Pocono brookie camping/fishing

J

Jread

Just started seriously fly fishing within the past year. Im looking to take a trip to the northeast/pocono area in search for good brookie streams. Hoping for a little insight as to where are some good places to camp and hike to locations a little? Just some general areas. Also about the scenery.

You might want to pick a campground first then look for nearby streams. There are a bunch within a half an hour of Mt Pocono or Stroudsburg.

Tobyhanna State Park has camping and there are 4 brookie streams I can think of off the top of my head within about 30 minutes.

There is also Hickory Run at the other end of the Poconos(closer to you) and dozens of private campgrounds.

You are better off going to north central PA if you want to back country camp and fish. If you are going to try this in the poconos, check the Thunder Swamp Trail or the Pinchot Trail. Both
have back country campsites on creeks with trout. But, they aren't nearly as good as what you will find ind in north central pa. PM me if you want specifics on either locations.

Thanks for the insight, i think i have a trip coming together.

+1 for Cathy's idea. 2 good places to start are Hickory Run SP or Promised Land SP have access to nearby streams and very nice camping though during the summer mouths they get very crowded on weekends. The are a bunch of other private C.G's. in the Poconos, that also have streams nearby.
Dingman's CG is along the Delaware and all those streams that enter the Delaware are on the wild trout lists and on public land. Probably the stream that gets the most use is Tom's Creek, so on a weekend I wouldn't go there. The others are a fun experience.
If you want to know more PM me.

You can't go wrong with Hickory Run. Lots of good streams in the area and a nice campground. Scenery is awesome. Lots of great hiking/biking trails in the park and the gorge.

could you please pass some of the spots you would recommend around those campsites or other you find favorable.

Back