PFBC Meeting

I've had a couple PM's and email's about what is the best way to write a letter to the PFBC about issues that concern them. Just sharing some of my thoughts on writing a letter:

Do
• Keep it professional
• Use a computer word processor to compose the letter and print
• Be clear on what your topic is about and why you are writing
• Be clear on what you want to happen or don't want to happen
• Explain your reasons and why you think it is important
• You can add a personal interest of why you are writing and what it means to you
• Thank them for their time
• Include you name and contact information
• Use spelling and a gammer checker
• Sign your letter
• Mail it

Don't
• Make too personal
• Don't hand write the letter
• Go off on a rant
• Suggest unreasonable demands or actions
• Be mean or use offensive language
• Name call people or organizations
• Threaten for any reason about anything to anyone
• Don't fax or email

The DHALO Regulation Changes Issues (as seen by some here)
• Reduces the overall fishing opportunity
• Bait fishing has a higher mortality rate
• Earlier harvest reduces opportunity to fish
• Prime fishing is May into June...early harvest conflict
• Proposed changes
• New fishing opportunities for some should not come at the expense of others
• Create new opportunities
• DHALO is very successful and like it the way it is today
• Add your own!

Here is how I started of my letter:

February 9, 2015

Mr. John Arway
Executive Director
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
P.O. Box 67000
Harrisburg, PA 17106-7000

RE: Proposed Changes by the PFBC on Delayed Harvest Regulations

Dear Mr. Arway,

We both can agree on how important fishing opportunities are for anglers in the state of Pennsylvania. Conservation, stream access, stocking, clean water, regulations and management are important for everyone who enjoys fishing in the Commonwealth.

I then made my points why I didn't the think proposed changes are a good direction and why I feel it was something I did't want to see the PFBC change.

Guess I shouldn't start my letter with,
Dear Mr. Blowhard,
I am writing to express my concerns about ..........
Just kidding Dave

It wasn't too hard. I still had the file for the letter from the last time we had to fight to keep your DHALO from getting messed up. Five minutes worth of changes... ...if that.

I chose to hand write my letter. Lots of people say hand-written letters are more meaningful, and I agree.......so that's what I did. With that said I typed up the majority of it first, used spell check, revised it multiple times, etc. before I took the time to sit down and write it out(Neatly!!! No use if it's not legible). I made mine a little personal, but that's mostly because DHALO's played a huge role in my fly fishing learning curve, and I still fish those same sections. If it wasn't for DHALO's who knows where I'll be today.

Looking back at it now I think it may have been a little long.......probably should've made it shorter and to the point, but that's what the 60-day public commenting period is for as well. Hopefully the fact that I put a lot of effort into it means something to Mr. Arway. Maybe, maybe not.

I also included stuff about Class A's. Probably not a good idea to talk about that as well in this specific letter. Idk..

does anyone know if letters sent to PFBC outside of he Public Comment period actually "count"?

Let's say that after the public comment period the PFBC talleys up the comments and comes up with 500 against and 350 for. are the letters being sent now(outside the comment period) counted in that tally.

hate to see a lot of wasted effort.

sjangler,

I though this was a good question and reached out to the Press Office at the PFBC.

Q: "Hope to get some clarification regarding public comments for proposed rule-making. If letters and comments are sent to the PFBC prior to the public comment period, does the PFBC recognize and take those comments into consideration for the proposed rule-making decision?"

A: "Yes, we will accept the comments and include them in the public comment file that is provided to commissioners and PFBC staff." - Press Office PFBC

Dave

annual report to the House Game and Fisheries Committee

HARRISBURG, Pa. (March 2) – Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Executive Director John Arway will present the agency’s annual report to the House Game and Fisheries Committee on Wednesday, March 4, at 9 a.m. in Room B-31 of the main Capitol Building.

During his testimony, Director Arway will highlight the agency’s accomplishments during 2014 and discuss priorities for 2015.

The meeting is open to the public.

It also will be broadcast live by Pennsylvania Cable Network (PCN). Viewers can tune in at https://pcntv.com/watch-now or watch it on the PCN station in their area. Check the PCN website for a list of TV stations: https://pcntv.com/in-your-area/channel-designations/.

It would be great if questions were asked. My Rep is on the committee and hope he asks the questions I wrote him.

The comment period is now officially open for the proposed Amendments to Chapter 65.6, Title 58, Part II. These are the changes to the DHALO that the PFBC wants to make with allowing baiting fishing and other very unpopular changes.

The official comment period is from March 14, 2015 - May 13, 2014. I am very much opposed to this proposal, so is the Pennsylvania TU and 89% of the members on this site. Please let the PFBC know you are opposed to the changes with a letter or online here.

Mine is in and I suggest everyone do the same.
This proposal is total BS.

Though I wouldn't say it just like that in your comment ;)

I too sent my letter to the PFBC. Along with similar letters to my representatives. Even got a reply from one of them.

Don't miss your chance to be heard.

I just sent a letter as well. A very worthy cause to make your voice heard.

I submitted an online comment. My words:

I am opposed to the changes in the DHALO rules proposed by the fish and boat commission. While I understand the changes proposed, I do not understand the purpose of the changes. I believe there are AMPLE opportunities for bait fishermen to harvest fish, but FEW opportunities for someone like me to practice catch and release without being looked at by other fishermen like I am crazy. I enjoy the DHALO sections of my local stocked fisheries including the Loyalhanna, Indian creek, Laurel hill creek, Chest creek and buffalo creek and changes to the DHALO section regulations may affect my willingness to pay to fish in this state in the future.

I hope this does not fall on deaf ears.....

I wish all of you good luck on changing their bullet point presentation. They usualy list the topics of the meeting and rarely open the floor for other hot buttons. Stick to you issues and be clear, concise and watch them squirm. Dont forget to bring up the dahlo /baiter ideas they have concocted.

I sent my comments through to the PFBC. My comments were concise and in total opposition to their proposed changes for the DHALO regulated streams.

sent

Sent today...did you send yours???

I sent mine in Ron...boy it must be important to bring you outta the woodwork!

Here is what I wrote as a summary of my view of the proposal and its implications.

Dear PF&BC Commissioners and Staff,

I am 100% against every item of change regarding the DHALO proposal to move up the harvest date, open the harvest to bait, and to allow children to use bait prior to the harvest period as well as lowering the size limit to 7”

DHALO areas are a wonderful program as stated numerous times by your commissioners and staff over the years. They provide a conserved resource for an extended period over the course of the spring trout season. In addition they often hold fish over the summer and provide for fall fishing using the proper equipment.

Many of the users of DHALO areas are fly fishermen and as you know May and early June is the super bowl of hatches in the state. The current regulation provides adequate balance of allowing the users to enjoy the resource through the hatch period while still allowing harvest should anglers choose to do so using artificial lures. Moving up the harvest date would interfere with this opportunity to enjoy fishing over rising fish.

I understand the strategy to harvest or "utilize" these fish before the potential for seasonal thermal stress kills them but please consider that while under the C&R period these fish have been utilized numerous times by multiple anglers. Isn't this the a more cost efficient utilization than a once and done kill. And consider that many DHALO areas have reasonable holdover rates during typical summers.

Allowing bait during the season with youngsters and with adults afterward will increase incidental mortality and reduce fish numbers throughout the season providing less fish to enjoy throughout the season. As well, lowering the size limit to 7” is not practical when the minimum sized fish stocked is 9” Keep in mind that many DHALO areas are on the PF&BC Natural Reproduction List and likely the fish harvested at 7” would be wild fish which certainly is not the goal if harvest and utilization of hatchery trout is the goal.

DHALO areas are only a small percentage of the stream miles stocked by the F&BC and allocated fewer fish per mile over the season and while not harvesting them may seem a waste, the utilization and popularity of the DHALO program far exceeds their worth. In fact it has been determined through the PF&BCs own field surveys and stated by AFM’s that the majority of anglers prefer C&R to Harvest and that likely a significant number of fish remain in the ATWs under general regulation. Why is there is no push to have these fish harvested?

Many users of DHALO areas, personally and through Conservations Organizations, are invested in these stream sections both personally and financially through volunteerism in habitat improvement projects, providing supplemental stockings, taking the time to help with stocking and maintaining access through landowner relations. In addition, many of the areas are open to fishing ONLY because they provide for a restricted use favored by the landowners. I and many others feel this is a finger in the eye to the dedication and commitment of the volunteers and landowners who provide such valuable services to allow the F&BC to publish these areas as opportunities to Pennsylvania anglers.

Kindly consider these comments toward your decision and leave the DHALO program as it stands.

Thank You

Maurice Chioda

Back