PFBC 2020 Stocking Plan

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Golden opportunity?!!! :oops:

https://adventures.everybodyshops.com/trout-big-bright-2020/?fbclid=IwAR1r1unnxHdE-M4LixyOaL19mUij56HA8N5Xm9oSgO917TdssL8IIgGD-og

“So any given angler who goes out on the stream, theoretically has twice as many chances to take home the fish of a lifetime as they did before,” added Andy Shiels, the commission’s deputy director for field operations.

The agency has a problem when one of their deputy directors thinks the fish of a lifetime comes out of a white truck.

The fish of a lifetime may, in fact, come from a white truck. People from many different walks of life take up fishing. For some, opportunities are limited and stocked trout fishing is their primary or only interest as an angler.

I can agree with Mike's point here and obviously see where he is coming from. That is certainly not how I perceive my "fish of a lifetime," however, for many, as he suggested stocked trout means fishing. People like it, they enjoy it, and IF IT IS A SUSTAINABLY FUNDED doesn't bother me too much. My only criticism, stop stocking every single CLASS A body of water.

One good thing about more goldens the eagles, osprey, etc will have an easier time picking them out.

Mike- there are plenty of programs out there that allow children and handicapped anglers the chance to catch large fish and I’m not arguing that a large fish may be the fish of a lifetime to these folks. This announcement pertains specifically to the general stocking program NOT programs for children/handicapped.

Mike, you are absolutely correct. Here are some reasons why:

1) Health issues. This applies to me and several anglers I know. I don't travel well anymore, and I depend on the Tulpehocken Creek basin to catch larger fish.

2) Financial issues. Some people just don't have the money to travel to areas where large wild fish are found.

3) Commitments/time: Family, work, volunteer commitments, etc.

I'm sure there are other reasons. I do fish the Tully a lot and I make it a point to talk to other anglers who fish there. A number of them come from south jersey, Philadelphia area, northern Delaware as well as other areas. They think the Tully is a great stream to fish. And the trout there become pretty selective as the season progresses. Meaning it becomes special if they catch a big fish in late May or June (i.e.).

Mike- there are plenty of programs out there that allow children and handicapped anglers the chance to catch large fish and I’m not arguing that a large fish may be the fish of a lifetime to these folks. This announcement pertains specifically to the general stocking program NOT programs for children/handicapped.

What??

HopBack wrote:

What??

Let me be clear. Had Director Shiels stated that stocking these larger fish will give more opportunities for children and handicapped anglers the chance to catch the fish of their life I would take no issue with the statement. For the director to make reference to the stocking of “fish of a lifetime” for the general angling community is misguided in what their mission should be. They should be promoting wild, self-sustaining populations of trout as the fish of a lifetime and note that hatchery fish are simply a way to provide additional angling opportunity. To promote hatchery fish as a glorious creature that is equal to a wild fish is hogwash.

I have no issues with stocking waters that are not capable of natural reproduction. But let’s call them what they are, an inferior fish compared to a stream bred trout. A large hatchery fish is no harder to catch than a small hatchery fish. The large stocker didn’t get large by being wary, rather it got large by someone putting it in a separate raceway and allowing it to chow down on pellets a little longer than the other fish. Once in the stream it is a matter of luck to catch the larger one.

" For the director to make reference to the stocking of “fish of a lifetime” for the general angling community is misguided in what their mission should be. They should be promoting wild, self-sustaining populations of trout as the fish of a lifetime and note that hatchery fish are simply a way to provide additional angling opportunity. To promote hatchery fish as a glorious creature that is equal to a wild fish is hogwash.

I have no issues with stocking waters that are not capable of natural reproduction. But let’s call them what they are, an inferior fish compared to a stream bred trout. A large hatchery fish is no harder to catch than a small hatchery fish. The large stocker didn’t get large by being wary, rather it got large by someone putting it in a separate raceway and allowing it to chow down on pellets a little longer than the other fish. Once in the stream it is a matter of luck to catch the larger one."

A suggestion: Think outside of your own little world.

I like big trouts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a trout swims by in an itty bitty  creek
 You put some power bait in his face 
You get a bite want to pull up tough
'Cause you know that trout was stocked
Deep in the his throat he takes it
He's hooked and he is splashing
Oh baby, I want to get that fishy
And I want to take his picture
My homeboys will be so jealous  

Dear afishinado,

PALLIES!

Be still my heart! There are Philly kids sleeping soundly tonight, and having sweet dreams of a trophy pallie to hang in the den right next to their first stolen keg tap. ;-)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

timbow wrote:
HopBack wrote:

What??

Let me be clear. Had Director Shiels stated that stocking these larger fish will give more opportunities for children and handicapped anglers the chance to catch the fish of their life I would take no issue with the statement. For the director to make reference to the stocking of “fish of a lifetime” for the general angling community is misguided in what their mission should be. They should be promoting wild, self-sustaining populations of trout as the fish of a lifetime and note that hatchery fish are simply a way to provide additional angling opportunity. To promote hatchery fish as a glorious creature that is equal to a wild fish is hogwash.

I have no issues with stocking waters that are not capable of natural reproduction. But let’s call them what they are, an inferior fish compared to a stream bred trout. A large hatchery fish is no harder to catch than a small hatchery fish. The large stocker didn’t get large by being wary, rather it got large by someone putting it in a separate raceway and allowing it to chow down on pellets a little longer than the other fish. Once in the stream it is a matter of luck to catch the larger one.

I think that your opinion is mildly misguided. Many who fish do not fish like I fish or many that I know that fish. I take angling very seriously yet have a lot of fun. I enjoy passing on the patterning of fish during the seasons of many species in many habitats. For most people that fish, fishing is a basic hobby for fun that they keep simple. It is those that complain of licenses going up, that don't know the habits of northern pike just after ice out, and those that are unaware of the abundance of wild trout. Look, if the commission is planning to stock more breeders and golden rainbows then this is probably a good thing for some trout. Why? It probably means less trout stocked overall and less crowding of those wild fish. Many of those big fish will be caught and removed from the system not long after the opener occurs. You can't say that stocking should stop over all naturally reproducing populations. Because of the PFBC initiatives and action protecting water quality and trout, we now know that there are a lot of reproducing populations of trout. And I mean a lot. Now, there are still a handful of Class A streams I'd like to see a cessation of stocking but it is what it is. The most accessible places for people with disabilities tends to be lakes and the commission does stock a fair number of lakes. There, why not? After all those trout probably help the muskies grow larger and even provide forage for large bass, pike, catfish, and other fish. After all trout are soft rayed and kind of low on the toughness scale/food chain. And in many of those lakes they may die from thermal stress/oxygenation problems. We are at a huge plus and better off than any of our fathers was for wild trout here in Pennsylvania.

Meh.

If you are going to catch stocked fish they may as well be big.

Palominos on the other hand.... hate em.

My apologies for the rant and to anyone I may have offended. I was not in a good mood yesterday as I had grand fishing plans for today that got squashed by a change in family plans.

Nice rap...thanks "Sir Stocks A Lot"...easily best post here

To each his own I guess. I never understood the pride in catching a big palomino, or any big stocked fish for that matter. Same as I can't understand the pride in paying to "hunt" fenced big rack bucks.

These fish didn't grow large on their own and avoid predation in some remote location only to be fooled by a skilled angler. They're farm raised and placed in easily accessible locations for any Joe to catch. Also, the fact that people get so wound up about "golden rainbows" is silly. They're purely manufactured animals. Not sure what the great draw is here.

Anyway, I'm sure this will entertain some worm dunkers for next season. Might even increase license sales. Just keep em out of the Class A's or wild brookie streams.

you folks get this all wrong - it is an bald eagle feeding program...

Demeaning those who choose to fish stocked streams, Snobbery at it's best.

Flyfishing is flyfishing, trying to make it anything else is silly. Even stockies acclimate and learn to determine what is and is not good to eat!

Lighten up guys!

If anti-stocking of adult trout was the general consensus among fly anglers, stocked C&R FFO areas would be a waste of fish. To a great extent that would also be the case for DHALO areas since angler use data showed that about 70 percent of the anglers were fly anglers.

Another article about 2020 stocking >

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/10/twice-the-trophy-trout-will-be-stocked-in-2020-by-the-pennsylvania-fish-and-boat-commission.html?fbclid=IwAR3ElFqwYte4pAGzF5kP2IZdqc6PfM519wqbT2rjYTaokWWYyulw3fP5ScY

Back