PFBC Adds 6 Waters to Keystone Program

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
From the PFBC press release:

PFBC Adds Six Waters to Popular Keystone Select Stocked Trout Program

HARRISBURG, Pa. (Jan. 24) – Anglers will have additional opportunities to catch 14”-20” trophy trout this season after the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) announced today at its quarterly business meeting that it is adding six new waters to the popular Keystone Select Stocked Trout Program.

The six new waters include:
Berks County, Tulpehocken Creek, Section 7 (1.84 miles)
Cambria County, Chest Creek, Section 3 (1.80 miles)
Fulton County, Big Cove Creek, Section 3 (0.93 miles)
Luzerne County, Harveys Creek, Section 4 (1.70 miles)
McKean County, Kinzua Creek, Section 4 (2.29 miles)
Venango County, Oil Creek, Section 7 (1.55 miles)

The original eight waters include:
Chester County, Middle Branch White Clay Creek, Section 3 (1.67 miles)
Dauphin County, Wiconisco Creek, Section 3 (0.74 miles)
Lackawanna/Wyoming Counties, South Branch Tunkhannock Creek, Section 4 (0.99 miles)
Lawrence County, Neshannock Creek, Section 3 (2.67 miles)
Lycoming County, Loyalsock Creek, Section 5 (1.49 miles)
Potter County, First Fork Sinnemahoning Creek, Section 4 (1.67 miles)

Somerset County, Laurel Hill Creek, Section 3 (2.33 miles)
Westmoreland County, Loyalhanna Creek, Section 3 (1.67 miles)
Under the program, approximately 4,500 large trout will be distributed among the 14 waters. The trout will be stocked at a rate of 175 to 225 per mile, which is comparable to the numbers of similarly sized fish in Pennsylvania’s best wild trout waters.

The waters are regulated under Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only (DHALO) regulations, which provides the opportunity to catch these fish multiple times. Under DHALO regulations, waters are open to fishing year-round, but anglers can harvest trout only between June 15 and Labor Day and the trout have to be a minimum of nine inches. For the rest of the year, these waters are managed on a catch-and-release-only basis and the creel limit is zero. Tackle is limited to artificial lures and flies.

Could be a disaster for the Tulpehocken.

I think the Tully makes perfect sense for this program and I had favored it when waters for this program were first being discussed.

Larger, special reg waters (which are usually already fished hard anyway) are better candidates for this program in my opinion.

A destination to catch very big trout....What a wonderful idea ....EXCEPT....The big fish craze will draw tons of spin fishermen using treble hooks etc. Also will see additional pressure during warmwater period as same types want a "trophy" once the harvest period begins. For us flyfishers there's something wrongheaded about a program that features big stocked trout as it's main selling point rather than a quality catch and release experience. Going to bet the quality flyfishing experience will be vastly degraded by this decision.Just a hunch.

Have to agree.
But the two, I already fish are on public land.
If I want big fish I fish the Lake Erie Tribs or the Great Lake Erie where the fish "grow" to trophy size. Time for me to find new destination streams.

Im all for this program as long as they are not stocking these pigs over wild fish. Im not sure about the other side of the state, but the streams in western PA in this program are put and take streams. If this program builds interests and brings new anglers to our sport, Im all for it. More license sells = more revenue. I would like to hope the extra revenue gets sunk back into stream improvement programs.

But, 19 miles of big trout waters.
That should space out the fishermen.
Almost on par with waters under eisaments on the Lake Erie Tribs,

I can't say that I am in favor of the Tully added to the list. The worst poaching area is now at the very upper end of the DH area. I did my due diligence last year by reporting it to the area law enforcement manager. He reminded me that there isn't enough personnel to patrol every stream, and few people want to be deputies anymore.

CRB: it's 1.9 miles not 19 miles, representing part of the 3.8 mile DH area. If you were referring to the Tully.

I think it's a good thing especially for the Tully. Tully fisherman get a bad rap. They are either killing fish in 80 degree water with 8x mono or killing trout with treble hooks and bait. Personally i'd take the treble and bait guys over the 8x guys. I think the fear of bait and treble guys is way overblown.

Exactly how is it a "good thing"?

19 miles total in this special regulation waters regulations.
I would like to see the Kinzua Dam become bottom release. Now that would be a truly great thing.

It will allow beginners, children, and other people interested in trout fishing an opportunity to catch large fish without much impact to wild populations. Everyone has to start somewhere. For someone like myself who fishes for wild trout 95 percent.of the time or more it will have 0 impact.

Isn't the Tully a DHALO not a FFO? I don't know why lure guys get a bad rap. Fish don't get gut hooked on trebles. In fact, you are lucky to get them hooked with 1/3 of one hook. Wild fish? Try setting the hook with a spinner on a wild fish before it is gone. Fishing with plastic, wood and metal lures is not bait fishing, plain and simple. I have seen plenty of fly fishermen over-handling fish on the Tully over the years, same with Ridley FFO, even Valley. If you have never fished with anything but a fly rod, how can you assume a guy with a spinning rod is out to kill trout with trebles?? Makes no sense and doesn't give the fish enough credit either. Did you never take a gnat or trico out of a fish's gullet? Please....

In all the decades I fished the Tully DH (and my friends), I never witnessed high mortality due to spin fisherman. I don't think it should be generalized they cause a problem. I do have a problem with catch and release areas that allow bait fishing.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Could be a disaster for the Tulpehocken.

I have to plead ignorance on this one as I have never seen or fished any of these streams. But I do have a question, If they are all delayed harvest and the fish don't holdover what's wrong with putting larger stockers in?

Because it attracts more anglers and likely more spinfishermen. I don't care but that's why.

So you have DHALO areas which are typically dominated by fly fishermen in a moderate use with a perceived mutual respect for space. Now you market it with trophy sized fish with the intent to draw more anglers in order to sell more licenses and you displace the core user base.

Got it, thanks Maurice.

Unlike the PA Game Commission, the PFBC tries to provide positive experiences for its clientele. Maybe not everyone wants to fish for large stocked trout in the select areas, but many do. I appreciate that the FBC tries to provide various types of fishing experiences. Using (and reusing) these larger stocked trout is a positive attempt by the FBC to do something that many anglers obviously want. Kudos -- as long as they aren't stocking over significant wild trout populations.

Meh.

The PAFBC has come up with far worse ideas than the Keystone Select program

I do enjoy fishing the Neshannock DHALO area as it is close by, and they did stock a considerable number of big fish, but the whole concept doesn't excite me.

As for it "ruining" creeks. Gimme a break, most if not all of the DHALO section chosen for this are already rather popular. Have I noticed an increase in spin fisherman on the creek? Yes. Has it been the apocalypse? No.

As a fly fisherman I know that I am probably in the minority on this forum.

Plenty of very nice trout are stocked in this creek every yr.
Why the need to turn certain perfectly nice streams into a destination/carnival for big stocked fish? Stock the fish and be done with it. I like big trout as much as the next guy. Spread them around. Something crass and sickening the way our natural areas are being "merchandized" as public according to license sales is losing interest. Kinda like some old whore who is trying too hard. Teaching beginners that it's about big stocked fish is a bunch of nonsense anyway.Take them to Limestone Springs if that's your thing.

Won't debate spin vs fly but if you have any fishing experience you know the truth. By the way since this is a fly fishing forum I would think fly fishing would be held in higher regard but apparently not. A stream in this region with decent hatches is a very nice thing for those of us who like flyfishing.

Like I have said before (and this thread is a prime example) when you post a stream report on this site it won't be only C&R fly fishermen who see it so keep that in mind.

Back