Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission looks to create premium trout fishing opportunities

SEPA I think the Tully is already well utilized. Good access, though.

Tough to think of another good stream in SEPA though someone mentioned the Quittie. If a place could use an economic shot in the arm, the Lebanon area qualifies, IMHO. I believe it is in SC Region

NEPA The Lehigh River has excellent access in the Whitehaven region, and adding a DHALO section might bring better utilization to some sections of that river.

Mud Run in the Poconos, in the State Park DHALO section could be a good section. Cold water all year.

Other than Pine Creek, not familiar with a lot of NCPA. Perhaps Allegheny River in Potter County? Long section of 2.7 miles open for DHALO.

Not familiar with NW or SW PA.

However, I disagree with you. Fishing for abnormally large stocked trout is not real fishing - its for kids and beginners.

I have fished for wild and stocked trout for over 20 years. I have used the same tactics for both, had success fishing for both, and enjoyed both equally. There are a lot of factors and skill sets that go into the "skill level" required to catch fish.
Lets assume we have a heavy, freshly stocked 20 inch brown and a 12 inch wild brown. The wild brown may be more selective and finicky, requiring much greater skill as far as choice of fly and presentation to get a strike. The large stocked brown may hit whatever fly you flog the water with, requiring no more skill than getting it out there to him(never actually works that way). Both fish get hooked, and then the skills required change. Now the guy with the heavy 20 inch brown has, in my opinion, one of the hardest feats there is in fly fishing...actually landing the big trout. The 12 inch wild trout...routine. I've been doing it forever. The 20 inch stockie is still a challenge, and always will be.
Then we have the wild brook trout, that will strike anything you put on the water as long as you don't spook them. They require expert stealth and presentation, but are far less selective and are the easiest to land. Sometimes I snap them completely out of the water and onto the bank by mistake. They are what we learned to catch first when I was a kid and a beginner...wild trout.
There is no denying a large wild trout is the top of the list for all skill sets, and the top "trophy" to be had, but a large stocked trout that has held over is far from beginner level. They grow wiser with time just like a wild trout does. There is a point at which they become just as selective and finicky as wild trout, and usually by that time you can't tell the difference by looking at them. They are certainly rarer and harder to catch than 10-12 inch wild trout on limestone streams.
I could see how your position would offend people. It implies that anyone fishing for a stocked trout is a beginner, or is lacking in skill and beneath you. I would be offended if I didn't know it was complete, nose held high, BS.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
The Lil' Skuke is a GREAT candidate, in my opinion. Just a few months ago Mike was hinting that unless more people started using the DHALO section, it very well could be going away. Well....put a few giant pellet heads in there.

Seriously. The Commission may want to think about using some of these "under utilized" DHALO sections for this project. It would genuinely be interesting to see if traffic goes up.

I believe the section Mike mentioned was ATW below the DHALO area. I've never had much luck in the DHALO area, but above there are plenty of wild fish. The one trib I've fished that empties either into or very close to the DHALO holds wild fish too. It would seem there has to be wild fish in the DHALO and the timing of my visits were just off for some reason.

There has to be a better candidate in that region.

Reeder wrote:
However, I disagree with you. Fishing for abnormally large stocked trout is not real fishing - its for kids and beginners.

I have fished for wild and stocked trout for over 20 years. I have used the same tactics for both, had success fishing for both, and enjoyed both equally. There are a lot of factors and skill sets that go into the "skill level" required to catch fish.
Lets assume we have a heavy, freshly stocked 20 inch brown and a 12 inch wild brown. The wild brown may be more selective and finicky, requiring much greater skill as far as choice of fly and presentation to get a strike. The large stocked brown may hit whatever fly you flog the water with, requiring no more skill than getting it out there to him(never actually works that way). Both fish get hooked, and then the skills required change. Now the guy with the heavy 20 inch brown has, in my opinion, one of the hardest feats there is in fly fishing...actually landing the big trout. The 12 inch wild trout...routine. I've been doing it forever. The 20 inch stockie is still a challenge, and always will be.
Then we have the wild brook trout, that will strike anything you put on the water as long as you don't spook them. They require expert stealth and presentation, but are far less selective and are the easiest to land. Sometimes I snap them completely out of the water and onto the bank by mistake. They are what we learned to catch first when I was a kid and a beginner...wild trout.
There is no denying a large wild trout is the top of the list for all skill sets, and the top "trophy" to be had, but a large stocked trout that has held over is far from beginner level. They grow wiser with time just like a wild trout does. There is a point at which they become just as selective and finicky as wild trout, and usually by that time you can't tell the difference by looking at them. They are certainly rarer and harder to catch than 10-12 inch wild trout on limestone streams.
I could see how your position would offend people. It implies that anyone fishing for a stocked trout is a beginner, or is lacking in skill and beneath you. I would be offended if I didn't know it was complete, nose held high, BS.

I'm not talking about holdovers. I'm talking about large trout dumped out of a truck into a short stretch of water or a "trophy area". This is fun for kids, beginners, and probably a lot of other people, myself not included. To me it is not real fishing. Most of the challenge is finding the fish. When the state designates an area and stocks it with large fish, the finding the fish part of the equation is solved. I still think this is good for kids and beginners and if it is put into place I hope it isn't abused and crowded out by more experienced fisherman.

The closest thing I have fished to something like this is the salmon river, and I don't particularly enjoy it, although I did greatly when I was younger and starting up.

I believe the section Mike mentioned was ATW below the DHALO area. I've never had much luck in the DHALO area, but above there are plenty of wild fish. The one trib I've fished that empties either into or very close to the DHALO holds wild fish too. It would seem there has to be wild fish in the DHALO and the timing of my visits were just off for some reason.

There has to be a better candidate in that region.

There are in just about every region but working with the guideline of DHALO limits the scope greatly. This is why I would like to hear Mike's input on this but he has gone silent.

Now doubt the idea will generate some added fishing in those areas but what I really see is a perfect place for guys to poach bigger fish. Not sure if the fish commission realizes the can of worms it might open there.

In other news why the heck don't they come up with a wild trout program! They don't have to spend money to raise wild fish.

http://fishandboat.com/news/2015pr/big-trout-program.htm

"the PFBC wants anglers to help name the program by casting votes online at http://fishandboat.com/stocking/large-trout.htm."

I think we should have a contest here to name the program and then hold off on voting until a consensus is reached. Then we can all vote en masse and overwhelm the process.

My first entry is: The Meal-and-a-half Program.

Next entry:

My Trout is Bigger Than Yours

How about Heron Enhancement Program?

I like my trout is bigger than yours

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission looks to [d]create premium trout fishing opportunities[/d] do anything possible to sell a few more licenses to support its growing pension liability and as a result will introduce its "My Trout is Bigger Than Yours (An Even Bigger Truck Full of Fun)" program in 2016.

These fish will measure from 14” to more than 20” in length and will be stocked at a rate of up to 250 trout per mile. Many fish will be our most popular and easy to see "lightning trout." An opportunity to catch one of these genetic beauties is sure to bring out the worst in angler behavior.

The eight streams will be distributed broadly across the state so that at least one water is located within a reasonable distance of all of Pennsylvania’s [d]anglers[/d] poachers and resident heron population.

Anything to make you feel better about yourself to sell a license program. It does not get any easier than this gentleman and anglers step right up. The greatest fishing Carnival in the US of A. Come enjoy Pennsylvania.

You won't see me there, but c'mon, I'm sure it will be popular and generate some angler interest. Most anglers are not like most of us on here. A good many guys are casual anglers and like to fish in easier places and catch easier and bigger fish. The FBC tries to satisfy the many, if not the majority of anglers that buy licenses. As long as they keep the program off the Class A's & B's, I see no harm in it at all.

Geez, some of you guys are harsh! Though I nearly always fish for wild trout, I thought of driving up to Pine Creek to fish for the big fish during the hatches. I thought it might be fun, till I saw some pics of the large numbers of guys on the water, close together.

But, some guys, like the mobs who go to fish Penns during the Green Drake hatch, don't mind that, and having 8 more locations spread out throughout PA might not be a bad thing -- as long as none of the projects are established on wild trout streams.

I give the PFBC credit for trying something that has been popular and well-received in one place in their efforts to promote fishing. I also respect their advocacy for wild trout, though YWC's continued stocking is an exception.

It won't impact my buying a license or not. But I'm not the target audience of this endeavor by the PFBC. A few (or probably more than that) years ago, one of the hatcheries was over their biomass allocation, so they dumped a bunch of breeder fish into the DHALO and FFO areas preseason. It was actually a lot of fun to fish for the big rainbows in the West Branch of the Octorara, but I believe the fish density was probably a wee bit higher than what is proposed with this new program.

They are not planning to produce more large trout. Just shift about 10% of the large fish into DH areas.

Large trout cost more to produce than the typical 11 inchers because they must be held in the hatchery an extra year.

So it makes sense to put some of these large expensive trout in a DH area, where several people can have the fun of catching it over the spring season. Rather than putting it in a general regs area where it is likely to removed before noon on opening day.

Bucket brigade big trout program.

troutbert wrote:
They are not planning to produce more large trout. Just shift about 10% of the large fish into DH areas.

Large trout cost more to produce than the typical 11 inchers because they must be held in the hatchery an extra year.

So it makes sense to put some of these large expensive trout in a DH area, where several people can have the fun of catching it over the spring season. Rather than putting it in a general regs area where it is likely to removed before noon on opening day.

This isn't so much directed toward you troutbert, just using your post as a place to start. The DHALO I've fished the most is already stocked by fish by the PFBC and a private organization that puts plenty of large fish in. How many trout can an area hold? If even more large trout are put in will there be room and food for them all? Will the large trout push out the smaller trout that the state stocks into ATW water?

Does even make make sense to put the smaller fish in still?

Since they'll be delivered by the great white fleet, how about Meals on Wheels? Maybe they'll take another stab at changing the DHALO regs too.

Back