Pine Creek at Cedar Run

I forgot tomention, Pettecoat Junction Campgroud has excellent facilities and it right on the creek. And the mornings and evenings are especially great because of the wildlife.

I bought a Delorme atlas a few weeks ago and must say I'm quite unimpressed. The scale and labeling is horrendous! Where can I get a better map of the area around Cedar Run/Slate Run? USGS maps were always a favorite of mine, but I'm unsure where to get some.

Slate Run Fly Shop has good, detailed maps of that area and they are reasonably priced.

Nice! I'll hold off till I'm there then. Thanks!

It's also possible in your area to find a store like Yoas Services in Williamsport. They primarily operate as a copy/scan/print for large volume and large size paper materials but they also have a fantastic USGS map service and the cost to have a map made of the area or blown up and laminated of a specific locale is relatively inexpensive and beats carrying around a huge map that could get wet and ruined.

You can't beat the FREE State Forest maps the state puts out.
You can get hard copies at most general stores in the area or go to these links.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/D_000881.pdf

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/D_000877.pdf

I carry DCNR maps here free too.

You can download U.S. Geo. Survey topo maps for free at libremap.org. When you get to the website click on "data" then the state, then "TIFF." You can save the map on your computer or save it onto a flash drive and take it to a print shop where they can print you a full size topo map for a couple bucks.

Another alternative is mapper.acme.com.

cheers!

The state forest maps are free and very useful, as Brad said.

You can simply Google the phone number for the state forest(s) you are interested in, call them, and they will send you the map.

The Tiadaghton State Forest office had maps for several other state forests in NC PA, so you could ask them if they could send you those also.

In addition to the regular state forest maps, which they call "public use maps," they also have some good trail maps, which are larger scale maps than the regular state forest maps.

If you can get an older version they are better from an anglers perspective. I think the changes they made in the latest version were more for travels the the hunting and angling communities.

You don't want to stop in McConnell's Country Store Fly Shop for info. I work there part-time and when I'm there you could say that there isn't any degree of fly-fishing/where-to-go knowledge in the shop with me there...;-)

I'm glad the subject of the delorme maps came up - absolute rubbish IMHO, just not enough detail and not that accurate.

I've had trouble in western mass and Maine with those.

I can only think they are designed to confuse the Russians should ever invade.

I definitely wouldn't rely on them for hiking etc

echuck66 wrote:
I'm curious how one would cast that jig head on a fly rod... seems like the weight might be too much and that you'd just end up snagging rocks.

I have a friend that tried fishing small senko's on a fly rod this summer too. Much the same effect... very poor casting because of the weight.
It's not much different than casting a weight woolly bugger. The fly acts differently in the water.

geebee wrote:
I'm glad the subject of the delorme maps came up - absolute rubbish IMHO, just not enough detail and not that accurate.

I've had trouble in western mass and Maine with those.

I can only think they are designed to confuse the Russians should ever invade.

I definitely wouldn't rely on them for hiking etc
The older versions of the DeLorme are better as far as angler use goes. The newer ones I think they had the idea that they'd make them easier for motorists to use, but I don't see it.

I fish Pine Creek often but haven't been up yet this year. The reports I'm getting are that conditions are dangerous and fishing is discouraged right now. Large chunks of ice floating downstream are hazardous. Call the Slate Run tackle shop. Tom, Dave, or Jed will give you the latest. Temperatures are quite cold.

water is high, temps are low, and we are getting light snow. this area does not start to end of april.

Slate Run Fly Shop has good, detailed maps of that area and they are reasonably priced.

I stopped by Slate Run a few times while I was there. The maps you speak of, I believe, are no longer printed (guy who made the map died and left the rights to the map with some organization that wants way too much money for the rights to print and sell the map). The USGS maps (quadrangles) are no longer sold at Slate Run due to the fact the everyone is using tablets and other electronic devices... which seems odd since there's absolutely no cell phone reception in that area (spotty isn't even a description of the cell service in the area, but I'm not complaining as I enjoyed a week with no phone calls)

should have stopped here I have maps and can print maps..

echuck66 wrote:

I stopped by Slate Run a few times while I was there. The maps you speak of, I believe, are no longer printed (guy who made the map died and left the rights to the map with some organization that wants way too much money for the rights to print and sell the map). The USGS maps (quadrangles) are no longer sold at Slate Run due to the fact the everyone is using tablets and other electronic devices... which seems odd since there's absolutely no cell phone reception in that area (spotty isn't even a description of the cell service in the area, but I'm not complaining as I enjoyed a week with no phone calls)

Is this the map you wanted? The State Forest map is much better for getting around in the area. They didn't have any of them?

14045883052_5caa3031d4_b.jpg

I thought the shop in Waterville still had some. Old Lefty should know.

echuck66 wrote:

Offline mode works quite well in a number of mobile mapping applications. I can crop and preload multiple zoom levels of the USGS topo maps for whatever region I am going to be in. Works like a charm. No cell signal required. GPS still works in airplane mode, so you can locate yourself on the nice shiny electronic topo you are carrying.

Back