PFBC info on trout stream closures due to high temps

PW,

Last night was nice and cool which should have really helped drop the water temps. After mid / late week, we should see the last of the steady heat. I'd suggest giving the creek 3-4 days where the overnight lows get well into the 50's and highs stay in the low 70's. If we get rain, you could bump those numbers a bit. A few cold nights will give the fish the opportunity to spread out a little instead of huddling around a thermal refuge.

Legitimately not trying to be a wise guy with this, but I honestly don’t know, and would appreciate the feedback of others with more experience on Penns…Agree with kray on the temps piece, but is there enough water in Penns for the fish to re-spread out? Currently 47 cfs. Is that enough water to make it possible for them to move around a bit, or will they be temporarily “stuck” in the refuge pools by the trib mouths even in the presence of better temps until flows increase? I'm not trying to insinuate anything about whether or not they should be fished over, but just whether physically it’s possible at that water level for them to move.

For reference, most of my experience on Penns is at about 700 cfs and me trying to not be swept off my moorings.

Water temp in mixed stocked and wild trout water in Fishing Ck, York Co (Craley) was 17 deg C around 10:30 AM. Wild Browns were well distributed throughout the habitat, but were somewhat thin from having gone off-feed when the stream was warmer. Likewise for the stockies from spring. Wild Browns were in a little better shape in the stocked but open to year around fishing stretch of S Branch Codorus. A stocked fish was in good shape.

What about streams that have good Carp or small mouth bass also? There's a few streams I know of that when the temps get higher you put on crayfish patters or carp flies and target them. Plus once the water gets too warm they won't be feeding much anyway.

krayfish2 wrote:
PW,

Last night was nice and cool which should have really helped drop the water temps. After mid / late week, we should see the last of the steady heat. I'd suggest giving the creek 3-4 days where the overnight lows get well into the 50's and highs stay in the low 70's. If we get rain, you could bump those numbers a bit. A few cold nights will give the fish the opportunity to spread out a little instead of huddling around a thermal refuge.

Thanks for the information. I was just curious in case I could break free in a few weeks and camp a night. Didn't know if it was still posted or not, or if they planned to keep it that way for a while.

Swattie brings up good points about the flows. Would be interesting to know how quickly they disperse once flows rise and temps lower.

Back