PFBC info on trout stream closures due to high temps

mt_flyfisher wrote:
I am a PA resident, but I have spent the past 16 summers in MT. I am located on the banks of the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley, 35 miles north of Yellowstone National Park, and I fish many, if not most, of the better known rivers in this part of the world, including ones in Wyoming and Idaho, in addition to MT.

Over my years of being here, I have gained much respect for Montana's Fish, Wildlife and Park's organization in taking a proactive stance to protect and enhance the state's fisheries, and other natural resources, not just for those of us who are here today, but to ensure they will be here for future generations as well.

After reading this PFBC article on stream closures, in context with my experiences here in Montana, I believe PA have really missed the mark.

"...PFBC staff believe this may result in angler frustration with trying to determine when and where they may go fishing..."

C'mon guys. People aren't that stupid. You develop a policy that is aimed at protecting the fishery. You communicate that policy. When stream flows get too low, and/or temperatures get too high, you shut down the fishing. You communicate the shutdowns, and the vast majority of people will understand, RESPECT the reasons for the shutdown, and comply with it.

Worrying about how to enforce a policy should be way down on the list, if on the list at all, in the decision process of when actions should be taken to protect the fishery.

Incidentally, I'm sure most of you know by now that nearly 180 miles of the Yellowstone River, including all of its tributaries here in MT has recently been closed to all recreation, including fishing, because of a massive kill of whitefish by a parasite. This action is unprecedented in the state's history, has a MAJOR economic impact on hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people whose income is derived from this river.

Earlier this past week, i attended a meeting in Livingston, MT, with state FWP personnel, and 300 others to discuss this shutdown. Many people at this meeting are now unemployed as a result of this shutdown, and some of them will loose their entire businesses as a result. However, I have not heard a single person disagree with the river closure, and other than questions regarding when the river might reopen (which is unknown at this time), I don't have any sense that this action has resulted in "angler frustration with trying to determine when and where they might go fishing."

Let's try to do what's right for the fish. In the long run, that's what will be right for the fishermen.

John

Well said, John. No doubt, it'll be met w/ the geographically obvious statement, "PA is not Montana..." as if what's right for trout is somehow different due to geography. Stocking over wild trout populations was detrimental to wild trout in Montana, but PA wild trout can handle it! Fishing for trout in low, warm conditions is bad for trout in Montana, but not for wild trout in PA!

you're right. Most of the angling community will respect the law and comply. And such closers will 1-educate the public who may be unaware that such conditions are bad for trout and 2-communicate that the Fish Commission actually does respect and care about wild trout populations, even at the expense of the "angler's experience".

Come on Fish Commission. RESOURCE FIRST! Why are you kicking against your own mission statement?

I hate to burst your guys' bubble, but people fish over bass nests all the time on the susquehanna and its tribs. Spawning season is when everyone heads out for their big bass of the year. "I was targeting catfish, occifer."

"occifer" LOL! That one might make the Favorite PAFF sayings in the OT forum.

Maurice, Don't be so cynical. As someone who lives near Raystown and Sayers lakes, I hear about the stories of drownings, accidents and deaths caused by drinking and irresponsible boating regularly. Anecdotal stories from users of these lakes are also rampant. Policing the waterways is the best use of their time this time of year(as much as I would like to see them close waters).

Declaring them closed even if they can't be patrolled well enough raises awareness. I believe most people don't realize what harm could come from targeting stressed trout.

Most trout slayers hung up their spin tackle months ago. Those that remain cannot do much harm in my opinion.

JackM wrote:
Most trout slayers hung up their spin tackle months ago. Those that remain cannot do much harm in my opinion.

^Spin tackle guys?....I talk to anglers, fly-fishing anglers nearly every day in the hot summer months looking for a place to fish for trout.

I guess many FFers become inadvertent "trout slayers" in the summer. The guys that bother me are the guys that know and really don't care, and fish anyway.

I do my best to give them the best info to direct them to streams with cooler temps or encourage them to fish for warmwater species in the warm water.

I've started numerous threads on here about "giving the trout a break." Some anglers give them a break, while others....not so much.

I'd really like more people to become aware of how tough it is for the trout in the summers like we are having this year, and hope they refrain from fishing for trout until the waters cool a bit.

It's up to all of us that care about trout fishing and the trout to keep getting the word out.

^ Agree , cools off for two 2 days and rains and hittin the strreams.

The cold cannot get here fast enough for me-

Maybe this story will help:

What a difference a few degrees makes.

It's been a hot summer, brutally so at times, I'd argue. But maybe I'm not the best judge.

We attended a cousin's wedding in far southern Georgia once, a few years back now. It was an outdoor affair on the back lawn of his future in-laws' lakeside home. The setting was gorgeous, and the ceremony was heartfelt.

But muggy?

At one point I leaned in close to my wife, my sport coat grown as swampy as the countryside and sweat beaded on my face like pimples on a high school freshman.

“Listen,” I whispered. “If they don't pick up the pace, how about I yell ‘Gator!' Then we grab the kids and run for the car and the air conditioning.”

She reached over, put her hand on my leg and attempted to crush my kneecap.

I got the message. We stuck it out.

Heat's just never been my thing.

That's why the few recent cool nights were so welcome.

Did you hear what they were saying? They sang of things to come in a voice so soft as to be almost unintelligible. Yet there was no mistaking their message of what's ahead.

Honking geese. Pheasant roosters, unseen but heard cackling in the high grass. The plop of acorns hitting the forest floor. Streams suddenly too cold for wet wading.

There already have been tangible signs of the coming changes, to be sure. The return of school buses to the roads, football and band practices and those end-of-season sales fliers from department stores are harbingers of what's to be.

But cool nights touch the soul and stir longing for days afield in a world that once again will feel crisp, fresh and new.

I'm trying to not let that get me too far ahead.

If you're an outdoorsman or woman in Pennsylvania, there's always something to do outside. They key is taking time to live in the moment.

Focus too much on the crappie spawn in May, and you forget to enjoy some of the best trout fishing of April. Think only of the progress of food plots in July, and you miss the beauty of young wildlife and songbirds and wildflowers on hikes along summer trails. Worry incessantly about being ready for the archery openers in September and October, and you miss out on lazy August nights spent chasing catfish.

There's a time for it all. And the older I get, the more I want to experience each and every outdoors opportunity while it's available.

Soon enough, fall's smallmouths — like little boys pleading for one more tussle with daddy before bed — will fight harder. The bucks that have been so unconcerned about seemingly everything all summer will adopt a gritty, prickly edge. Even the chipmunks will be more frenzied. They've tormented the dog all summer, darting in and out of the stone pile left over from building the fire ring. In the coming weeks and months they'll go into full kamikaze mode, racing and panting, panting and racing, to get ready for winter.

I'll enjoy it all then, just as I'm trying to enjoy what we have now, while it's still here.

Let's just hope it's not too hot. My kneecaps can't take it.

Bob Frye is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at bfrye@tribweb.com or via Twitter @bobfryeoutdoors.

Afish
Where do these summer fly angler's typically say that they intend to fish for trout before you steer them someplace else? I almost never see any anglers or evidence such as boot prints after June in SE Pa. The exceptions, of course, are a few limestone streams, Codorus, the Tully DH area, and the Schuylkill. If I do happen to see an angler on a stocked trout stream where there is a chance of still catching a stocked trout or catching wild trout it is in York Co, where unlike the rest of SE pa, I have always been impressed with trout angler persistence, primarily from the bait and lure sector. Darby Ck, Delaware Co, also sees some later action, as trout tend to persist a little longer there than in the avg SE Pa STW, although some angler's also fish for WW species there. I also run into teen angler's in summer on stocked trout streams who don't realize that those streams are too warm and that the trout are long gone as a result.

Mike wrote:
Afish
Where do these summer fly angler's typically say that they intend to fish for trout before you steer them someplace else? I almost never see any anglers or evidence such as boot prints after June in SE Pa. The exceptions, of course, are a few limestone streams, Codorus, the Tully DH area, and the Schuylkill. If I do happen to see an angler on a stocked trout stream where there is a chance of still catching a stocked trout or catching wild trout it is in York Co, where unlike the rest of SE pa, I have always been impressed with trout angler persistence, primarily from the bait and lure sector. Darby Ck, Delaware Co, also sees some later action, as trout tend to persist a little longer there than in the avg SE Pa STW, although some angler's also fish for WW species there. I also run into teen angler's in summer on stocked trout streams who don't realize that those streams are too warm and that the trout are long gone as a result.

Mike,

You wouldn't believe the number of anglers that are summer trout hunting on the Wissahickon.

I agree with you about harvesting the stocked fish before the water parboils them (your words on here a while back..lol).

In my above posts I'm referring to many of our wild trout waters. When the water temps reach near 70*, just leave them alone and wait to fish when the water cools. Fish for WW fish, or if trout is your only option, do some research and fish a cold tailwater river, spring creek, or put on your hiking shoes and head to the headwaters of a stream in the mountains.

Just look on these message boards for evidence of fly anglers not letting off during the heat.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Just look on these message boards for evidence of fly anglers not letting off during the heat.

Or you could just go to Fishermans Paradise in the summer.

Take water temperature and note that it is 70-74F, then notice all the people fishing.

or at benner springs- the warmest spot on Spring creek.

I just re-read the article on the home page of FFPA about the closures and didn’t pick up on it the first time, but according to the report, it was the DCNR not PAFBC which pushed for the closures. Seems like the pressure needs to be on the DCNR to work with other agencies to get these types of closures in place. Yes seems a bit contrived when it’s the PAFB that writes the fishing laws.

Or you could just go to Fishermans Paradise in the summer.

Take water temperature and note that it is 70-74F, then notice all the people fishing.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
or at benner springs- the warmest spot on Spring creek.

^Yes and yes and hundreds of other wild trout streams throughout PA.

Going back to me original post, I don't think it's practical or even possible for the PFBC to close all these streams.

Again, it's up to us (all PA anglers) to try to get the word out to other anglers about giving the trout a break when the temps rise so high. Seek out streams that remain cooler for trout fishing when we have summer weather like this year.

We all want to enjoy our sport year round. Teach good catch and release practices to all that will listen, as well as mentioning when and where not to catch. We should all try to do this for the good of the sport the other 40+ weeks a year, when we all can enjoy getting out to wet a line and try our luck for trout.

It's just common sense or you just don't care.

Hook_Jaw wrote:

It's just common sense or you just don't care.

It makes sense, but is not always all that common to anglers....and many do care.....when ya tell 'em.

You'd be surprised at how many anglers have no idea about how warmer water effects trout, and even the fact that wild trout actually do exist in PA streams.

Many anglers come back very happy when I suggest trying a different stream that is cooler and is fishing better, or have a great time fishing for WW fish.

True dat'. Honestly, 10 years ago I was mostly ignorant to this issue. I thought if the trout were actively feeding and "swam away fine", it was okay to fish for them. I had to be taught, just like you, Hook_Jaw, had to be taught at some point as well.

My views have changed alot over the years as I have gotten older.

How is Penns these days?

SteveG wrote:
If they actually cited people when they patrol, they'd be fiscally fit. I don't fish it because it's corny, but even one wco could make their pension fund solvent if they actually cited violators at The Run in Boiling Springs.

Oddly the only time I've witnessed someone get cited for a violation was at The Run in Boiling Springs. :lol:

Back