PFBC Biologist Report, SW PA

I just want to point out; given that PA hassomewhere around 4000 brook trout streams, you cannot make a statement about statewide based on even all of the BTE streams there are only 10 of them. Having said that, we must have larger brook trout in streams to propagate more large brook trout.

the WBTEP paper cites this interesting psu master thesis ... data suggest that steeper headwater PA brookie streams have higher trout density...

https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/paper/9990/5536?

the thesis linked above has survey data on about 25 small PA brookie streams with good pH; fish above nine inches were rare.

fits with ideas of wbtep paper that brookies in small PA freestone streams are size limited by slow growth, short life potential, and high annual mortality.

there may be exceptions, but if cropping were a major factor on unstocked streams, just getting to a truly out of the way stream would increase the size of brookies you see given the pH, habitat, etc., of the stream. imho, it doesn't...

This should be updated to be accurate as to the species overview according to the PFBC findings on their current studies.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap15trout.htm

Brook Trout Salvelinus fontinalis Species overview: The brook trout is Pennsylvania’s official state fish. It is technically a char. It is related to the Arctic char of the Far North, the Dolly Varden and bull trouts of the West, and the lake trout. The chars live farther north than most other trout and salmon family members. The brook trout’s original home was northeastern North America, through the Great Lakes, and south along the Appalachian Mountains to Georgia. It is the only stream trout that is native to Pennsylvania. The genus name “Salvelinus” is derived from an old name for char. The species name “fontinalis” means “of springs.” Brook trout are sometimes called speckled trout, squaretails or just “brookies.” Identification: The brook trout’s general body color is dark-green. Looking closer, its back is dark olive-green or gray-green, mottled with dark, squiggly or wormlike markings from head to tail. The sides and belly shade lighter, sometimes with green, gray or even lavendar tones, and additional irregular marks. The sides also have scattered red dots, surrounded by bright-blue halos. The belly is usually pale yellow-orange, with a blackish or gray streak down the middle. The pectoral, pelvic and anal fins are pale to bright-orange with a white leading edge followed by a black stripe. There are dark blotches on the dorsal and caudal fins. The brook trout’s tail fin is less forked than that of most trout and salmon. It’s even squarish. In spawning males, colors become more intense and the belly becomes deeporange. At maturity, wild brook trout may be from five inches to 18 inches long, according to the availability of food in the home stream. Habitat: The brook trout lives naturally in small, cold, clean streams. It also adapts to ponds and lakes, as well as instream beaver ponds. Brook trout are found in Pennsylvania as wild populations in the Ohio, Susquehanna, Genesee, Potomac and Delaware River watersheds. Brook trout are also found throughout the state as hatchery-raised, stocked fish. The habitat of wild brook trout has been greatly reduced in Pennsylvania since European settlers arrived, with land-use changes, mining, and warming and silting of streams, and with other pollution and stream habitat degradation. Naturally self-sustaining populations can still be found in limestone spring-fed streams and cold, mountain creeks. Brook trout can tolerate relatively acidic waters, but not temperatures much over 65 degrees. Life history: Brook trout spawn in the fall, from mid-September through November and may travel to upstream headwaters to find the right spawning spot. Similar to other trout, with violent motion of the body and tail, the female digs a shallow nest depression in the bottom gravel where there is good water flow to bring oxygen to the eggs. The males become aggressive on the spawning grounds, chasing one another, but several males may accompany the female in the spawning act. After fertilization, the eggs receive a small additional covering of gravel, often from females digging new areas just upstream. The eggs are given no further parental care. Eggs develop over the winter and hatch in late winter or early spring. In small streams, sexually mature fish may be only four or five inches long, and produce only a few hundred eggs. A brook trout over 18 inches might produce around 4,000 eggs. In headwater, infertile streams, few brook trout may reach “legal” keeping size for anglers. Large brook trout caught by anglers in Pennsylvania are mostly hatchery-stocked fish. But they may have spent some time in the stream since their planting, grown bigger, and become wary of anglers. Brook trout feed on aquatic and terrestrial insects, both under and on the water’s surface, crustaceans and small fish. They can be caught on a variety of artificial flies, lures and natural baits. Brook trout are relatively short-lived. Few survive in the wild longer than five years.

I highly doubt a hatchery raised fish in a freestone stream has any advantages over wild stocks to holdover another year.

Chaz,
Brook trout anglers who have proposed statewide regulation (reg) changes, such as a reduction in the creel limit from 5 to 2 or a change to all C&R can't have it both ways. Anytime that a statewide reg change is proposed, that sends as strong signal that proponents of a reg change see this as a statewide problem, in this case harvest or overharvest of wild brookies. If it were such a statewide problem and not isolated to just a few waters, then selecting 16 study streams (not 10) of the lengths involved plus additional 7 control streams should have been quite enough to test for the problem and its solution if the problem truly existed to the magnitude that a statewide regulation change proposal would suggest.

Additionally, the waters had other characteristics that made them good models for statewide application. First, angler usage in the subsample of the study waters that were examined for usage was remarkably similar (effectively the same) as the average usage recorded statewide during the 2004 wild trout stream angler use and harvest study. Second, the adult wild brook trout abundance in the study waters was similar to the statewide average of adult brook trout densities in wild brook trout streams.

From my perspective, I think anglers were well-served by this study. For anglers who desire to harvest freestone wild brook trout, I believe that this study went a long way in protecting their enjoyment of their sport from overly restrictive regulations in the future. Anglers who thought C&R regs would produce markedly improved fisheries learned that more conservative regs were generally not the answer, at least on a statewide basis, perhaps because voluntary C&R has become so common (and because of the characteristics of freestone brook trout and their habitats).

I fish 50+ times a year from a 'pool 'of about 160-170 streams. I rarely come across brookies >=10" even in the most remote walk-in only stream. Pressure has nothing to do with it. The sky-is-falling theory of rogue anglers killing their limit each day for a week is exactly that - theory(and bs). I think even the most ardent lover of trout flesh would grow weary of eating 7" trout after a few days. I love pizza but two days in a row I don't want it for a month.

Back