a day trip for me so I don't fish it often.

Just a heads up.......Jonah at the Feathered Hook is a different kind of cat. I think he is hilarious but if you are easily offended he can rub you the wrong way.

The more you play along with him busting your balls, the less he will make fun of you when you leave.

Awesome Penns is one of my favorites. Its just a hair outside of a day trip for me so I don't fish it often.

Just a heads up.......Jonah at the Feathered Hook is a different kind of cat. I think he is hilarious but if you are easily offended he can rub you the wrong way.

The more you play along with him busting your balls, the less he will make fun of you when you leave.
I believe he was on the wet fly swing podcast. He made that publicly known on the podcast haha.

I believe he was on the wet fly swing podcast. He made that publicly known on the podcast haha.
Oh that's great I didn't know he was on a podcast I will look for it.

He is great with giving you the low down on Penns though. Tell him it's your first time and ask him for a map and he will go over everything.

Yes, I should have specified I meant short drive TO the Cherry Run parking lot and the stretch of Penns to the east of the tunnel.

Its a 40-45 minute walk to the tunnel from the parking lot.

Another alternative for the hardy camper is the DCNR sites on Old Minlge Road and walk down to the creek from there.

Thank you all. I have a reservation for Poe Paddy for 25ft airstream. Would you recommend I change to the Poe Vally instead? The comments reference the last few miles being tough. Is there s significant difference?

Thank you all. I have a reservation for Poe Paddy for 25ft airstream. Would you recommend I change to the Poe Vally instead? The comments reference the last few miles being tough. Is there s significant difference?
Its rough but not like a dealbreaker rough. If you are going for the fishing then you want to be in poe paddy.

Just take your time. You wont be the biggest camper rolling in, that I can assure you.

Plenty of people haul campers down. Just make sure the site you have reserved can fit a trailer that size. Many of the sites can not.

As previously recommended, assuming you take the Sand Mountain Road you’ll be okay. Then, I’d say whether you stay in Poe Paddy or Poe Valley would depend on the site you have reserved at Poe Paddy. As I said previously, some of the Poe Paddy sites are not suitable for a 25’ trailer.

Its rough but not like a dealbreaker rough. If you are going for the fishing then you want to be in poe paddy.

Just take your time. You wont be the biggest camper rolling in, that I can assure you.

you beat me to this. we travel those areas often in nice weather and I am shocked by the size of some campers.

Back