Pheasant Tail Nymph Question

R

reelinron

I tied some PTN patterns for my use. The more I look on the internet the more I see so many versions of PT patterns. I tied size 16. I'm starting to wonder if all the slight differences are significant or should I try some other sizes and sick to one basic pattern? Is a size 14 or 18 gonna make or break the deal? Thoughts, Ron

reelinron wrote:
I tied some PTN patterns for my use. The more I look on the internet the more I see so many versions of PT patterns. I tied size 16. I'm starting to wonder if all the slight differences are significant or should I try some other sizes and sick to one basic pattern? Is a size 14 or 18 gonna make or break the deal? Thoughts, Ron

Slight differences in patterns are most times insignificant, while size often matters. So I would tie the same PT patterns in a few sizes rather than tying the same size fly with a slight variation, and 14,16,and 18 are some of the most useful sizes to tie and fish PTs.

Good luck.

I've tied them down to size 20 in a soft hackle version. I think I've caught more fish on that size than on the larger sizes. I've also tie them in size 12 and 10 but mainly use that size for pan fish.

I tie and use them in various sizes. But if I had to choose just 1 size it would be a 16.

GenCon

My most two common sized are 12 and 14. If a 12 isn't working a 14 surely will.

I tie/use 2 versions:
Bead Head Flashback with a peacock thorax (usually my go-to)
and
All pheasant tail (if the fish are finicky this seems to be a "all natural" version)

One thing I make sure they have anymore (that I didn't think was a big deal years ago, but do now)...legs.

The pheasant tail nymph may be the one fly that I use the most. I tie mine from size 12 down to 18 and the size I use the most is 16. I keep all of them basically the same but like to experiment with variations sometimes. A couple of years ago I tried A few tied with orange thread so when I finish it off it gives it an orange head. From what I see I think i actually catch more with the orange head. One of the things I enjoy about tying is experimentation, try something A little different and give it A shot.

Size is more important than pattern variation.
Size is also dependent on the stream your fishing.
Tie em from 18 to 12, beaded and non beaded to start out with.

Thanks Guys! I will add some other sizes. Right now I have nothing but time so what the heck!

Ron

One of the biggest trout I have caught and the biggest I have ever seen caught (excluding steelhead) have come on smaller nymphs, so don't be afraid to tie the smaller sizes suggested.

One thing that would be nice for beginners is if we specify the hook styles. Some say 12-14 others 14-18, which could be dizzying to those starting out. The hook size may change, but the actual size of the pattern could be the same. a 12 on a curved short scud hook could be the same as a size 16 on a 2XL long hook etc.
I prefer to tie on 2XL hooks and tie sizes 14-18 PT. Most of mine have beads. For size 20-22 I tie thread body nymphs rather than PT.

Well I bought some #18 3x wide 2x short curved and I don't think I can do much except peasant tail tail, and thread body. Maybe a peacock body with some practice.

reelinron wrote:
Well I bought some #18 3x wide 2x short curved and I don't think I can do much except peasant tail tail, and thread body. Maybe a peacock body with some practice.

With that style hook, I would be looking at simple scud patterns, and walts worms or sexy walts. Those willl also work for various midge patterns.

I use that style mainly for midge patterns. Basically you're tying on the equivalent of size 22 standard dry fly shank. You could sorta tie a PT nymph. Pick 3 of the smallest PT fibers. Tie them in at the back of the hook using the tips for the tail, bring your thread forward, wrap the fibers forward for the body, wrap them down, trim the extra, build a small, whip finish. There is wire thin enough, peacock herl small enough and beads small enough that you could actually tie a PT Nymph, without a wing case and legs. You just need a lot of patience.

I got around to tying a couple PT nymphs, one on Size 18 TMC 2488
and one on a Size 18 TMC 101. Definitely easier to tie on straight shank hook.

Attachments

• P2060124 (2).JPG
    P2060124 (2).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 10
Largest trout to hand, 20" on a size 16 "traditional" (as shown above) PT nymph. Do well on small streams with size 18 - 20s traditional PT.

Back