Philly Area Fly Tying

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

I was thinking about setting up a monthly or bi-monthly Philly area Fly Tying Night. We would simply go out to a local diner or coffee shop and tie and instruct on a fly the group decides on. I'll volunteer to start off being the tyer/instructor for the first meeting and we can decide at that meeting who will take the next meeting and vote on the fly we'd like to see tied.

This is by no means limited to Philly area guys and anyone is welcome.

Let me know your interest and I'll look for a place and date. Also let me know the fly you'd like to see tied and we'll take the fly that gets the most votes. And no, I will not show you a size 32 Royal Coachman! :-o

how about size 28 articulated trico? :)

If it's a little north, like Plymouth Meeting or Fort Washington, I'd be in.

dubthethorax wrote:

There's always one! :roll:

Sounds like fun. I'll give it a try.

Charlie

Foxgap239 wrote:
I was thinking about setting up a monthly or bi-monthly Philly area Fly Tying Night. We would simply go out to a local diner or coffee shop and tie and instruct on a fly the group decides on. I'll volunteer to start off being the tyer/instructor for the first meeting and we can decide at that meeting who will take the next meeting and vote on the fly we'd like to see tied.

This is by no means limited to Philly area guys and anyone is welcome.

Let me know your interest and I'll look for a place and date. Also let me know the fly you'd like to see tied and we'll take the fly that gets the most votes. And no, I will not show you a size 32 Royal Coachman!

dubthethorax wrote:

If it's a little north, like Plymouth Meeting or Fort Washington, I'd be in.

Fox & Dub, if you'd like, you guys can tie at the Orvis shop in Plymouth Meeting. PM me. (and Capone's is only a double-haul distance down the road) ;-)

afishinado wrote:
Fox & Dub, if you'd like, you guys can tie at the Orvis shop in Plymouth Meeting. PM me. (and Capone's is only a double-haul distance down the road) ;-)

Many thanks for the offer. I'm game if the Philly guys are willing to travel up that way. It will give me "another" excuse to fish out that way. PM coming.

what about Main Line Flytyers im not sure where they meet but i know its near Philly.

I used to be their treasuer and they are a great group of guys. I think they meet now at the Schukill Valley nature center. My idea was just an informal get together where we go over specific tying techniques and form a comradarie around something we all love to do.

I live right across from the mall. I'd stop in if i can get the kids to bed.

Main Line Fly Tyers rent a room for monthly meetings at the Greater Plymouth Community Center, on the corner of Jolly Road and Germantown Pike. It's about 5 minutes from the Plymouth Meeting Mall.

afishinado wrote:
Main Line Fly Tyers rent a room for monthly meetings at the Greater Plymouth Community Center, on the corner of Jolly Road and Germantown Pike. It's about 5 minutes from the Plymouth Meeting Mall.

I did not know they moved again. Jeez, i have to keep up better.

I am the current vp for the main line fly tyers and we meet the third Thursday of every month but not to tie. There are a few groups that tie, one meeting at Frank's fly shoppe which is in Elkins park

i would love to be included.

a center city meetup would be fun too!

it might be fun to be separate from the main line tyers ,and criss cross with them from time to time.their a pretty good lot,those that i've met.

would definitely be interested in meeting up.

i'll vote for the city as well; but my work schedule will be easing up soon too, so I'll be flexible with locations.

Aw, c'mon guys. This isn't fair :-(

Foxgap239 wrote:
And no, I will not show you a size 32 Royal Coachman! :-o

Why not. To big for you?

I'm in...

blueheron wrote:
There are a few groups that tie, one meeting at Frank's fly shoppe which is in Elkins park

Where in Elkin's park? Can't seem to find it...

The current owners name is George Orlowitz and the shop is in his office, I will find his number and post it. Chris

im game. this is everyone brings a vice and some tying stuff right? elkens park is kinda between philly and cheltenham. its probably the cheltenham side, and i never knew there was a fly shop there.

Is George the guy that bought Frank Theobald's business?

Back