Personal bests

You probably know this but there are only four places in Montana where you can legally target bull trout. Three lakes and the South Fork of the Flathead River. You also need bull trout permits issued from FWP.

wbranch- yes, I never targeted them as I was fishing for salmon or cutthroat.

The first one I caught was a very hot summer day in August up in the National Forest in a tributary of the Bitteroot on a big stimulator. I was very suprised I catch it. It was one of my favorite fly fishing days. In addition; it was the same day as catching my first Westslope Cutthroat. Such a great day, fond memory. I think I ate a steak that night.

Most of the Bulls came on a salmon trip on the Olympic Peninsula, which was a surprise to me. The guide really didn’t mention how prevalent they were in the system we were fishing. If anyone wants a great experience the OP is awesome.

These two were about equals.
First one caught on a big deep Clouser half n half
Second one caught on a brook trout hang time pattern.

Attachments

• Pike1.jpg
    Pike1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Pike2.jpg
    Pike2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice fish Akid & D-nymph. GG

Nice pike, have yet to catch one on the long rod.

WBranch, you weren't fishing near Livingston Mont. on the Depuy. I fished there once and saw huge Browns rising to PMDs.

The lower Henrys Fork, below Mesa Falls, grows some of the largest browns of any river in the country.

fishhead- ever take a boat down the grandview slide access below the falls? Seems like a wild trip.

Many times. The Cardiac Canyon float is one of the most beautiful in the West and you usually have the canyon to yourself as it is not easy to get into. Highly recomend it if you are in HF country.

No boats, though. Only rafts.

Back