Pine Creek at Cedar Run

Any recommendations on those mobile mapping apps?

foureyedgeek wrote:
Any recommendations on those mobile mapping apps?

I probably should have been thoughtful and included them in my response.

For the iOS, try Galileo. I haven't used it much, because I do not have an iPhone but do have a work-issued iPad Mini, so I've been mostly just trying it because I can and to broaden my platform horizons. A tablet is still a bit impractical for me to carry on the stream.

For Android, I like OruxMaps as the mobile app. For cropping and building map datasets for offline usage, I like:

OkMap and Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC).

Those PC applications will let you do a lot more with geographical info, like edit waypoints or tracks, etc. I usually log my hiking/fishing marches, but sometimes forget to disable the GPS tracking until I'm a mile up the road. Those applications let me delete the errant data.

Unfortunately, some of the map dataset providers have issued cease and desist letters to mobile app authors using their data, so some of the more popular sources aren't available by default. You can find posts on forums or old config files that have the data you need to enable them, but you do so at your own risk. Fortunately, the USGS data is available to the public.

I'll take a look, thanks.

Be sure and file a report. is the Blackwell Hotel (second version) still open? You can have an $11 expertly made martini in the middle of nowhere.

Back